Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 21:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Verbal for non-native speakers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

GMAT Verbal for non-native speakers [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 22:41
Hi GC Community,

As a native speaker, I did not have much problem with the Verbal section. I have a few non-native speakers who approached me for advice on tackling the Verbal portion. For a lot of things, I was struggling to explain to them why I chose the answer choices I did. For me, it "just was".

Could those of you on the forum who have been through GMAT Verbal prep as non-native speakers share some tips on how I can help my friends? Any suggestions for approaches, resources etc. would be very helpful.

Thanks,
westy
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 642 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Verbal for non-native speakers [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 09:03
Expert's post
westsidah408 wrote:
Hi GC Community,

As a native speaker, I did not have much problem with the Verbal section. I have a few non-native speakers who approached me for advice on tackling the Verbal portion. For a lot of things, I was struggling to explain to them why I chose the answer choices I did. For me, it "just was".

Could those of you on the forum who have been through GMAT Verbal prep as non-native speakers share some tips on how I can help my friends? Any suggestions for approaches, resources etc. would be very helpful.

Thanks,
westy

Westy,

The good news for non-natives is that the GMAC folks have put less and less emphasis on idiomatic phrases than they have in the past. The focus has shifted more towards structure and meaning - a topic we cover very well in our course.

We've helped tons of non-natives turn their disadvantage into an advantage on the GMAT. We invite you to read about this non-native story here: http://www.gmatpill.com/the-gmat-pill-m ... l-student/

What is your friend looking for? If your friend is looking to identify every grammatical item into a fancy name such as subjunctive clause or participial phrase - then we won't be able to help. Quite frankly, if your friend learned all of this complicated jargon, most likely he/she will just get further confused.

But if your friend is looking for frameworks to help him/her identify structural issues in a sentence and where the important part of the sentence to focus on is - then we can help.

Here is a sample video: http://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... -lo-mo.mp4

See if the video above makes sense to your friends.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GMAT 2: Q V0
GRE 1: 327 Q161 V166
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 115

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Verbal for non-native speakers [#permalink] New post 28 May 2014, 22:05
I am a non-native speaker. MGMAT verbal guides were tremendously helpful for me to get 46 on verbal. I think it is impossible not to improve if you read them carefully.

Please consider giving 'kudos' if you like my post and want to thank :)

Read about my journey to 750 here - a-non-native-speakers-journey-to-99-le-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Re: GMAT Verbal for non-native speakers   [#permalink] 28 May 2014, 22:05