Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 04:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.42
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 09:50
# 8 - choice A actually weakness argument. If true, A casll to question the relevance of the evidence provided by the official about the high quality of US hospitals. Someone who purports what A says, may argue that just because ppl trust the quality of US hospitals, doesn't necessarily mean that the US is any less vulnerable to infectious diseases. In my view, choice D is the only one that does not weaken the argument.
Current Student

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 09:54
Put another way - suppose that "The average life span of United States citizens is determined by deaths due to all causes other than infectious diseases." This would certainly weaken the argument. But the way it is written, choice D points out that infectious diseases is considered a cause influencing mortality rate.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 652

Kudos [?]: 2784 [0], given: 879

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 11:37
Expert's post
Quote:
Recently, some critics of the U.S. government have pointed out that this country is the only advanced industrialized
nation without a national vaccine laboratory and suggested that this lack makes the American public more vulnerable
than other developed nations to infectious diseases, such as avian flu. A government official said these critics were
disloyal and thus wrong about the public’s vulnerability. To support his claim, the official cited the generally long
life span and low infant mortality of United States citizens, relative to all United Nation member nations. Mentioning
the high quality of American hospitals, he added that all of the Europeans that he knew preferred to undergo major
medical treatments in the United States rather than in the socialized medical systems in place in their home
countries. All of the following are weaknesses or potential weaknesses in the official’s argument EXCEPT:

• The high quality of hospitals in the United States is not a factor affecting the public’s vulnerability to infectious
disease.
• Whether or not the critics are disloyal has no bearing on whether or not they are wrong.
• The Europeans that the official cited are a demographically narrow sample, overwhelmingly composed of wealthy
males over the age of fifty.
• The average life span of United States citizens is determined not only by deaths due to infectious diseases but also
by deaths due to all other causes.
• Comparing the United States to all United Nations member nations does not address the concern that the U.S. is
behind other advanced industrialized nations in a particular way.

THIS QUESTION IS PRETTY CONTROVERSIAL.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 12:35
souvik101990 wrote:
Quote:
Recently, some critics of the U.S. government have pointed out that this country is the only advanced industrialized
nation without a national vaccine laboratory and suggested that this lack makes the American public more vulnerable
than other developed nations to infectious diseases, such as avian flu. A government official said these critics were
disloyal and thus wrong about the public’s vulnerability. To support his claim, the official cited the generally long
life span and low infant mortality of United States citizens, relative to all United Nation member nations. Mentioning
the high quality of American hospitals, he added that all of the Europeans that he knew preferred to undergo major
medical treatments in the United States rather than in the socialized medical systems in place in their home
countries. All of the following are weaknesses or potential weaknesses in the official’s argument EXCEPT:

• The high quality of hospitals in the United States is not a factor affecting the public’s vulnerability to infectious
disease.
• Whether or not the critics are disloyal has no bearing on whether or not they are wrong.
• The Europeans that the official cited are a demographically narrow sample, overwhelmingly composed of wealthy
males over the age of fifty.
• The average life span of United States citizens is determined not only by deaths due to infectious diseases but also
by deaths due to all other causes.
• Comparing the United States to all United Nations member nations does not address the concern that the U.S. is
behind other advanced industrialized nations in a particular way.

THIS QUESTION IS PRETTY CONTROVERSIAL.

Yes..In fact i was going to reply the same :P... This http://www.beatthegmat.com/recently-som ... 58fe9b13ab says that the correct answer is C.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 13:31
Expert's post
Answer is not C but lets just rejec this question for now!
Quote:
Hi all,

Strangely enough, just recently there has been a small burst of complaints about this problem, which has caused us to put it under the microscope. Under scrutiny, the problem certainly shows flaws: first of all, the question stem should read "if true," which is a tag-line that the GMAT always puts in such questions (for strengthen/weaken). While small, this tag-line is critical: without it, you are left trying to determine which choices are true and which are false instead of which weaken and which don't. As a result, you wind up having to use outside knowledge to determine which answers are true and which aren't. Specifically, answer choice A requires too much outside information to draw a connection between the quality of hospitals and the public's vulnerability to disease.

We actually pulled the question yesterday for rehab -- before seeing your well-timed post, in fact. Sorry about the issue, and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Thanks,
Chris

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 2414 [0], given: 693

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 14:43
Expert's post
Please jeremy post your response in one only reply or post. You can write whatever you want without limit in one post. This to maintain clear the thread :) Thanks

In 8 we have to find the answer the NOT weaken the argument or that is irrilevant.

The conclusion is
Quote:
U.S. government have pointed out that this country is the only advanced industrialized
than other developed nations to infectious diseases, such as avian flu

Based on this conclusion, some critics are argued. Then we have to find something that or STRENGTHEN (the fact that US is vulnerable) or be IRRILEVANT to the argument as whole.

In A
Quote:
The high quality of hospitals in the United States is not a factor affecting the public’s vulnerability to infectious
disease.
does the argument true, strong, more heavy. Indeed, A says that U.S a vurnerable

I picke dit wrong and generalyy the exceot question are my favourite question. Howerve, this one put me out of balance due to the conclusion at the beginning, is rare and sometimes this suach question blow my mind. Is really good as question because forces you to stay carefull, to open your eyes. This kind of question this: stay on the look out, here is gmatland, stay suspicious, stay on the frontline. ALWAY.

