Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:22

Hurry Up:

Last day of registration for Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
10 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1500
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 503

Kudos [?]: 1597 [10] , given: 624

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 10:47
10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK



Hello all
I got my first 760 on MGMAT CAT 2 so I am extremely happy.
With that happiness I have decided to take a break, devoting my time entirely into gmatclub.

So here is what we are going to do
Each week On this forum we will discuss one main topic of Verbal and go over as much we can, covering everything we can share, including resources and questions.


Update:

_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
9 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1500
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 503

Kudos [?]: 1597 [9] , given: 624

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
WEEK 1: CRITICAL REASONING STRENGTHEN/WEAKEN Questions [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 10:56
9
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

WEEK 1: Strengthen/Weaken/Evaluate the Argument


STRATEGY : Strengthen Question


Which of the following strengthens/ supports/ most justifies/ helps…

     Ask to support conclusion/argument in any way- answer can support in a minor or major way!
     Stimulus will always be an argument- since you can only strengthen a conclusion, not a fact set. Identify, isolate and assess the premises and conclusion.
     Focus on conclusion.
     Information in stimulus is suspect. Reasoning errors are present which can be corrected by answer choice.
     Strong prephrases possible
     Answer choices can bring new information which is not present in stimulus.
     While an assumption is necessary to the argument, a strengthen answer might not be essential for the argument to be true.
     The correct answer will , at least somewhat, venture outside the scope of the immediate argument (i.e. introduce something new)

How to strengthen?

    • Identify the conclusion – your answer choice should help the author and his conclusion
    • Personalize the argument- place yourself inside the situation and think how you will react.
    • Look for weaknesses in the argument – any gap, hole- that is tailor made to be eliminated as a correct strengthen answer.
    • An answer that highlights an assumption of the author will also strengthen the author’s conclusion
    • If the argument stimulus talks of a survey, poll- any answer choice which highlights its soundness or establishes its credibility will be correct.
    • Correct answer can strengthen just a little or a lot!


Correct answer will strengthen by:

    • Fixing a weakness of the conclusion
    • Validate an assumption made by argument
    • Introduce additional supporting evidence

Incorrect answer types:

    • Opposite answers: Weaken
    • Shell Game answers: idea form stimulus altered a little to be wrong
    • Out of scope answer: miss the point/conclusion
Whenever a stimulus starts with word ‘Advertisement:’ it will have flawed logic. Be prepared to look out for the gap and address that.


Causality and Strengthen Question


    • Eliminate alternate causes
    • Show that when the cause occurs, effect occurs
    • Show that when the effect is there, cause has occurred
    • Show that reverse is not true
    • Show that statistical data behind the cause effect conclusion is correct
    • Show that when cause doesn’t occur, effect doesn’t occur

In StrnegthenX questions, correct answer choice will mostly have no effect on the argument, or will be out of scope. Be cautious sometimes the answer choice which strengthens the argument is wrongly selected if it strengthens by eliminating an alternate cause which doesn’t occur in stimulus. There is tendency to think that it is out of scope and doesn’t strengthen. E.g. in a question that argues that amphibian population is decreasing because of ozone depletion, an answer choice that their natural habitat is not depleting is not out of scope- but strengthening by eliminating alternate cause of fall in population


BEST APPROACH: SIMPLIFY THE ARGUMENT INTO 1-2 STATEMENTS, and apply choice ONLY to simplified argument. Many choices that seemed relevant otherwise will now not be relevant!


GMATPREP EXAMPLE

Q. Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of Cyprus revealed a pattern of debris and collapsed buildings typical of towns devestated by earthquakes. Archaeologists have hypothesized that the destruction was due to a major earthquake known to have occured near the island in A.D. 365. Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the archaeologists' hypothesis?
(A) Bronze ceremonial drinking vessals that are often found in graves dating from years preceding and following A.D. 365 were also found in several graves near Kourion.
(B) No coins minted after A.D. 365 were foundin Kourion, but coins minted before that year were found in abundance
(C) Most modern histories of Cyprus mention that an earthquake occured near the island in A.D. 365.
(D) Several small statues carved in styles current in Cyprus in the century between A.D. 300 and 400 were found in Kourion.
(E) Stone inscriptions in a form of the Greek alphabet that was definitely used in Cyrpus after A.D. 365 were found in Kourion

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Simplified: an earthquake destroyed city. The earthquake happened in year 365. C says that the earthquake happened – that doesn’t strengthen, this is already known to have occurred from the question stem. Reiterate something that is already known – DOES NOT strengthen.

