Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 22:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATClub eBook

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
GMATClub eBook [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 08:09
So HongHu, Paul and I agree to write an eBook for GMATClub. We would like to have some people to participate.

For right now, please let us know what would you like to see in this book rather than what have already been in Kaplan 800 or Princeton Review. The focus of this book is to teach the best tips and tricks, most difficult verbal problem, and most difficult Quan problem.

Please post your ideas. This is what I have in my mind at this moment:

Table of Contents

1. Strategy (Collection from GMATClub)
2. GMAT Study Material Reviews
3. Best Verbal
a. Tips and Tricks for Sentence Correction (Idiom, Meaning...)
b. Hard Critical Reasoning (Including all boldfaces)
c. Overcome Reading Comprehension
4. Best Quantitative
a. Wordy Word Problems
b. Combination & Probability (Hardest ones)
5. The 700 Stories
6. FAQ
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 08:58
I think this is a great initiative and I would love to contribute some energy into it. This forum has turned out many brilliant strategies, ideas, and tips toward preparation of GMAT. I've been trying to collect some of them in those sticky threads in the math and verbal forum. However, I think an Ebook is an even better venue to organize the collective wisdom of this forum. I would appreciate any input about what people like to see in this Ebook. We would need lots of details to fill in the big frame.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 09:47
Great idea. Instead of going through the entire forum for difficult material for quant and verbal, the eBook will provide that in one single location.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 10:44
Could someone explain what boldfaces mean?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 11:21
thearch wrote:
Could someone explain what boldfaces mean?

You can find out more here
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13125

My plan is to collect all the boldfaces.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 649 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 13:57
very nice idea. Hjort , would you like to contribute to this project?

Let me create a ebook project forum for you guys. Apart from i and bb, only qhoc, paul, honghu will have access. This will let you guys share ideas more easily.

If anyone else would like to join, please write to the team and let them know what will be your contribution to the project. I will let qhoc ,honghu and paul decide whether they want to let you in.

The first step would be to define the target audience. We could write the book for everyone, but it would be very comprehensive project. you have my support , no matter what you guys decide. Once you define a target audience, it will help you define the exact content of your chapters. The next step would be to define an objective. what is it the GMAT Club
e-book provides that others dont?

I can ask bara sapir of test prep, new york to write a small chapter too. lets see.

Thanks guys
Praetorian
CEO
CEO
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 14:06
Great idea!

I would like to help develop this project. It might be helpful to include a portion on test design as well.

Hjort
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 14:18
Thanks Prae.
The target audience will be the people who have gone through all material including Kaplan 800. I was studying Kaplan 800 and I was not so happy with it. I thought I can even write a bettter book. The biggest things that were missing from Kaplan 800 are the boldfaces and probability.

I did not happy with the explaination in Kaplan 800. I saw Paul's explaination was even better than any book around. We hope to adopt his method.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 14:46
I'm delighted to contribute to this project and hope that we can come up with something reliable enough so that members don't have to go to 2-3 different sites before finding an answer to any given question. I think the e-book will be a good point of reference because many concepts many members explained over and over again but an easy access will now make the task much more simple.

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 14:58
It's great Hjort that you can join us! And thanks Praetorian for setting up a forum for this. It will be most helpful. I've already been thinking how to send PMs to multiple people. A forum will sovle this problem nicely.

This is going to be a worthwhile project. Praetorian has a very good question. What do we want to achieve? What would we offer that other prep materials do not offer?

My thought is that we would offer a different angle from all the other books. The contributers would be people who has studied for the test and taken the test. The issues being discussed would be the ones that people who prepare for the test feel most difficult and confusing. The Ebook may not cover all aspects of math and verbal. For example, it will not repeat all grammar rules that one can find in a grammar book. Rather, it will concentrate on the type of questions that people often make mistakes, or have difficulty cracking. It will give greater weights to question types that people have the hardest time solving, such as the combination and permutation questions. The tips and strategies will be test oriented and detail oriented. A reader of this book would be somebody who has already done his basic homework of overviewing all general concepts through other prep materials, and who wants to improve his scores to a new higher level through concentrating on various specific areas.

This is just my thought. I would love to hear what you all think about it too.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 15:01
Paul wrote:
I think the e-book will be a good point of reference because many concepts many members explained over and over again but an easy access will now make the task much more simple.

Very good point!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 15:13
HongHu wrote:
A reader of this book would be somebody who has already done his basic homework of overviewing all general concepts through other prep materials, and who wants to improve his scores to a new higher level through concentrating on various specific areas.

Exactly, HongHu. Glad we have the same idea!!

We should go ahead and get start.
We need to agree on "what will be in the book." The first post was my idea. If anyone has anything to add in for the "Table of Contents", please do so. Along the way, we may have to change a little bit. I believe we can be very flexible.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 649 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 15:32
I have created the new forum. its only visible to the participants of the ebook project.

thanks
Praetorian
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2005, 07:31
Thanks Praetorian!

Please continue to use this thread to post what you would like to see in the Ebook everybody. :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2005, 21:09
Great idea!

Placet!

Zem

===========================
Let us make hay while the sun shines.
Don Quixote. Part i. Book. iii. Chap. xi.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2005, 00:18
nice idea. I'm no god in quant/verbal but i can chip in some ideas and techniques if you like.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2005, 00:21
i just remembered the biggest problem I had when i started preparing for the GMAT. I can't remember a stuff from high school. Maybe we can throw in sections of review materials covering the basics you need after reviewing the problem sets. I'll contribute in the maths/verbal forum sticky over a period of time and let you decide if they're good material for reading, or whether they're worthless :-D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2005, 09:25
I can contribute in whatever capacity you guys need. I would love to see GMAT club succed and help out many GMAT aspirants. Thanks

Praveen

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 05:21
HongHu wrote:
It's great Hjort that you can join us! And thanks Praetorian for setting up a forum for this. It will be most helpful. I've already been thinking how to send PMs to multiple people. A forum will sovle this problem nicely.

This is going to be a worthwhile project. Praetorian has a very good question. What do we want to achieve? What would we offer that other prep materials do not offer?

My thought is that we would offer a different angle from all the other books. The contributers would be people who has studied for the test and taken the test. The issues being discussed would be the ones that people who prepare for the test feel most difficult and confusing. The Ebook may not cover all aspects of math and verbal. For example, it will not repeat all grammar rules that one can find in a grammar book. Rather, it will concentrate on the type of questions that people often make mistakes, or have difficulty cracking. It will give greater weights to question types that people have the hardest time solving, such as the combination and permutation questions. The tips and strategies will be test oriented and detail oriented. A reader of this book would be somebody who has already done his basic homework of overviewing all general concepts through other prep materials, and who wants to improve his scores to a new higher level through concentrating on various specific areas.

This is just my thought. I would love to hear what you all think about it too.

I'd be very interested in reading a copy of your ebook. Please let me know when you guys are done.

thanks
gmataquaguy
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 19:23
praveen_rao7 wrote:
I can contribute in whatever capacity you guys need. I would love to see GMAT club succed and help out many GMAT aspirants. Thanks

Sure, Praet, can you add Praveen to the project so that he can see the onging discussions for now?

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 05 Apr 2005, 19:23