Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATClub Ambassadors / Ask us about your dreamt bSchool :)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2007, 07:28
lepium wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
Its really cool to have all you guys here to help us out. What would you prefer the 08ers do to contact you guys for information? I ask this because I sent some of you PMs and recieved (insightful) replies. However, some of you did not reply to my PMs. I don't want to be pi$$ing people off by flooding their inboxes. So....please enlighten :)


While I have answered the occasional PMs, I think it would be better to keep things "in the open". I won't be reading any essays or giving some applicant-specific advice, so I prefer to share answers with the rest of the community in the form of general messages. There are several reasons for this, which I include below:

a) The same questions and answers may be useful to more than one person at a time and it would feel unfair to discriminate between the people that PM and the rest.

b) I'm not a professional at this, so by sharing the questions with the community, some arguments or ideas may be countered by others rather than taken as final.

c) As written above, I won't be providing any specific advice, i.e.: I won't commit to reading anyone's essays, so I don't see the need for PMs in my case. Talk to rhyme about essays, if that's what you need.

L.


Yeah, I'd say I'm with Lepium on this.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1814
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2007, 07:33
It's the purpose of my post relating an exchange with postive soul in that direction...

If each school has a thread done for questions/answers about that school, we will have this concept of sharing to all and all can add a view :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2006
Posts: 161
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2007, 09:16
sorry guys, ive been away for a little while - just been recovering from a hernia operation and still am not 100%...

I'm still present but I mirror lepium's comments in that I will try to respond as much as time permits me to.
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2007, 16:32
aaudetat wrote:
lepium wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
Its really cool to have all you guys here to help us out. What would you prefer the 08ers do to contact you guys for information? I ask this because I sent some of you PMs and recieved (insightful) replies. However, some of you did not reply to my PMs. I don't want to be pi$$ing people off by flooding their inboxes. So....please enlighten :)


While I have answered the occasional PMs, I think it would be better to keep things "in the open". I won't be reading any essays or giving some applicant-specific advice, so I prefer to share answers with the rest of the community in the form of general messages. There are several reasons for this, which I include below:

a) The same questions and answers may be useful to more than one person at a time and it would feel unfair to discriminate between the people that PM and the rest.

b) I'm not a professional at this, so by sharing the questions with the community, some arguments or ideas may be countered by others rather than taken as final.

c) As written above, I won't be providing any specific advice, i.e.: I won't commit to reading anyone's essays, so I don't see the need for PMs in my case. Talk to rhyme about essays, if that's what you need.

L.


Yeah, I'd say I'm with Lepium on this.


Agree. I will plug the wiki again here. It is a nice way to consolidate all the information.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 02:32
I really need to find some time to commit to the wiki.

I have some ideas somewhat bigger than my time allowance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1556 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 04:57
3underscore wrote:
I really need to find some time to commit to the wiki.

I have some ideas somewhat bigger than my time allowance.


You and me both man. You and me both.

Actually, I've got a little side business I'm hoping I can get you ambassadors to help with.....PM me if you want to know more. It'll be up and running within the next month and a half, and I'm hoping to get as many of you onboard as possible.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 5

 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 07:33
Maybe a new forum is called for. Make a section for Ask a student/alumni. Each school that has an ambassador(s) can have its own thread. Start each thread out by the ambassador(s) introducing themselves and then people can ask questions. It would probably be easier for people new to the site to find threads related to their schools than the breakdown of ultra-elite, elite, etc...which is a great spot to help narrow your selections down but might not be the right area for asking a question about classes or something.

Also knowing that you are asking a person at the school a question might make it easier for someone to ask a very specific question than what they might ask Hjort. Plus it would eliminate a lot of questions being asked a ton of times about the same school in the application or lifestyle sections and give the ambassadors a real quick spot to check up on questions once they are super busy with school.
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 09:21
riverripper wrote:
Maybe a new forum is called for. Make a section for Ask a student/alumni. Each school that has an ambassador(s) can have its own thread. Start each thread out by the ambassador(s) introducing themselves and then people can ask questions. It would probably be easier for people new to the site to find threads related to their schools than the breakdown of ultra-elite, elite, etc...which is a great spot to help narrow your selections down but might not be the right area for asking a question about classes or something.

Also knowing that you are asking a person at the school a question might make it easier for someone to ask a very specific question than what they might ask Hjort. Plus it would eliminate a lot of questions being asked a ton of times about the same school in the application or lifestyle sections and give the ambassadors a real quick spot to check up on questions once they are super busy with school.


This is a good suggestion. My opinion is that starting a new forum is the easiest part. Keeping discussions concentrated in one forum helps to keep the forum active and avoids duplication of information. The trade off is not always convenient, but if there is no one to answer questions or contribute, the forum dies.

For now, my suggestion is that any admitted members interested in having a thread of their own should just start one. Eventually, we can create a set of links for each school , much like we have done for the applicants thread. If this grows big enough, we can easily move these threads to another forum.

Please do offer your suggestions for anything new we can do. It makes an idea a little easier to implement if the interest comes directly from our members.

thanks
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 09:25
3underscore wrote:
I really need to find some time to commit to the wiki.

I have some ideas somewhat bigger than my time allowance.


3underscore,

Please do send us a message if you would like us to help you.

As I mentioned in this thread before, entering the information in there is probably not too difficult. It will take time, but it can be done. Lepium has graciously agreed to let us use his work on the wiki. I hope others will let us do that too. In general, it would be very nice if the community tries to build up a repository of information on its own.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 10:59
Praet - it is more a grand design of how stuff could flow on there. I just need to actually have the time as the wiki itself is easy as pie (once I remembered to preview rather than save when playing to reduce "updates" on recent changes).