B pinpoints the date at year 365. Correct.


Notes Credit: Vivesomnium, Ron Purewal, Powerscore CR Bible, GMATPrep 2.0

QUESTION SET STRENGTHEN



1. The United States government uses only a household’s cash income before taxes to determine whether that
household falls below the poverty line in a given year; capital gains, non-cash government benefits, and tax credits
are not included. However, yearly cash income is not a fool-proof measure of a given household’s disposable
income. For example, retirees who live off of capital gains from an extensive portfolio could earn hundreds of
thousands of dollars, yet be classified by the government as living in “poverty” because this income is not included
in the calculation. Which of the following, if true, validates the contention that the government’s calculation methods
must be altered in order to provide statistics that measure true poverty?
• For more than 99% of those classified as living in poverty, yearly cash income comprises the vast majority of each
household’s disposable income.
• While the government’s calculation method indicated a 12.5% poverty rate in 2003, the same calculation method
indicated anywhere from a 9% to a 16% poverty rate during the preceding decade.
• Most established research studies conducted by the private sector indicate that the number of people truly living in
poverty in the U.S. is less than that indicated by the government’s calculation method.
• Several prominent economists endorse an alternate calculation method which incorporates all income, not just
cash income, and adjusts for taxes paid and other core expenses.
• The government’s calculation method also erroneously counts those who do not earn income in a given year but
who have substantial assets on which to live during that year.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Question 1 Answer & Explanation
OA: C
The conclusion of the argument is that the government's calculation methods
must be altered in order to provide statistics that measure true poverty. To
support this position, the author first explains how the government’s method
works and then introduces a hypothetical example that would return a "false
positive" - that is, a person who has a large income, yet is classified by the
government as living in poverty. One example, however, is generally not enough
to invalidate an entire method; no method is perfect and there are always a few
results that are not consistent with the overall conclusion. In order to validate, or
strengthen, the conclusion, we need to show that the government’s method is
fundamentally inferior to some alternative that would produce more valid results.

(A) This choice weakens the argument by minimizing the importance of the
author's evidence (the hypothetical retiree with capital gains). According to this
choice, the use of cash income to designate poverty levels is a very sound
method because it provides valid results for more than 99% of those classified as
living in poverty.

(B) This choice shows that the government’s method provided a wide range of
results for the poverty rate over a certain period of time, but it is irrelevant to the
argument at hand. It tells us nothing about whether the method provides relevant
statistics in any given year.

(C) CORRECT. If this statement is true, then the government’s calculation
method seems to overstate the number of people living in poverty, while the
various private sector studies generally agree with each other that the number of
people is lower. Thus, the methods used in the private sector are likely to be
more valid than the government’s method, lending credence to the author's
contention that the government’s method should change.

(D) Although this choice provides an example of people who might agree with the
conclusion (several prominent economists), this choice provides no evidence that
the alternate method they endorse would provide more relevant statistics than
the government’s method.

(E) This choice adds another hypothetical example of how the current method
could include someone in the poverty count who does not actually live in poverty.
It does not, however, address whether there are other calculation methods that
are more accurate than the government’s method.



2. Historically, the drug industry promoted its products to physicians by educating them in their offices or at industry
conferences. In the last 10 years, it has become much more commonplace for drug companies to advertise
prescription drugs directly to consumers, via television advertising and other media. Some public health advocates
have become concerned that patients, encouraged by advertising, may pursue the use of prescription drugs that
may be inappropriate for the individual patient or situation. However, since physicians must prescribe these
medications, there is no reason for such concern. Which of the following pieces of information would be most
helpful in addressing the concern articulated by the public health advocates?
• Certain over-the-counter medications are as effective for many common medical conditions as more powerful
nonprescription medications.
• Prescription medication television advertisements directed at the general public only appear on certain programs
and are not seen by many potential consumers.
• Physicians are also subject to prescription drug advertisements that are directed toward consumers.
• Physicians are not susceptible to pressure from patients in determining appropriate courses of treatment, including
drug prescriptions.
• Prescription medicines have been proven to be safe and effective treatments for many patient conditions.


