Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Updates – Noticeable Trends

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
GMAT Updates – Noticeable Trends [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 08:18
A useful read from Manhattan Review Newsletter.

----------------------------------------------------

Based on quite a few recent student reports, the GMAT is becoming increasingly challenging, both on the math and verbal sections. Therefore thorough and serious GMAT preparation plays a crucial role in scoring high. Practice, practice and practice to get your time management under full control!

Here is a summary of recent trends, which might not be representative for all GMAT tests.

Verbal Section

Reading Comprehension: Instead of 3-4 passages, you may see 4-5 passages now with 2 science passages (non-social science) in the same exam. Some of them can be much longer or shorter than normally expected.

Takeaway Point: Gaining time from finishing Sentence Correction problems seem to become more and more inadequate. You also need to practice Reading Comprehension more diligently as it takes significantly more time and concentration to skim through each passage and jot down notes either mentally or physically.

Sentence Correction: Out of 14-15 questions in this category, you might see 3-4 fully underlined problems in the same exam.

Takeaway Point: This means that instead of zeroing in on the common errors of parts of a sentence, you should also work on most efficient and grammatically correct sentence construction to convey the underlying logic clearly. This skill also ties with your AWA practice.

Math Section

Data Sufficiency: This is an increasing number of Data Sufficiency questions, making it harder to score high, as most students have more issues with this category.

Takeaway Point: Practice more with Data Sufficiency after you get a good handle on problem solving. Do not become complacent at your math skills. Get more used to drawing conclusions based on conditions, while skipping the interim calculation. Data Sufficiency prepares you well to be a manager who is comfortable with making quick calls based on limited resources and information!

Problem Solving: The difficulty level is increasing. So study all the advanced topics as well!

Sample Question:

If g(n) represented the product of every even integer from 2 to n, then g(80) + 1 is divisible by the lowest prime number p. P is:

A. Between 1 and 10
B. Between 11 and 20
C. Between 21 and 30
D. Between 31 and 40
E. Greater than 40

Last edited by financeguy on 27 Sep 2007, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 09:19
Very nice. Have any of you whom have taken the test had this experience???

Also is the answer E?
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 09:26
you have to take it with a grain of salt though. manhattan gmat is not going to report that the gmat is getting easier, and less study is required.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 14:45
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Very nice. Have any of you whom have taken the test had this experience???

Also is the answer E?

hold on. Answer should be D not E. Was thinkin bout this on my way to smoothie king.

2*4*6*8*10.... can be rewritten as 2^50*(1*2*3*4*5...39*40) +1

So we have all the primes from 1-40. Ans should D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Updates – Noticeable Trends [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 18:58
financeguy wrote:
A useful read from Manhattan GMAT Newsletter.

----------------------------------------------------

Based on quite a few recent student reports, the GMAT is becoming increasingly challenging, both on the math and verbal sections. Therefore thorough and serious GMAT preparation plays a crucial role in scoring high. Practice, practice and practice to get your time management under full control!

The first line should read:

"Based on insufficient anecdotal evidence..." :wink:

And who the hell really keeps accurate track of what is going on whilst sitting for the GMAT? Sure, we might remember some info... but to much processing power is being used to try and score points. recollections of what really happened on test day are bound to be severely distorted.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 04:49
What do you expect a gmat prep course to say? "The GMAT is getting easier." With even less practice you can do just as well . . .
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 665 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 05:20
The GMAT is getting more and more difficult and the pope is not catholic either. The gang is right about their skepticism.

Not to oversimplify this, but remember that the difficulty level of a question is determined in large part by the test takers themselves.

I am surprised to see this coming from MGMAT. Thought they would be the people most likely to know what statistically significant means.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 47

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 16:04
Expert's post
Hi, guys

I'm an instructor for ManhattanGMAT. Please note that the above "report" is from Manhattan Review, not ManhattanGMAT. We're not the same company.

We do send instructors into the test every month and get extensive reports back on the test trends - but these reports are from our expert instructors who have been doing this for years. [EDITED TO ADD: just want to make clear - while we do monitor trends re question types and topics, that sort of thing, we absolutely do not memorize or attempt to reproduce official test questions. It's illegal to do that. Back to your regularly scheduled post.]

