Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 03:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATClub or BEATtheGMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V37
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 30

GMATClub or BEATtheGMAT [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 09:52
Though i did look at few posts on BTG, I have been following mostly GMATClub in last 3 months of my preparation. I gave my GMAT recently and scored 690 (Q47, V37). Though there are exceptions, this score isn't enough for a Non-IIT, Indian Software Engineer (7 years of Work experience in Oracle and HP) to get into ISB, IIM-A,B and C. I am still trying to get as much info as possible about the application process. Considering my profile, demography and target school, I am planning to give my GMAT again in 2-3 months time. I am happy with my current job and I am in no hurry to join an MBA. I realized that you do it once and for all so do it from a good place.

So, here the real deal, I want to move into Q50 and V40 range. How best i can use these two excellent sites? Should i follow both of these of can choose one over other? What are pros and cons of both these sites?

GMAT Exam 690 (08th Aug)
GMATPrep 2 IR 710 (06th Aug)
Kaplna 610 (28th July)
GMATPrep 1 IR 710 (22nd July)
MGMAT CAT 2 IR 680 (1st July)
MGMAT CAT 1 IR 680 (24th June)
MGMAT CAT 1 690 (21st May)
GMATPrep 2 720 (16th May)
GMATPrep 1 710 (13th May)

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 689

Kudos [?]: 3028 [3] , given: 890

Re: GMATClub or BEATtheGMAT [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 11:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

GMATCLUB one on one against BEATTHEGMAT

I will go with pros and cons of both the forums and hope the admins are watching this because I have been an extensive user with a slightly higher focus on gmatclub.

Now my username has 104 posts on gmatclub and 5 on btg, so its obvious which one is my favourite. Still I will try to make it as impartial as possible.

GMATCLUB Vs BEATTHEGMAT

1. Magnum Opus: GMATCLUB has gmat toolkit and the gmatclub tests. Beatthegmat has a very comprehensive self study guide which goes on a day by day basis, reminding you of your daily homework to achieve your goal.
Although I am not a subscriber of the self study plans on beatthegmat, it seems pretty impressive.
2. Distinguished members: I got the most help from bunuel and walker, one known for his legendary quant collection and another for his contribution towards the app development. Besides our very own humble servant is more omnipresent than any admin in any forum can be. However beatthegmat doesn't come close to any of these.
3. Prep Course Reviews: The strength of beatthegmat lies in its users. Unarguably it has more GMAT prep course reviews. I think those are definitely worth a visit before buying a course.
4. Experts on the forum: There is one gmat celebrity on btg. No prizes for guessing its Ron Purewal. However with the new verbal revolution in gmatclub, I think its getting close.
5. Popular Opinion: Unanimously people would agree that the most extensive use of both of these forums is for reviewing questions from gmat sources all over the world. There are some questions which gmatclub has explanations for, while some are there on btg. Mostly you will find all of them in both of these forums. So even if not equally, but both of these forums are highly recommended.
6. How much is too much: One gmatclub disadvantage I have felt is that it might make you an addict :P. I have spend hours just browsing aimlessly on share gmat experience forum, hoping I would add to the list with a 99 percentile.Someday :-)
Barring the last month I was an inactive stalker of gmatclub, browsing through every threads; there was too much information, and I had a static inertia. But soon I found a place of my own. I started making more posts, and I realized the best way to utilize gmatclub is to take part in discussions. When you help out someone in understanding something, your concept would just reinforce itself and you will never forget it.

Conclusion
None of these forums will guarantee and drastic score improvement. But they do give you a platform to interact with like minded people, learn from their mistakes and seek help from experts. Only you can evaluate the best use out of these forums.
Hope this has been helpful.
Cheers :)

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager

Re: GMATClub or BEATtheGMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 09:14
Thanks Souvik for your detailed answer :-)
In last few months i only used GmatCLub and surfed BTG only if it came in Google Search for any topic or while looking for an answer to a particular Q.
I have posted very few messages there and response is indeed very slow :-(
So i will continue with my old strategy in the 2nd battle against GMAT.

GMAT Exam 690 (08th Aug)
Kaplna 610 (28th July)

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 689

Kudos [?]: 3028 [0], given: 890

Re: GMATClub or BEATtheGMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 09:16
Expert's post
Again as i said, forums can only make your resources stronger and smarter. It is you, however, who must work towards your goal. If you are retaking, let me know the date. My date with GMAT damsel is a month away.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager

Re: GMATClub or BEATtheGMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 09:34
souvik101990 wrote:
Again as i said, forums can only make your resources stronger and smarter. It is you, however, who must work towards your goal. If you are retaking, let me know the date. My date with GMAT damsel is a month away.

souvik101990 wrote:

I am yet to recover from the debacle :-(
Collecting energy for the next marathon :-)
I am yet to decide on the next study plan. My weaknesses are very natural kind (slow reading speed etc) SO not sure if i can improve them in 2-3 months.
My one line advice "Have clear strategy to follow for each Q type and internalize it so that no matter what are the circumstances you will stick to it. You should be able to use the same approach even after in sleep."
All the best !!

GMAT Exam 690 (08th Aug)
Kaplna 610 (28th July)

Manager
Manager

Re: GMATClub or BEATtheGMAT [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 00:36
If i have to go by the responses to my posts, I find that BTG community is not as active as GMATClub.

a) Here are my BTG posts:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/need-guidanc ... tml#474562
http://www.beatthegmat.com/improving-rc ... tml#472816

b) Here are my GMATClub Posts:
gmatclub-or-beatthegmat-137013.html
guessing-and-timing-strategies-for-ir-136901.html
quality-verbal-cat-s-136165.html
possible-improvement-in-score-in-last-two-weeks-of-prep-136166.html
doubt-about-ending-any-section-in-the-real-exam-136164.html
loosing-battle-to-sc-135733.html
more-mgmat-tests-or-more-practice-for-one-month-135166.html
need-guidance-in-taking-the-decision-to-give-gmat-in-2-weeks-132495.html
improving-the-time-in-rc-passages-132698.html

There are more posts because i received timely responses to most of my posts.
So i am going with GMATClub as of now until i found a reason to use BTG rather than GMATClub.

GMAT Exam 690 (08th Aug)
Kaplna 610 (28th July)

Re: GMATClub or BEATtheGMAT   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2012, 00:36