[Reveal] Spoiler: Question 2 Answer & Explanation
The public health advocates are concerned that patients are subjected to
advertisements about prescription drugs, and may pursue these drugs even
though the drugs may not be clinically appropriate. It is argued that, because
physicians must prescribe the drugs in question, patient pursuit of these
prescription drugs is irrelevant. However, patients who pursue and request
particular prescription drugs may be able to encourage or induce a physician to
prescribe drugs that he or she might not have in the absence of such
encouragement.

(A) The clinical efficacy of certain over-the-counter medications does not address
the public health advocates’ concern regarding patient pursuit of inappropriate
prescription drugs.

(B) The public health advocates’ concern does not rely on every possible
consumer to see the advertisements for prescription medications. It is enough
that some consumers see the advertisements.

(C) This answer choice states the obvious possibility that physicians may also
see the advertisements for prescription drugs directed toward consumers. This is
irrelevant to the concern expressed by the public health advocates.

(D) CORRECT. This answer choice directly addresses the public health
advocates’ concern by establishing that physicians are not susceptible to patient
pressure in prescribing inappropriate drugs. As a result, drugs will be prescribed
according to the objective clinical judgment of the prescribing physician,
mitigating the danger of inappropriate use.

(E) That certain prescription medications are safe and effective treatments for
many conditions does not address the concern of inappropriate use expressed
by the public health advocates. Prescription drugs can be safe and effective
when used for certain conditions by various individuals and still be subject to
unhealthy use by other patients.



3. Studies in restaurants show that the tips left by customers who pay their bill tend to be larger when the bill is
presented with the server’s name hand-written on the bill. Psychologists hypothesize that simply seeing a hand-written name makes many consumers feel more of a personal identification with the server, encouraging larger
tips. Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the psychologists’ interpretation of the studies?
• The effect noted in the studies applies to patrons paying with either credit cards or cash.
• Nametags for servers have not been shown to have any effect on the size of the bill.
• Greeting card companies have found that charities which send holiday cards with handwritten signatures are more
likely to receive donations than those which send cards with printed signatures.
• The studies indicated much larger average tips if the customer ordered alcoholic beverages with his or her meal.
• Many of the restaurants in which the studies were conducted are located in tourist areas, where people are
traveling for leisure activities.


4. Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a constant stream of new devices to the market, and many
of them enjoy commercial success. But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful
device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale.
So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old
device have begun to decline. Which of the following, if true, would best support the analyst’s main assertion?
• New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.
• Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new
devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.
• Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.
• Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others
make more frequent purchases.
• Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.


5. More and more companies have begun to consume less energy by making themselves more efficient. Over time,
these efforts could place the United States at the forefront of an emerging global market for cleaner technologies.
Such efforts are also essential to tackling the two big energy-related issues of the age: global warming and the
dependence on precarious supplies of oil. The federal government should encourage these efforts by providing the
necessary incentives, whether as loans, direct grants or targeted tax breaks. Which of the following, if true,
provides the most effective support for the argument?
• On the average, Canadian companies are more energy efficient than those in the United States.
• Experts believe that energy efficiency could lower the energy use of the United States to the level of 1995.
• In the past, government incentives have made advances in energy conservation feasible, especially in the auto
industry.
• The dependence on foreign oil is a greater problem in the present than global warming.
• The market for cleaner technologies is currently relatively small because of the infrastructure requirements.


