Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT: When?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT: When? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2003, 22:39
Good day to all,

I'm new here and may not have read all the articles from the forum. :cry:

However, I would like to know when is the right time to start the preparation for the GMAT. This is due to some of the users recommend 6 months, some 2 weeks. So there is some discrepancy there. :?:

Hence please advise me on when is the right timing and what preparation is needed besides the usual :- books, prep test & so on.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

samloke
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2282

Kudos [?]: 8865 [0], given: 3670

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT: When? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2003, 10:12
Expert's post
samloke wrote:
Good day to all,

I'm new here and may not have read all the articles from the forum. :cry:

However, I would like to know when is the right time to start the preparation for the GMAT. This is due to some of the users recommend 6 months, some 2 weeks. So there is some discrepancy there. :?:

Hence please advise me on when is the right timing and what preparation is needed besides the usual :- books, prep test & so on.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

samloke

It is never too early and never too late... it all depends on what score you wannna get and how much time you have.

I would study more than 3-4 months - you will get sick of it.
actually 3 months should be enough... - basically it is up to yourself and there is really no standard. If you feel you covered the topics and are doing good on the practice tests, you are all set :moped

2 weeks - I'd reather go to Vegas and then take the test than study for 2 weeks.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2003, 16:22
Hi Samloke,

Just speaking from my own experience, I wish I could have taken about 3 months to prepare. I decided to apply to MBA programs in December 2002 and most of the applications were due in February 2003 to be qualified for scholarships. As a result I rushed, studied for about 3-4 weeks, and did poorly the first time I took the GMAT. My big issue was timing. The timing for the GMAT CAT takes some time getting used to so I would suggest taking a day or two to get used to the format of the test, then a week or two of math review (if you can't remember some stuff) as well as verbal/grammar review. During week 3 or 4 I would suggest working through some review books (I recommend using the book ETS put out "The Official Guide" for GMAT Review). This will give you an idea of what the real test questions will be like. A supplemental review book, such as "Cracking the GMAT" by The Princeton Review, will provide you with some useful test taking strategies. Then during the last month of review I would work on practice test and definitely get the timing down. When you practice, make sure to spend only the time you will spend on the "real" GMAT on each question. This will help you prepare for the actual test and maybe you will feel a lot less pressure if you have your timing down. It's all about timing and completing each section. The second time I took the GMAT I actually finished the entire test (as opposed to the first time when I finished about half the questions in each section) and as a result my score was considerably higher.

Good luck and hope that helps a bit.
Intern
Intern

Thank You very much [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2003, 16:52
Thanks for the advice. :D
Thank You very much   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2003, 16:52