We don't gather anecdotal data from our students and report that to the world at large. I certainly pay attention to what my students say about the test, but reports from non-experts are really unreliable. I just had a student say in class that he had 5-6 probability questions on his last MGMAT test. I pulled up his test and showed him that he'd had exactly 2.

Happy studying! :)

P.S. IF A MOD SEES THIS - can you please edit the original post to replace our name (ManhattanGMAT) with the correct author of the piece - Manhattan Review? Thanks!

Last edited by StaceyKoprince on 04 Oct 2007, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 17:51
skoprince wrote:
Hi, guys

I'm an instructor for ManhattanGMAT. Please note that the above "report" is from Manhattan Review, not ManhattanGMAT. We're not the same company.

We do send instructors into the test every month and get extensive reports back on the test trends - but these reports are from our expert instructors who have been doing this for years.

We don't gather anecdotal data from our students and report that to the world at large. I certainly pay attention to what my students say about the test, but reports from non-experts are really unreliable. I just had a student say in class that he had 5-6 probability questions on his last MGMAT test. I pulled up his test and showed him that he'd had exactly 2.

Happy studying! :)

P.S. IF A MOD SEES THIS - can you please edit the original post to replace our name (ManhattanGMAT) with the correct author of the piece - Manhattan Review? Thanks!

Hi skoprince,

I am the one who started the thread and I have edited the post to reflect the correct name.

I don't remember signing up to a Manhattan Review newsletter and at the same time, I registered myself with your company by buying the practice test so my assumption was that it was you guys who were sending this newsletter.

Are you sure you don't share customer databases etc. with them?

Thanks
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 47

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 10:46
Expert's post
Nope - we don't share customer info with anyone, nor do we share anything at all with Manhattan Review. We've been doing our best to separate ourselves from a company that chose a very similar name to ours. We've got a lot of (good) brand recognition and we want to make sure we aren't confused with other companies in a possibly negative way.

I went onto Manhattan Review's web site and found that article posted there - it's definitely theirs, not ours. (And, as I said, we wouldn't report anecdotal evidence from students in that way, nor do we need to. Our own instructors gather that kind of data.) Any email you get from us will say ManhattanGMAT on it. (All over it, really - that's what marketing's all about! :)

Happy studying!

p.s. thanks for editing the original post - I appreciate it!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 11:06
bolded and underlined!

That really is a terrible infringement on brand recognition. Many newcomers here get confused between the two companies.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 15:48
Why isn't the answer A. a prime number between 1-10?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 20:20
First key is to recognize that it is an arithmetic progression.

For an arithmetic progression the nth term is a+(n-1)d where a is the first term and d is the common difference.

Here the first term is 2 and the common difference is also 2.

g(80) or the 80th term = a+(80-1)d=2+(79)2=160.
so g(80)+1 will be 161

Now start dividing by the lowest prime number and you see that it is not divisible by 2,3 or 5. First prime number that divides is 7.

So the answer is A.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 19:09
The answer is E. Since the newsletter is from Manhattan Review, the best way is to check with them directly at info@manhattanreview.

My roommate Al just finished a long course (8-week) with them and scored 720. Manhattan Review was started much earlier than Manhattan GMAT and has courses around the world. So apprarently it is a misconception that they are a newcomer. Al's instructors were John Beer and Stephan Riemersma. I took one of their classes and had John. He is really great with explaining concepts clearly to students. One of the students mentioned that he is the best instructor he has had over the past 10 years.

I would suggest them to send some instructors to post at this forum just like Manhattan GMAT does. Otherwise, it seems that no one is clarifying for Manhattan Review. They have a great Grand Central location, just 5 minutes away from my Madison work location. Also most of their instructors have about 10 years of college-teaching experience.

Al is signing up for their MBA admissions essay review service.

I hope they will take my advice soon and have some instructors post actively on this board. More New York midtowners will benefit! Also one awesome thing about them is that they actually have TWO instructors teaching each coruse. one for verbal, one for math.

Got to go to start my studies and my application essays or check out some other posts...
  [#permalink] 30 Sep 2007, 19:09