A lot of what I am thinking of is uniforming the GMAT bit. Once I get on to it, hopefully people will like it. Tricky thing is getting an early structure I guess.
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 17:15
3underscore wrote:
Praet - it is more a grand design of how stuff could flow on there. I just need to actually have the time as the wiki itself is easy as pie (once I remembered to preview rather than save when playing to reduce "updates" on recent changes).

A lot of what I am thinking of is uniforming the GMAT bit. Once I get on to it, hopefully people will like it. Tricky thing is getting an early structure I guess.


I am curious now. It is very cool that you are taking the lead.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 20:07
Late but present.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1556 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 21:47
Praetorian wrote:
3underscore wrote:
Praet - it is more a grand design of how stuff could flow on there. I just need to actually have the time as the wiki itself is easy as pie (once I remembered to preview rather than save when playing to reduce "updates" on recent changes).

A lot of what I am thinking of is uniforming the GMAT bit. Once I get on to it, hopefully people will like it. Tricky thing is getting an early structure I guess.


I am curious now. It is very cool that you are taking the lead.


Also curious...
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 07:52
3underscore wrote:
Praet - it is more a grand design of how stuff could flow on there. I just need to actually have the time as the wiki itself is easy as pie (once I remembered to preview rather than save when playing to reduce "updates" on recent changes).

A lot of what I am thinking of is uniforming the GMAT bit. Once I get on to it, hopefully people will like it. Tricky thing is getting an early structure I guess.


I am guessing it would be more sophisticated version of wiki pedia.

Check out a cool new search engine.. All entries in the SERPs are indexed by humans. http://www.mahalo.com/Main_Page

Mahalo comes across as a much more sophisticated , perhaps a glorified wikipedia (thats a good thing).
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 08:06
You address me as having more technical knowhow than I do. But the excellent resource offered by wikipedia but GMAT centric is the sort of thing I have in mind.

I think that the wiki could be an excellent way to catalogue a lot of the useful information on here for GMAT students. Given the vast resource of explained answers, I would like to make it an unparalleled resource below the explanatory layer.

So, under each heading (SC, PS...) it breaks down by type, and then has a list of the questions explained in the various forums, with the best explanation to the answer.

By adding that we can have it that, should it be an old query, it is easy to find a solution to the problem that the GMATclubber is facing. My slight concern is that this might reduce the community, but after consideration I doubt it will. It would offer an easy way to get to search the forums, but would be more clear to access (avoids multiple answers, can explain incorrect answers that are offered by users). Then you could conceivably link to similar questions to help the reader get the hang of that problem set style...

But, yeah, that is what I am thinking about trying. But it is a pretty huge task of archiving the forum in a more user friendly format, in a way that may help a user in an unexpected way.

I might get it done by the end of MBA1...
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 08:11
Linking to Mahalo gives me a few more ideas.

Make it stop! I was meant to just finish the GMAT and move on!
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 08:18
3underscore wrote:
You address me as having more technical knowhow than I do. But the excellent resource offered by wikipedia but GMAT centric is the sort of thing I have in mind.

I think that the wiki could be an excellent way to catalogue a lot of the useful information on here for GMAT students. Given the vast resource of explained answers, I would like to make it an unparalleled resource below the explanatory layer.

So, under each heading (SC, PS...) it breaks down by type, and then has a list of the questions explained in the various forums, with the best explanation to the answer.

By adding that we can have it that, should it be an old query, it is easy to find a solution to the problem that the GMATclubber is facing. My slight concern is that this might reduce the community, but after consideration I doubt it will. It would offer an easy way to get to search the forums, but would be more clear to access (avoids multiple answers, can explain incorrect answers that are offered by users). Then you could conceivably link to similar questions to help the reader get the hang of that problem set style...

But, yeah, that is what I am thinking about trying. But it is a pretty huge task of archiving the forum in a more user friendly format, in a way that may help a user in an unexpected way.

I might get it done by the end of MBA1...


Sounds like a great plan :) If you need a good database to begin with, I recommend the following excellent collection of questions..

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=17460

Your concerns about the wiki affecting the community are valid, but it sounds like you are also making life a lot easier for the members. To me, this trumps everything else.
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 08:26
3underscore wrote:
Linking to Mahalo gives me a few more ideas.

Make it stop! I was meant to just finish the GMAT and move on!


:) You deal with me, You deal with ideas. Some good, Some horrible.

Please take all the time in the world to do this. Its not like we are releasing the next version of OS X.

I was also meant to finish the GMAT and move on. But here I am, almost 4 years later having a great time. I feel like I know so many of you personally and I have learnt so many new things.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 08:31
That set of questions is a great place to start - thanks.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 513
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2007, 15:34
am I too late..did not see an INSEAD ambassador yet, so count me in for INSEAD.
  [#permalink] 10 Jun 2007, 15:34
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Improve Quant and Verbal, PS Problems & B-School Ambassadors atayl0r 0 18 Apr 2013, 08:50
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Club B School ambassadors 2014 souvik101990 14 12 Apr 2013, 09:54
2 Ask B-School Ambassadors Praetorian 16 22 Mar 2008, 23:30
4 GMATClub Ambassadors / Ask us about your dreamt bSchool :) Fig 106 15 Apr 2007, 12:06
B-school ambassadors venky1979 2 19 Mar 2007, 07:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMATClub Ambassadors / Ask us about your dreamt bSchool :)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 107 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.