Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 21:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
9 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 50

Kudos [?]: 348 [9] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 05:28
This post received
KUDOS
Folks,

GMATClub.com was extended an invite from the GMAC to attend the third GMAC Test Prep Summit, which took place on 10/15/2009 in NYC. I attended the conference on behalf of GMATClub.

GMAC has hosted a conference every two years (2005, 2007, 2009). The attendees of the conference were all groups or companies that offer prep for the GMAT. I was able to connect with people from beatthegmat.com, MGMAT, Veritas, score800.com, Princeton, Griffon Prep, Bell Curves, Manhattan Review, Ace Prep, etc.

The conference was rolled out to provide more outreach to test takers. Prior to this, the GMAC was focused on maintaining relationships with the schools and not much else. This changed when new people moved into senior positions (last 5-8 years). There has been a shift to provide more outreach to test takers. This can be seen with the major improvement in the OG books (from 9th to 12th edition), official verbal/math guides, GMATPrep, etc.

All in all, it was a very beneficial conference.

The write up is attached, and the attached PDFs are referenced in the write up.

Write up: GC Write up TestPrep Summit Oct 2009 - admin.doc

Please post all questions here. I will monitor this thread and respond accordingly.

Best,
mohater

Some interesting facts (summary by bb)
RETAKING GMAT
1. Retake rate is 20%
2. Average gain from retaking is 34 points
3. 31% of retakers do not improve their original score
4. 14% improve by 100 or more points
5. 42% retake within 31-60 days (the soonest you can take the test is 31 days after the first test)
6. Quant is more likely to be improved (2.5 points) than verbal (2.1 points)

OTHER INFO
1. All questions count though the first few are still the deciding ones - you can do well if you answer the first 10, but your score will decrease if you keep missing questions
2. Penalty for not answering questions is 3 percentile points per question. :shock:

This is so far all I fished out of the powerpoints.

Attachments

File comment: GMAT Bus Schedule.PDF
GMAT Bus Schedule.PDF [154.96 KiB]
Downloaded 323 times

To download please login or register as a user

File comment: GMAT Security (Rudner).PDF
GMAT Security (Rudner).PDF [181.4 KiB]
Downloaded 209 times

File comment: GMAT Psychometrics (Rudner).PDF
GMAT Psychometrics (Rudner).PDF [870.39 KiB]
Downloaded 517 times

File comment: Agenda.pdf
Agenda.pdf [29.81 KiB]
Downloaded 192 times

File comment: GC Write up TestPrep Summit Oct 2009 - admin.doc
GC Write up TestPrep Summit Oct 2009 - admin.doc [40 KiB]
Downloaded 274 times

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 03:27
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for the documents, mohater! +1

I have a couple of questions, I'm not sure if these were covered in the summit, but if you'd know, would be very helpful.

- Did GMAC mention if there is any correlation between GMAT(real) vs GMATPrep vs OG's? To me, there is definately a huge difference in the difficulty level among the three.

- Did they touch base on how experimental questions or anything around that?
GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 234

Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 04:26
Hello pm4553,

The GMAC doesn't have any reliable data for your first question. The GMAC r&d group tries to release questions for GMATPrep and OG's that best match "real" questions (also trying to only use questions that are not US culture based). Among the organizations present, there was praise for improving the tools provided by the GMAC as over the years.

The GMAC's main goal over the years has been to make sure no group has an advantage on the GMAT.

One thing to keep in mind is the OG ranges from very easy to 650 level questions (not too many 700+ on OG books). GMATPrep has a pretty decent pool of questions, but it's still only a practice test.

As for your second question...

Per Dr Rudner:

The experimental questions used to show up in fixed locations. If you paid attention and tried to deconstruct the paper practice tests along with Powerprep and GMATPrep, you could figure out where the experimental questions (it carried through on the real test). This is no longer the case as the GMAC has incorporated much more randomization into the test.

Experimental questions are still used and will show up.

Thanks,

pm4553 wrote:
Thanks for the documents, mohater! +1

I have a couple of questions, I'm not sure if these were covered in the summit, but if you'd know, would be very helpful.

