Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Victory: 710 (Q47 V41)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
GMAT Victory: 710 (Q47 V41) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 14:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi All,

I haven't posted much here but I wanted to share my experiences nonetheless.

I took the Manhattan GMAT course in Santa Monica, CA with Pete Eisen. This was a very helpful course in that it provided a good foundation for building one's GMAT skills. Also, the Study Organizer and OG Tracker are phenomenal tools in utilizing all of their resources. Also, I found their practice CATS to be good preparation for the real thing.

That said, I don't think the MGMAT guides + OGs are sufficient to break the 700 barrier. I utilized other online resources such as the tests to break through. I felt like I needed more questions to practice to gain overall comfort. As I stated below, I utilized these tests on a daily basis for endurance and silly error catching mistakes. I would get about 27 of 37 right on average.

All in all, I would recommend taking a course, if one has the means. It is a small investment to make when considering the overall cost of bschool. But no one should think a course by itself is sufficient.

I prepped from April till August, though I had a very tough project in late June that minimized my studying to about 8 hours (working 15 hour days). Until this time I used MGMAT materials pretty much exclusively. I had originally intended to take the test July 28th. After I got the 650 on the GMAT Prep 1, I panicked and delayed my test to August 25th and scoured the internet for more resources. Once that project ended, I didn't have to travel for a few weeks and I got a good 25 hours a week in. This is when I discovered GMAT Club and did 1 quant test a day. The last week, I didn't do much except review my problem areas, idioms, and keep my mind sharp by repeating tough OG problems.

Day of:
I had gone to sleep by 11 the night before and woke up around 715 for my 10AM test. I made some breakfast and watched some mindless TV until about 815 when I left to get to the center (45 min away). I had done this drive the Saturday before to ensure I knew where it was. Once I got there, I got some coffee from the Starbucks across the street and came over and signed in. I got to start as soon as I signed in (about 40 min earlier than my time). Took my full breaks, sipping my ice coffee and eating my sandwich during them.

AWAs were fine. I'll update once I receive word, but I feel pretty good about them. I couldn't think of examples for my issue essay and switched 5 minutes in, but i think it turned out decently. I was really nervous/anxious during the first few questions of the math section, then I managed to calm down. I tried not to analyze how I *think* I did because it really didn't matter at that point. Also, I got anxious again at the end of the verbal because I knew my score was around the corner.
Those last few minutes of selecting demographic information were torture! After I finally saw my score, I was awash with relief, with one caveat: Q47 = 79% percentile. I've always heard that top schools want a 80/80 split, so I am a wee bit considered about that. But considering I have a BS in Computer Science and my job is very quantitative, I hope its OK.

If I can help anyone in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Resources used:
MGMAT course + books - rec
OG Guides - obviously rec - cant go wrong with the real Qs
kaplan's premier program - not recommended (used for 2 days and discarded because not enough questions and I already covered theory)
gmat club tests - recommended - if you make silly mistakes, these will help you catch those on a regular basis
beatthegmat flashcards

Scores:
MGMAT CAT 1 - 600 (Q42 V32)
MGMAT CAT 2 - 670 (Q40 V41)
GMAT Prep 1 - 650 (don't remember split)
MGMAT CAT 3 - 670 (Q42 V39)
MGMAT CAT 4 - 710 (Q47 V40)
GMAT Prep 2 - 720 (Q47 V42 - saw some repeats of OG in Verbal)
MGMAT CAT 4 - 680 (Q47 V36)

Real GMAT - 710 (Q47 V41) :-D
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Victory: 710 (Q47 V41) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 15:16
Congrats on the great score.

I agree with you that the OG + some MGMAT books aren't enough. I think they could be, but I don't think people use them properly. I know I didn't. I actually didn't finish the OG books. Did about 10 of the GMATClub math challenges. Did two 800Score.com tests. The funniest thing is that after I took my retake and got a 720 I found out that the hardest OG questions are in the final 1/3 of each section!

I'm thinking of studying like mad (more than I did before) and seeing if I can get 760+ so I can teach at one of the prep courses.

I'm trying to decide where to apply and I may even hold off until next year depending on a job I may get later this year. If I get the job, I'll hold off on business school entirely for a few years. I'll be old going in and applying, but the job would really add some awesome leadership essay fodder (I'd be 1 of 12 people that have a say in a budget of over $1B).

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Victory: 710 (Q47 V41) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 15:37
Congrats Kidro for awesome score. 710 is a very good score and good to go for any business school.
Good luck for application and essay part

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Victory: 710 (Q47 V41) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 15:40
If MGMAT and OG are not sufficient then what are the other sources you are suggesting then for quant part(apart from GMATclub challenges) ?

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Victory: 710 (Q47 V41) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 15:57
Other resources that I used are MGMAT Number Properties and if I needed a primer on any algebra or equation principle, I used the following downloads available here:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/download.aspx

www.purplemath.com is a great website for basics.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Victory: 710 (Q47 V41) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 16:19
In my unqualified opinion, I got the impression that the OG wasn't enough because the problems (in GMAT Prep/real test) became much tougher since its release to compensate for the amount of people doing so well on the Quant part. I was able to get about 88% right on the last third of the OG11, none of which I was truly stumped on. Conversely, on the GMAT Prep, I would see some problems that I just had no clue, which I wanted to see more of during practice. I just feel they aren't enough to prepare one for the tough questions. On the other hand, I think OG + certain strategy reviews (i.e. MGMAT books) was more than sufficient for verbal; this fits given that it is much easier (especially for native speakers) to score in a higher percentile.

I would bet that OG12 will contain many more problems problems that would be considered 700-800 level questions on the current test bank.

jallenmorris, I went through it using the recommended method by MGMAT (grouped together by increasing difficulty + topics for familiarity) and did every problem in all 3 books.

subarao, I think for the quant whatever source you can find that has strictly tough problems would be good. Those resources jallenmorris pointed to look good. Also, the MGMAT question banks contain some good questions, but it seems they have a limited about of 700-800 questions. I definitely was not a fan of Kaplan questions, but some find the Kaplan 800 helpful. Sorry I can't direct you towards other resources, because I really didn't use any.

And thanks for the congrats. Right now, I am not planning on applying until next year, given that I am only 2 years out of UG and up for promotion this year, I think I'll be a much better candidate next year.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Victory: 710 (Q47 V41) [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 20:07
My weak areas are number properties and inequalities. I tried a lot but could not able to get a great source to compensate in these areas ( I am not satisfied with MGMAT number properties book, I think it is too basic and does not contain 700+ level questions).

Re: GMAT Victory: 710 (Q47 V41)   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2008, 20:07