Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 19:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT won but I am not ready to give up

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

GMAT won but I am not ready to give up [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 01:03
A long post and It's not exactly a debrief, but an attempt to motivate myself and guys with same situation as mine.

My GMAT journey started in early 2009 but after studying intermittently all through the year, I selected 8th Sept 2009 as my GMAT date and took 20 days off from work. On 7th Sept a family crisis destroyed my dream and I dint gave GMAT on 8th.

Depression took over but I again mustered the courage after that incident and started studying around Oct end....Studied MGMAT SC twice, completed OG11 and 12 and tried my hands on Kaplan premier Program and Kaplan 800....I knew I was in better shape this time. My Practice scores were not very bad
GMAT prep1:-690
GMAT prep2-660
MGMAT :-( 580,640,640, 660)

I thought if I am scoring around 660 in MGMAT, I can score around 680 in actual and with this thought i booked 2nd Dec GMAT slot. Quant was ok-ok but I panicked during verbal and rest all's blurrrr. I scored 640(46Q,31V)

I thought it’s better to forget about GMAT, but I came across some very influential debriefs in this forum and decided in June that I will take another shot @GMAT. I studied very methodically this time, starting with Princeton then moving to Kaplan premier program then to OG-11 and OG-12. I also started replying to threads in this forum and this helped immensely in my verbal prep. This time I focused only on my weak areas. My Practice CAT scores were:-
GMAT1:- 720(48Q, 41V)
Knewton :- 660(Don’t remem the breakup)
MGMAT1:- 690(44Q, 39V)
MGMAT2:- 710(45Q, 41V) (with AWA)
GMAT2:- 690(don’t remem the breakup) (With AWA)

With these scores I was pretty confident that I can score 700. I was very relaxed on the day of exam. AWA was easy and I sailed past Quant, everything was working as I planned then after quant I took a quick break. I was always confident about my verbal as during my practice CAT’s I was averaging 39, but don’t know what happened during the verbal section I completely lost the plot. After 15 questions, I started sweating profusely, my hands started shivering and I was feeling very feverish. I just could not concentrate and as time was passing I quickly answered few questions and for almost 10 mins I just closed my eyes and relaxed myself. I told myself that I am not going to give up this easily and attempted last 11 questions with at least reading all the ans. I finished my verbal section 5 mins early as I was not even able to sit. I quickly passed through the GMAC forms and Clicked on YES for score report. My worst fear became a reality and I scored 660(48Q, 31V), not a single point improvement in my Verbal score. I don’t know what went wrong, whether the pressure got better of me or what but GMAT won again.

I am thinking of one last battle with GMAT. I will work Harder and will really build my stamina. I will attempt more full length CAT’s. This debrief is for all those who want to give up. All I can say is “ Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try ”.

I would like to have suggestions on how to build my stamina as sitting for 3.5 hrs in pressure cooker situation is really daunting. Kindly help me guys as time is ticking for me and I am targeting mid of Sept test.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

Re: GMAT won but I am not ready to give up [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 07:58
saorabh wrote:
A long post and It's not exactly a debrief, but an attempt to motivate myself and guys with same situation as mine.

My GMAT journey started in early 2009 but after studying intermittently all through the year, I selected 8th Sept 2009 as my GMAT date and took 20 days off from work. On 7th Sept a family crisis destroyed my dream and I dint gave GMAT on 8th.

Depression took over but I again mustered the courage after that incident and started studying around Oct end....Studied MGMAT SC twice, completed OG11 and 12 and tried my hands on Kaplan premier Program and Kaplan 800....I knew I was in better shape this time. My Practice scores were not very bad
GMAT prep1:-690
GMAT prep2-660
MGMAT :-( 580,640,640, 660)

I thought if I am scoring around 660 in MGMAT, I can score around 680 in actual and with this thought i booked 2nd Dec GMAT slot. Quant was ok-ok but I panicked during verbal and rest all's blurrrr. I scored 640(46Q,31V)

I thought it’s better to forget about GMAT, but I came across some very influential debriefs in this forum and decided in June that I will take another shot @GMAT. I studied very methodically this time, starting with Princeton then moving to Kaplan premier program then to OG-11 and OG-12. I also started replying to threads in this forum and this helped immensely in my verbal prep. This time I focused only on my weak areas. My Practice CAT scores were:-
GMAT1:- 720(48Q, 41V)
Knewton :- 660(Don’t remem the breakup)
MGMAT1:- 690(44Q, 39V)
MGMAT2:- 710(45Q, 41V) (with AWA)
GMAT2:- 690(don’t remem the breakup) (With AWA)

With these scores I was pretty confident that I can score 700. I was very relaxed on the day of exam. AWA was easy and I sailed past Quant, everything was working as I planned then after quant I took a quick break. I was always confident about my verbal as during my practice CAT’s I was averaging 39, but don’t know what happened during the verbal section I completely lost the plot. After 15 questions, I started sweating profusely, my hands started shivering and I was feeling very feverish. I just could not concentrate and as time was passing I quickly answered few questions and for almost 10 mins I just closed my eyes and relaxed myself. I told myself that I am not going to give up this easily and attempted last 11 questions with at least reading all the ans. I finished my verbal section 5 mins early as I was not even able to sit. I quickly passed through the GMAC forms and Clicked on YES for score report. My worst fear became a reality and I scored 660(48Q, 31V), not a single point improvement in my Verbal score. I don’t know what went wrong, whether the pressure got better of me or what but GMAT won again.

I am thinking of one last battle with GMAT. I will work Harder and will really build my stamina. I will attempt more full length CAT’s. This debrief is for all those who want to give up. All I can say is “ Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try ”.

I would like to have suggestions on how to build my stamina as sitting for 3.5 hrs in pressure cooker situation is really daunting. Kindly help me guys as time is ticking for me and I am targeting mid of Sept test.

You did pretty well on the practice questions. Think of the real thing as just another practice test that way you will be a little less nervous.

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 33

Re: GMAT won but I am not ready to give up [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 08:18
You are very much near and you can do this man! Don't lose heart and start over again and focus on your weakness.

Funny, Interesting and Crazy Facts, Photos and Videos!
http://funnyinterestingcrazy.blogspot.co.uk/

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: GMAT won but I am not ready to give up [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 08:21
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT won but I am not ready to give up [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 23:24
@akaydee

I seriously dont know what happened me over there after Quant...All I am trying currently is to build my stamina and take things easily this time around.

@kissthegmat

Thanks alot dude...I thought same last time also. Silly mistakes are the biggest enemy for me especially in Quant :(

@bakfed
Thanks a lot.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT won but I am not ready to give up [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 10:32
I would like to know "how you improved your verbal score" after your first attempt. To get V39 or V41 in practice tests from V31 in 1st attempt to me is nothing less than being on a dream run.

Unfortunately, your test day (2nd attempt) turned out to be a bad day. Nervousness can jeopardize one's preparation, which is what happened I guess in your case. But the good news is that you can get over it.
I'd say you must relax on the day before your test, it is very important that you sleep well on the night before the test, meditate for a few mins if that helps, eat something during the breaks, drink some water and have a tunnel vision for your target score. Keep telling yourself that you can beat this damn test.

Sid.
Re: GMAT won but I am not ready to give up   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2012, 10:32