Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 21:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Won Today -- 530 (Q35, V28)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

GMAT Won Today -- 530 (Q35, V28) [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 12:34
After a month of preparation I gave my gmat today. Scored 530 (Q35, V28) :evil: . Maybe the feeling has not sunk in and I am still feeling ok.

I am not going to talk about my preparation as I dont think its really worth mentioning. Scores show it all.

To be honest, my practice scores were all within this range so I was kind of not shocked or surprised to see a 530 (i was hoping to cross 600). Plus I totally totally screwed up my timing in Math. I had to guess the last 10 questions as I was completely out of time and there were a lot of them which I could solve. By the time I was finished I knew I had screwed up. But I decided to put it behind and go for verbal.

Just want to share some pointers with everyone:

1) AWA - Since no one gives that much importance to AWA scores, I never understood why this section features in the test. But this section really helped me to calm down. I was extremely relaxed till the time I sat on the desk to start the test. First few mins, my mind went blank. But writing the first essay kind of calmed me down. I never spent more than 10-15 mins per essay in my practice test but here I spent almost 25 mins on the first one. Not sure why but I was very anxious. Also these keyboards make a lot of noise. The guy/girl on the other side were typing and I felt as if my head was being hammerred. The ear plugs really helped.

2) Math - Totally solvable. I did not find any difficulty in terms of difficulty of questions. And I am sure I got the initial 10 or so right. But the test gave me more than a couple of ques which asked me to find the answer close to the given options (not exact).

3) Verbal - SC took way too much time (some of them even took 3 mins). I found it more difficult than any practice test I have given (gmat prep including). RC was ok. CR was the easiest with some very direct answers. But I struggled with timing here also. In practice tests I used to take up time in RCs which I would recover in SC ques towards then end. But here I couldnt as the SCs were way too tough.

4) Others - As suggested by many others, I took chocolate and water to eat in the breaks. First break was ok. Drank lot of water and ate a fruit and nut, went to the rest room and got in. Second break I had water and little chocolate, did not go to the restroom as it was occupied. Not wanting to waste too much time waiting, I decided to get in and hit the Verbal section. However, the AC was way too cold this time and since I had drank almost 400 ml water, my bladder was bursting. I knew that I would lose precious time if I go to ease myself. And it became worse with time. Not sure what impact it had on my Verbal section, but just wanted to let everyone know that how external environment can change and go against you. By the way 8 mins is way too short to eat, drink and take a leak so do it fast.

I plan to take the test again. Not sure when but definitely before the R2 apps deadlines.. My practice scores are below:

1) MGMAT - 530 (Q32, V31)
2) GMAT PREP1 - 540 (Q39, V25)
3) GMAT PREP2 - 470 (Q35, V20)
4) GMAT PREP 1 - 610 (Q43, V31)
5) KNEWTON - 520 (Q33, V29) - way off than actual gmat. would never recommend this to anyone. knewton ques were bizarre
6) KAPLAN - 580 (Q36, V36) - last test. i read somewhere that kaplan were most difficult and usually one scores higher in the actual test.

Lastly, the only bright side was I did not feel fatigued during the test. Doing 6 practice tests, mostly with AWAs did help me build stamina.

any advise would help here...!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Won Today -- 530 (Q35, V28) [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 12:37
no matter dude...try harder next time...just read ur signature text:"Even champions lose sometimes"...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Won Today -- 530 (Q35, V28) [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 12:41
Don't give up, come back stronger.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9385 [0], given: 3694

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Won Today -- 530 (Q35, V28) [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 12:54
Expert's post
Sorry to hear about the experience!

What materials/books did you use for your prep?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Won Today -- 530 (Q35, V28) [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 13:05
bb wrote:
Sorry to hear about the experience!

What materials/books did you use for your prep?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

hey BB, how r u..?
I used all MGMAT books for concepts and OG and Verbal Review for practice. To be honest, I know that I did not practice enough which did me in today.
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 71

Re: GMAT Won Today -- 530 (Q35, V28) [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 14:15
nice sig. check mine =)

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Won Today -- 530 (Q35, V28) [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 14:32
vwjetty wrote:
nice sig. check mine =)

yeah......even i love lebron j...

its ironical how we think of fancy signatures after a badass gmat...not funny... :P
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9385 [0], given: 3694

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Won Today -- 530 (Q35, V28) [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 14:42
Expert's post
It's important to take your mind off it for a while :)
many factors impact your score, including how relaxed/confident you are but the biggest issue is how much versed you are in basics such as arithmetic and grammar.

not sure if you saw this post, may help: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

If you have already, then think what contributed to the lower score and don't start working on it again until you figure that out.

Also, see this: veritas-prep-course-98688.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern
Schools: Florida Gulf Coast University, Florida Atlantic University
WE 1: Escrow accountant - title insurance industry
WE 2: Accounting assistant - CPA sole proprietorship
WE 3: Management technician - higher education
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Won Today -- 530 (Q35, V28) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 22:41
You bring up a good point about environment and how you feel that day. When I took the GMAT, the proctor had this big issue with a headband that I was wearing in my hair (I'm a woman). She considered it a "headcovering" and told me in a very condescending way that "headcoverings are not allowed". Given, the headband was made of plastic and about an inch wide. That got her on a kick I guess because she also asked to check my pockets. All the while, others are looking at me like I am some sort of cheater or something. Also I happen to be Black so maybe she was harboring some sort of stereotype or something....because nothing she said made any sense or agreed with reality. Nevertheless, I was very frustrated, and just wanted out of there from the start!

For sure, I was disappointed with my score. I usually do pretty well with standardized tests. However I did not prepare either....outside of just buying a Kaplan book and reading up a bit on how the test is structured. When I saw my score, I had to put things into perspective. The only reason I took the GMAT was to gain admission to the particular MBA programs that I applied to (the GMAT being the only outstanding item for 2 of the 4). So I waited to hear back. I got in to both programs (and cancelled the other applications). I was not going to pay another $250 if I did not have to.

Sometimes you just have bad days...and that can influence your score a lot! We can only do so much, but do what you can to be calm and collected on test day!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Won Today -- 530 (Q35, V28) [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 05:22
One month was probably not sufficient for you. There's always next time...
Re: GMAT Won Today -- 530 (Q35, V28)   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2010, 05:22