Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmatclub Ultimate GMAT Grammar: Other/ Another Exercise

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 48

Gmatclub Ultimate GMAT Grammar: Other/ Another Exercise [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 03:47
Need help with the answers to the below questions. also need someone to explain why the alternate options that i mention are incorrect.

1. I have a large stamp collection. The stamps in this section are from the United States. Others are from other places in the world.

1. I have a large stamp collection. The stamps in this section are from the United States. The others are from the other places in the world.
- Here, if we consider that the stamps belong to a specific collection, then can't we say that the stamps are specifically arranged in sections as per their place of origin? Wouldn't this make them specific and thus the use of "the other" in the 1st blank.
Also, aren't the places specific since they belong to a single world?

2. You can buy this shirt and another one. Which other would you like?

2. You can buy this shirt and the other one. Which others would you like?
- Here, the speaker tells the person in question that he can buy 2 shirts that he might have selected(say from a particular type) to buy. Wouldn't this make "The other" a candidate for the 1st blank.
Also, giving him options to select more shirts (of other types), doesn't "others" qualify for 2nd blank?

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 118

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 10

Re: Gmatclub Ultimate GMAT Grammar: Other/ Another Exercise [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 23:40
Expert's post
When you use the phrase "the others," you are basically saying "all the other things." For instance, if I say "Two of the apples were good; the others were rotten," that means that of the apples I had, *all* but two were rotten.

So let's look at your first alternate:

"The stamps in this section are from the United States. The others are from the other places in the world."

This would mean two things: 1) All the stamps outside of that section are not from the United States; 2) The other stamps are from all the other places in the world. Here, using "other" without "the" is much better. Now it just means that some of the stamps are from some other places in the world.

Now for the next one:

"You can buy this shirt and the other one. Which others would you like?"

These two sentences are contradictory. By saying "the other one," the first sentence tells me that there is one specific shirt that I may buy in addition to "this shirt." "Another" means "one more," while "the other" refers to one specific other thing (with the implication that I know what that one other is).

Now, if you follow this with "Which others would you like?" you are asking which shirts (plural) I would like. Since you have just told me I may only have two specific shirts ("this one" and "the other one"), this question doesn't make sense. If you ask me "Which others do you like?" I might surmise that you are asking my opinion on several shirts, even though I might only get one. But if you ask "Which others would you like?" it sounds like you are letting me pick several shirts.

By the way, I wouldn't say "Which other would you like?" In a new sentence, I'd prefer to see a noun or pronoun after "other," so I'd say "Which other one would you like?" However, I don't think that kind of small distinction would be tested on the GMAT.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Gmatclub Ultimate GMAT Grammar: Other/ Another Exercise   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2012, 23:40