Does it make sense ?
:)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Current Student

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 16:51
Hey Carcass, I apologize for the multi-posting. I am relatively new and I need to learn one way or another. So thank you for the heads up.

Your response does make plenty of sense. Your reasoning is clear. I just think that you are missing the conclusion. As you will see, Souvik points out:

"8. The official's conclusion is that people who claim that the U.S. is more vulnerable
[...] Moreover, he cites the high quality of American hospitals, and he adds that many
people he knows from around the world come to the U.S. for medical care..."

So, at least in the opinion of Souvik, the conclusion is in the point of view of he official and not of the critic of the US Gov't.

Later Souvik, among others, states that the question is controversial and under scrutiny. But, based on what we have - the original question, and Souvik's OE - one can see how, if taken to be true, Choice A actually weakens the conclusion. If it is true that the quality of hospitals in the US is not a factor of the vulnerability, then the high quality of said hospitals as a supporting fact behind the conclusion that the critic's claims are wrong is certainly called into question.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 22:21
Expert's post
Guys, dont do this question
IMO, not one second is worth on poorly made questions
Let me know whether you got every other OE clearly.
Next strategy and set??
What do you guys want?
How about some SC this time??

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 03:05
Expert's post
I agree with you :)

Aside 8, the rest was a really good drill. Albeit the majority of people focus too much on meth part of the test, they should attend more your post :)

I would suggest instead RC time, but really good passages. I posted some tough passages, I think is one of the most underrated section of the entire gmat and at the same time is the first that blow your mind completely; because a SC or RC is short but the passages are long and ackward, you can completely lose.

I go for RC, my oopinion :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 04:45
souvik101990 wrote:

GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK

Hello all
I got my first 760 on MGMAT CAT 2 so I am extremely happy.
With that happiness I have decided to take a break, devoting my time entirely into gmatclub.

So here is what we are going to do
Each week On this forum we will discuss one main topic of Verbal and go over as much we can, covering everything we can share, including resources and questions.

Update:
"STRENGTHEN" STRATEGY AND SET
"STRENGTHEN" SET Official Explations
"WEAKEN" STRATEGY AND SET
"WEAKEN" SET Official Explations

HI Souvik,
kudos for starting this, I have restarted my GMAT marathon and I am pretty dumb in CR questions :-D sometimes,
timing of your thread matches perfectly well with my preparation and lets hope I help myself by helping others in this thread.

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Manager
Manager

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 05:47
Quote:
8. Charter schools are independent public schools that are given greater autonomy in exchange for increased
accountability. Charter school operators are freed from many of the regulations of the traditional public school
bureaucracy, thereby allowing them to pursue more innovative educational ideas than non-charter public schools
can pursue. At the same time, charter schools are held accountable for achieving specific educational outcomes
and are closed down if those outcomes are not met. Which of the following, if true, best supports the assertion
that students attending charter schools will, on average, perform better on assessments of writing ability than
students attending traditional public schools?
• Students who attend schools that emphasize order and discipline perform worse on assessments of writing ability
than students who attend schools that do not emphasize order and discipline.
• The majority of students who score in the 99th percentile on assessments of writing ability attend charter schools.
• Public schools that operate outside of the traditional public school bureaucracy spend more time teaching students
writing than do traditional public schools.
• Students who attend schools that are allowed to experiment with their writing curricula perform better on
assessments of writing ability than students who attend schools that have less flexible curricula.
• There are far more students attending non-charter public schools than students attending charter schools.

I chose (B) for this question and it was wrong, now after reading your answer set, I feel that the correct AC [D] is just a simple rephrase of the assertion that is asked in the Stimulus question.

Is it normal on such Strengthen questions or this is just an exception.

Manager
Manager

Re: WEEK 1: CRITICAL REASONING STRENGTHEN/WEAKEN Questions [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 05:55
souvik101990 wrote:
[textarea]

WEEK 1: Strengthen/Weaken/Evaluate the Argument

STRATEGY : Strengthen Question

In the Strengthen Set I got 4 Wrongs - #1,3,7 and 8 out of 9, I had seen 1 question earlier so not counting it.

Took 21 Minutes to did these 9 questions.

In # 1 and # 7 I was totally bowled over, could not get understand the argument properly.

I feel #3 was a sitter, I could not have missed that.

Souvik, any suggestions on how to improve on Strengthen questions.

Expert Post

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 02:41
Expert's post
Later I 'll attack the problem after work :)

I would like to say: should not be possible to do for instance a main post where are linked the various sub posts: assumption , weaken the argument and so on and so forth ???

Something similra to the thread of the OG 13 th verbal ??

It is an idea :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 04:04
It is really nice to find the thread.

Very Helpful
Expert Post

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 05:44
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 21:32
thanks souvik! given kudos already!
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 22:20
Expert's post
Manager
Manager

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 09:19
This Verbal Attack seems to be my Chance at getting V 40
Many XXXXX Kudos to Souvik for helping all us out!!!

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 11:02
Expert's post
methevoid wrote:
This Verbal Attack seems to be my Chance at getting V 40
Many XXXXX Kudos to Souvik for helping all us out!!!

Hey you made my day!!
Posting the OEs tomorrow!!
I am a bit tired today!
BTW how about extending verbal attack on gmatclub chat?

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 11:11
Expert's post
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2012, 11:11