6. State X recently decided to cut state funding for the public library system in County X. To help counteract this cut
in funding, the county library system has increased library late fees from $.10 per day to $.12 per day. Since the
fee increase, library administrators have seen no decline in the number of overdue books. The director of the
county library system concludes that the fee hike has helped to counteract the cut in state funding. Which of the
following statements, if true, most strengthens the director’s claim?
• Since the fee increase, library administrators have noted a significant decrease in the number of books borrowed
each day.
• The library system incurred minor costs to make its visitors aware of the late fee increase.
• Since the fee increase, there has been no significant change in the average number of days that books are
overdue before they are returned.
• The library system in County X tracks its books through a very advanced database system, allowing library
administrators to have access to very accurate statistics on the number of overdue books at any given time.
• Since the reduction in state funding, the library system in County X has eliminated 10% of its staff, creating a 2%
reduction in costs.


7. In the 18th and 19th centuries, it was believed in many coastal American cities that the waterfront was an
undesirable location for residential buildings. As a result, much of the waterfront in these cities was never developed
aesthetically and instead was left to industry and commerce. Today, however, waterfront properties are generally
seen as prestigious, as evidenced by the large sums paid for homes along the beach front. A developer who
wishes to make a large profit would be wise to buy urban waterfront lots and erect residential buildings on them.
Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the claim made about urban waterfront properties?
• People today have more money, relatively speaking, to spend on real estate than they did in previous centuries.
• Homeowners will be willing to spend large sums on residential properties in traditionally industrial or commercial
districts.
• Many urban waterfront lots are available for purchase.
• Many coastal American cities are encouraging developers to rehabilitate the waterfront through tax incentives.
• Properties in interior residential districts in coastal American cities are significantly more expensive than those
along the waterfront.


8. Charter schools are independent public schools that are given greater autonomy in exchange for increased
accountability. Charter school operators are freed from many of the regulations of the traditional public school
bureaucracy, thereby allowing them to pursue more innovative educational ideas than non-charter public schools
can pursue. At the same time, charter schools are held accountable for achieving specific educational outcomes
and are closed down if those outcomes are not met. Which of the following, if true, best supports the assertion
that students attending charter schools will, on average, perform better on assessments of writing ability than
students attending traditional public schools?
• Students who attend schools that emphasize order and discipline perform worse on assessments of writing ability
than students who attend schools that do not emphasize order and discipline.
• The majority of students who score in the 99th percentile on assessments of writing ability attend charter schools.
• Public schools that operate outside of the traditional public school bureaucracy spend more time teaching students
writing than do traditional public schools.
• Students who attend schools that are allowed to experiment with their writing curricula perform better on
assessments of writing ability than students who attend schools that have less flexible curricula.
• There are far more students attending non-charter public schools than students attending charter schools.


9. Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players in the league have become concerned with the number
of flagrant fouls occurring during league games. This past season, the number of flagrant fouls was double the
number from the season before. League officials plan to reduce the number of such fouls during the coming
season by implementing mandatory suspensions for players who commit flagrant fouls. Which of the following
statements, if true, provides the best evidence that the officials’ plan will be effective?
• Most serious injuries occurring during league games are a direct result of flagrant fouls.
• League referees have been trained to recognize flagrant fouls and to report incidents involving such fouls.
• Parents of players in the league are in support of mandatory suspensions for flagrant fouls.
• A similar league suspends players for committing flagrant fouls; this league has a relatively low incidence of
flagrant fouls when compared with the Youth Hockey League.
• Most players in the league strive to be selected for the All-Star team, and league rules state that no player with a
record of suspension shall be selected for the All-Star team.


10. Almost every modern kitchen today is equipped with a microwave oven, mainly because microwave ovens offer a
fast and convenient way of cooking and reheating food. Indeed, it has become a standard appliance in most
households. Studies have shown, however, that microwave ovens are not completely safe and their use has
occasionally resulted in serious injury. Because of this, some consumer advocates argue that microwave ovens
should not be so readily accepted as a standard appliance until they can be certified to be completely safe. Which
of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument of the consumer advocates?
• Microwave ovens have taken much of the joy out of cooking.
• There have been many reported incidences of people who have been scalded by liquids superheated in microwave
ovens.
• Absolute safety is the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as “standard.”
• There is no such thing as a completely safe appliance.
• Stoves and ovens that use natural gas consume energy much more efficiently than microwave ovens.