- Did GMAC mention if there is any correlation between GMAT(real) vs GMATPrep vs OG's? To me, there is definitely a huge difference in the difficulty level among the three.

- Did they touch base on how experimental questions or anything around that?

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1984

Kudos [?]: 6419 [0], given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 16:11
Expert's post
First post has been updated

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 60

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 22:34
Unfortunately, pdf files are of too bad quality.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 03:00
I also have a question regarding the experimental questions. I know there is no marks for not getting the answer right. However, say I correct 5 answers in a row, then I encounter an experimental and get it wrong, would it affect my next question? Or the next question will be based on the previous real test questions result?
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 03:39
DenisSh wrote:

This was out of my control. I used the scanner that was available to me and this is the result. Should I come across a better scanner, I will scan the handouts again.

eresh wrote:
I also have a question regarding the experimental questions. I know there is no marks for not getting the answer right. However, say I correct 5 answers in a row, then I encounter an experimental and get it wrong, would it affect my next question? Or the next question will be based on the previous real test questions result?

Experimental questions will NOT affect the band of question you receive. Experimental questions are used to gauge the difficulty of a question before it is introduced as a real question (and to decide if it will be introduced as a real question). Only graded questions will affect your results.

PS
This was not covered during the conference.

Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1984

Kudos [?]: 6419 [0], given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 03:54
Expert's post
DenisSh wrote:

I can read most everything just fine - works well when printed.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 18:04
Is it that with experimental questions the # of quant is 37 and verbal is 41 ? or with out ?
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 18:12
skpMatcha wrote:
Is it that with experimental questions the # of quant is 37 and verbal is 41 ? or with out ?

With.

The experimental questions are embedded into the test. The test taker has no way of differentiating between graded questions and experimental questions.

41 verbal questions includes experimental questions
The same goes for the 37 quant questions.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 18:45
How many of them are experimental? I read somewhere that it is 10 for both the sections. Don't know for sure.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 348 [1] , given: 234

Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2009, 04:12
This post received
KUDOS
eresh wrote:
How many of them are experimental? I read somewhere that it is 10 for both the sections. Don't know for sure.

The GMAC does NOT publish how many of the questions are experimental. Some of the prep companies/orgs speculate about the number of questions, but there is nothing to confirm.

Don't waste your time trying to figure these things out. Treat every question as though it is scored and move along accordingly.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 23:14
+1!

Awesome post! Why isn't this stickied??!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Ross, Cornell, LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, IESE/IE
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 117

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 10:12
Gr8 post with nice info.
+1

"Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so."
Target=780
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ROSS PT 2012
WE 1: Mech Engineer - General Electric - 2yrs
WE 2: Lead Mech Engineer - Ingersoll Rand - 4 yrs
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 11:20
This is huge! I never realized/knew that not having completed a section could have such a pronounced effect on the total score/percentile. Case in point :
1. Powerprep 1:720 (V39,Q49) - 3 Verbal questions unattempted
2. Powerprep 2: 690(V42,Q42) - 3 to 4 Quant q's unattempted, 1 Verbal unattempted.
3. Gmatprep 1 : 630 -dont remm the scores(took it a while back) but 6 V q's unattempted.
4. Gmatprep 2 :650 - again 9 verbal unattempted.
With that said - I believe I have to stop dwelling on the first 30 q's and start pacing myself better after the 1st 15 q's. I just couldnt figure out why the scores were so divergent; I mean the deviation was simply inexplicable -in the next attempt I will pace myself better and I will make educated guesses towards the end(if I have to). I think its better to guess than to take a hit of say 15-20 percentile points.

This article maybe a lifesaver for me - thanks a ton guys!

+1 for you Mohater!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ROSS PT 2012
WE 1: Mech Engineer - General Electric - 2yrs
WE 2: Lead Mech Engineer - Ingersoll Rand - 4 yrs
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 15:31
Following up on my previous post:
GmatPrep 2(repeat/unistalled):690 (V36,Q48) - attempted all questions - had to rush through a few questions towards the end, but I guess overall - I have a new strategy now. For the record there were 1/2 V repeats and 2 Q repeats - I had to solve them anyways.
Re: GMATClub attends GMAC Test Prep Summit   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2010, 15:31