Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

gmat yesterday 630 q-41 v-36

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

gmat yesterday 630 q-41 v-36 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2003, 07:44
Took the Gmat yesterday for the first time and got a 630. The math was hard. I go 66% on Quant and 81% on verbal. The verbal was just like the OG the math was not. Four RCтАЩs and all SC were pretty easy. SC used to be my weak area. First a little background. I started studying 2 ┬╜ months ago. Without looking at any material I took the PowerPrep tests and scored a 560 and 620. After that I went through the OG , Kaplan and PR books doing all the problems. My big problem yesterday was the first month I studied using a calculator not realizing I could not use it on test day. Thus the probem 2^31 + 8^22=9^n I did on the caluclator. I got all of those questions right and did not take the time to learn how to do them by hand. I forgot about that and yesterday I spent way too much time on those types of problems. I did not multiply them, but tried to reduce them but couldnтАЩt. I had one prob and 2 comboтАЩs. The combo was # 4 or 5 and the prob question was number 8 or 9. I donтАЩt want to get in trouble with ets, but IтАЩll let you know they were both easier than the prob/combos on this site. I think I wasted to much time on those and not enough on basic ways to reduce and solve problems. I think the Kaplan book/cd is best for Quant. PR is junk- too easy. I got a 720 on one of their practice test. Only the Kaplan cd gave me the rushed feeling that yesterday did. IтАЩm going to work on the basics and take a calculus course and retake in 8 or 9 weeks. Math used to be my strong courses, I know I can do better. BTW, this is a great site thanks to all.

Rich
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

btw- [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2003, 08:04
nothing even close to a test question was in the previous post.

R

"I live in D.C. and am quite aware of all sorts of legal garbage."
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1984

Kudos [?]: 6419 [0], given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2003, 11:26
Expert's post
:lol: Rich,

thanks a lot for the disclaimer. GMAC is your neighbor btw.
GMAC gives me a hard time every time they find something here; perhaps the most annoying this is that the emial they send is around 5MB... I guess they have no clue about the size or even what MB means.

(now that I have given them a few compliments :wink: ), I have a question. You mentioned about Prob/Comb being harder on this site. Would you suggest doing easier problems or it is better to work on harder and then go down to easy stuff?

Again, appreciate your feedback,
Bogdan
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2003, 11:36
If you understand for the most part how to work the perm/comb questions on this site I think your fine. Don't take my word for it, this was the first time I took the test, and only got a 41 in quant. I got my prob/comb questions early so they may get a lot harder the better you do. But for myself, i studied 14 months and I think I spent too much time on perm/prob and should have spent more time on harder number theory and algebra. BTW if GMAC is reading this, I can't get onto your site to schedule a test- Probably too much volume. One last thing. My test was scheduled at 8:30 and I was there 45 minutes early. I took the test at the prometric center where I have taken all of my brokerage exams. They were awesome, when I got there they let me fill out the forms and start the test. This could be a benefit of taking the test first thing in the morning.
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1984

Kudos [?]: 6419 [0], given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2003, 17:04
Expert's post
rich28 wrote:
If you understand for the most part how to work the perm/comb questions on this site I think your fine. Don't take my word for it, this was the first time I took the test, and only got a 41 in quant. I got my prob/comb questions early so they may get a lot harder the better you do. But for myself, i studied 14 months and I think I spent too much time on perm/prob and should have spent more time on harder number theory and algebra. BTW if GMAC is reading this, I can't get onto your site to schedule a test- Probably too much volume. One last thing. My test was scheduled at 8:30 and I was there 45 minutes early. I took the test at the prometric center where I have taken all of my brokerage exams. They were awesome, when I got there they let me fill out the forms and start the test. This could be a benefit of taking the test first thing in the morning.

I love your little message to GMAC!

:lol:

I do think, however, that 14 months was a little too long. It is better to do more intense 3-5 months than a year - you forget what you learnt at the beginning. At least that was my problem.

-=-=-
Manager
Manager

sorry I studied 14 weeks [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2003, 04:09
not months. I write these at work and sometimes I don't give them my full attention. I give it another shot 9/27, I have a little score to settle with the quant. :twisted:
sorry I studied 14 weeks   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2003, 04:09