OAs in 24 Hours followed by a set of 10 700-800 level WEAKEN questions

Please discuss solutions and other questions in this area.
Lets make this our very own verbal workbook
Cheers.

Next Week's Topic


Inference and Boldface
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1500
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 503

Kudos [?]: 1597 [1] , given: 624

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 10:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2173
Followers: 170

Kudos [?]: 1504 [0], given: 610

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 13:30
Expert's post
C D A B E D C B D C

I'm here to discuss. Good bank
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1500
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 503

Kudos [?]: 1597 [1] , given: 624

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 13:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2173
Followers: 170

Kudos [?]: 1504 [0], given: 610

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 14:30
Expert's post
Ya

Waiting other responses from members.

In the meantime I would rechek my answers. I'll print it, set a timer and see

They was tough, however

Edit: C D C B C B D C D C
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1500
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 503

Kudos [?]: 1597 [0], given: 624

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 19:19
Expert's post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2011
Posts: 379
Location: US
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 46

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 00:23
My answers are listed below. I took 24 min for all of them.
C D C E C C B D E B.
I got 2 of them wrong. One wrong answer is acceptable but other one is not.
Also, we must discuss question 4 because i'm not happy with the explanation floating around for that one.

Cheers!
_________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 751
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 162

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 02:07
souvik101990 wrote:

GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK



Hello all

I got my first 760 on MGMAT CAT 2 so I am extremely happy.

With that happiness I have decided to take a break, devoting my time entirely into gmatclub.



Good going dude, What resources did you use to get into 750+ zone. You seem to have indicated Thursdays with Ron and e-GMAT.
_________________

Spring has passed, summer is gone and winter is here. And the song that I meant to sing remains unsung.
For I have spent my days stringing and un-stringing my instrument.

MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1500
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 503

Kudos [?]: 1597 [0], given: 624

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 02:10
Expert's post
AbhiJ wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK



Hello all

I got my first 760 on MGMAT CAT 2 so I am extremely happy.

With that happiness I have decided to take a break, devoting my time entirely into gmatclub.



Good going dude, What resources did you use to get into 750+ zone. You seem to have indicated Thursdays with Ron and e-GMAT.


Hey Abhi
E-gmat was great but I kind of found it a but mechanical though
Thursdays with Ron, remains to be the BEST free resource out there.
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1500
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 503

Kudos [?]: 1597 [2] , given: 624

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 02:16
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

STRENGTHEN SET OFFICIAL EXPLANATIONS


Answer KEYS
CDCBCCBDEC

1.
The conclusion of the argument is that the government's calculation methods
must be altered in order to provide statistics that measure true poverty. To
support this position, the author first explains how the government’s method
works and then introduces a hypothetical example that would return a "false
positive" - that is, a person who has a large income, yet is classified by the
government as living in poverty. One example, however, is generally not enough
to invalidate an entire method; no method is perfect and there are always a few
results that are not consistent with the overall conclusion. In order to validate, or
strengthen, the conclusion, we need to show that the government’s method is
fundamentally inferior to some alternative that would produce more valid results.

(A) This choice weakens the argument by minimizing the importance of the
author's evidence (the hypothetical retiree with capital gains). According to this
choice, the use of cash income to designate poverty levels is a very sound
method because it provides valid results for more than 99% of those classified as
living in poverty.

(B) This choice shows that the government’s method provided a wide range of
results for the poverty rate over a certain period of time, but it is irrelevant to the
argument at hand. It tells us nothing about whether the method provides relevant
statistics in any given year.

(C) CORRECT. If this statement is true, then the government’s calculation
method seems to overstate the number of people living in poverty, while the
various private sector studies generally agree with each other that the number of
people is lower. Thus, the methods used in the private sector are likely to be
more valid than the government’s method, lending credence to the author's
contention that the government’s method should change.

(D) Although this choice provides an example of people who might agree with the
conclusion (several prominent economists), this choice provides no evidence that
the alternate method they endorse would provide more relevant statistics than
the government’s method.

(E) This choice adds another hypothetical example of how the current method
could include someone in the poverty count who does not actually live in poverty.
It does not, however, address whether there are other calculation methods that
are more accurate than the government’s method.

2.
The public health advocates are concerned that patients are subjected to
advertisements about prescription drugs, and may pursue these drugs even
though the drugs may not be clinically appropriate. It is argued that, because
physicians must prescribe the drugs in question, patient pursuit of these
prescription drugs is irrelevant. However, patients who pursue and request
particular prescription drugs may be able to encourage or induce a physician to
prescribe drugs that he or she might not have in the absence of such
encouragement.

(A) The clinical efficacy of certain over-the-counter medications does not address
the public health advocates’ concern regarding patient pursuit of inappropriate
prescription drugs.

(B) The public health advocates’ concern does not rely on every possible
consumer to see the advertisements for prescription medications. It is enough
that some consumers see the advertisements.

(C) This answer choice states the obvious possibility that physicians may also
see the advertisements for prescription drugs directed toward consumers. This is
irrelevant to the concern expressed by the public health advocates.

(D) CORRECT. This answer choice directly addresses the public health
advocates’ concern by establishing that physicians are not susceptible to patient
pressure in prescribing inappropriate drugs. As a result, drugs will be prescribed
according to the objective clinical judgment of the prescribing physician,
mitigating the danger of inappropriate use.

(E) That certain prescription medications are safe and effective treatments for
many conditions does not address the concern of inappropriate use expressed
by the public health advocates. Prescription drugs can be safe and effective
when used for certain conditions by various individuals and still be subject to
unhealthy use by other patients.

3.
This argument concerns a potential explanation for larger tips on the part of
restaurant patrons. The explanation provided is that customers are more
generous toward servers that leave their hand-written name on the bill due to a
greater degree of personal identification with the server, which encourages larger
tips. The correct answer will either support the fact that a hand-written name
strengthens personal identification, or that personal identification encourages
larger tips.

(A) The fact that the effect applies equally regardless of the method of payment
is not relevant to the conclusion.

(B) The argument does not address the size of the bill; rather, it addresses the
size of the tip. This choice is irrelevant.

(C) CORRECT. This answer choice provides further evidence that a hand-written name or signature generates a greater form of personalization and
emotional connection among recipients, leading to more donations.

(D) The impact of alcoholic beverages on tipping behavior is irrelevant.

(E) The location of the restaurants and leisure pursuits of the patrons are
irrelevant to the argument.

4.
The conclusion is that a company should wait until purchases of an old device
have begun to decline before announcing a new device. The basis for this claim
is that consumers stop buying the old device. We are asked to strengthen the
argument.

(A) The typical drop in the price of new technology does not influence whether a
company should wait until sales of an old technology begin to decline before
introducing a new one.

(B) CORRECT. This choice states that media outlets such as television and
magazines often report on the planned introduction of new devices while sales of
old devices are still strong. The argument requires that consumers "hear about
the new device"; stories in the media provide a means for consumers to do so.

(C) If many consumers are unable to determine the superiority of new
technology, then they might be less swayed to wait for a new, recently
announced device than otherwise. As a result, this claim may be seen to weaken
the analyst's assertion.

(D) The number of technology purchases per year does not directly relate to this
argument. The argument is about waiting until the consumer demand declines
before announcing a new technology. However frequently consumers typically
purchase technology, some will be ready to buy the old device when news of the
upcoming device gets out -- and according to the argument, this news will cause
some of those consumers to wait.

(E) The passage makes no mention of whether the technologies belong to the
same company or different companies.

5.
The argument claims that federal incentives should be provided to encourage
energy efficiency. The argument also notes that companies are already working
in this direction and that this trend will ease the environmental and energy
pressures that currently trouble the world. Supporting this argument could involve
providing evidence of possible success for these efforts toward their goals.

(A) This choice is an irrelevant comparison. That Canadian companies are more
efficient has no bearing on efforts in the United States or the role of government
incentives.

(B) This choice does not strengthen the claim. Experts' claims are not the same
as reality. Furthermore, the choice does not say whether reducing energy use to
the 1995 level is a significant decrease, nor does it provide any information to
strengthen the link between government incentives and reduced energy use.

(C) CORRECT. This choice provides evidence that government incentives are
effective. