Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 15:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT vs SAT...in reverse!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 20

GMAT vs SAT...in reverse! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 14:58
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I just received an offer from a major test prep provider to be an SAT Instructor/Teacher, contingent on going through a training session and getting an adequate score on a mock SAT. Part of the reason I applied for this job is that I have been diligently prepping for the GMAT for the past month and a half. It has been about 8 years since I took the SAT Exam. My questions are, are there any things on the SAT that I can't prepare for by continuing to just study for the GMAT? Additionally, I took the old version of the SAT which did not include the writing section, although I did take the SAT2 Writing. Are there any major surprises waiting for me?

My high school background:

750 on the verbal with minimal studying (I was always a strong English student who read voraciously), 710 on the math (A huge disappointment that haunts me to this day...I always scored better on the math in practice tests than on the verbal, but nerves did me in on the actual exam)...Note: My vocabulary is very rusty and nowhere near as strong now as it was in high school. I am just looking for general tips on how to study for the SAT in addition to standard GMAT prep. Any and all advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

These are the only likely differences I am aware of from the GMAT and SAT:

Math:
-Use of calculator on the SAT
-Trigonometry is on SAT, but not GMAT (if I recall correctly)

Verbal
-Sentence completion/Vocabulary testing

Writing/Reading Comprehension
-?????? No clue what the differences are here..,would MGMAT Sentence Correction and Reading Comprehension be enough to prepare for a mock SAT?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 36

Re: GMAT vs SAT...in reverse! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 15:43
Two massive differences: GMAT is CAT and designed more with analytic abilities in mind. As a result, there are many other small differences, i.e. Data Sufficiency questions.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 20

Re: GMAT vs SAT...in reverse! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 15:57
Right. I've been prepping for the GMAT for the past couple of months or so, so I am all too familiar with Data Sufficiency questions and how they are unique to the GMAT exam, only. I guess what I am essentially asking is if I continue studying for the GMAT, will I be covering the main types of items which also appear on the SAT (other than vocabulary)? I will have to go through training before I can begin teaching, and I am just trying to get a leg up in the meantime. Additionally, if anyone has some good suggestions of resources to use for SAT prep, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Re: GMAT vs SAT...in reverse!   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2012, 15:57