Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Verbal Question Types

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
GMAT Verbal Question Types [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 23:47
Anybody gave GMAT lately , did the verbal part seems like Greek, unfamiliar question types etc. I gave GMAT ON 13th November where I saw a RC passage in the middle of the test where questions types were similar to CR such as parallel the reasoning , evaluate etc ; I am not sure whether they were experimental but they sure affected my performance , as it threw off my timing . I had concerns before my GMAT test about new type of application RC questions which were new in OG13 and Exam Pack 1. Well the my concerns were true I got 4 passages in GMAT , 3 of them difficult ,the last 1 I got in the end . Also CR is not usually of common types , it like giving Exam Pack 1 Verbal 50% of it goes above your head. . After Changing SC pattern is GMAC changing CR , RC question types . I am trying for search these new question types but cannot find them online, its hard to find them.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Verbal Question Types [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 10:33
While you have mentioned that CR and RC has changed, you have also mentioned that SC has also been changed. Can you let me know how SC has changed?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Verbal Question Types [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 21:15
I am sorry SC changing is old news ,its more meaning based now whattest prep companes are already changing now , did You give exam pack 1 verbal , gmat verbal is more like it.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Verbal Question Types [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 01:18
sukhman wrote:
I am sorry SC changing is old news ,its more meaning based now whattest prep companes are already changing now , did You give exam pack 1 verbal , gmat verbal is more like it.

What date did you give the test on? It is possible that if you were doing well on the verbal section before you were thrown off your timing you would have gotten some of the harder questions.

I would recommend working on the basics without too much attention to detail when it comes to analyzing questions. My test day experience might have been different but I took the test in mid December and after the test I had no idea on how many questions or the level/type of questions in different sections that I had to face. While giving the exam your focus should be solely on solving the questions and moving on to the next one as as soon as you've solved one. You might need to work on ways to focus solely on the current question you're looking at. There is no point in analyzing the type and difficulty of questions while the real test is going on. In fact it would not help you even during mock tests. It will just be a distractor and throw you off track!

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Last edited by soods26 on 20 Jan 2014, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Verbal Question Types [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 01:23
This post received
KUDOS
May be you are right , I was left with almost 20 questions for 20 mins left and then I got 2 RC passages . I tried to finish the verbal by rushing then and ended up scoring only 23 . Even in Quant , couldn't finish the section where I got 39 . Well there is lot of disturbance at Indian test centers because people simply lack manners , when they finish the section or test before you , they start talking loudly . I picked up smaller centre because of bad experience with Toefl in Delhi. For TOEFL Test in Delhi too people were simply too loud , when I protested to proctor he said its Toefl , I told him I had given it twice. More the younger candidates , more noise, even in my GMAT in 2007 Delhi Yusuf Sarai Centre , there was construction work going on then, its very disappointing ! No I am analysing it now because I dont want a repeat of that in my Next Exam which I am going to give soon , if a person doesnt learn from experiences , no use . Anyways I have a good memory as I am able to remember some questions from GMAT specially ones that I am not able to solve , Well I remember question from Quant which I got again 6 years of gap , I was not able to solve it then ; I also recognised RCs which I got in 2007 and now appeared in Official Material . Ofcourse I dont disclose those questions to other people and neither I interact with somebody else except discussing study methods and all.
I cant even judge how 650 and 700 and 750 question differ in content , I just know if answer choices are close , the material is dense its a difficult question.

Last edited by sukhman on 20 Jan 2014, 01:50, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 7

Re: GMAT Verbal Question Types [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 01:25
This post received
KUDOS
sukhman wrote:
May be you are right , I was left with almost 20 questions for 20 mins left and then I got 2 RC passages , ended up scoring only 23 . Test Date 13th Nov 13.

Realistically speaking your chances to get a good score start declining as soon as you have less than 90 seconds left on an average for each question, unless you are only left with last 3-4 questions.

You should work on your timing before you think about question difficulty. Don't lose heart; be the best you can be :) All the best!

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Re: GMAT Verbal Question Types   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2014, 01:25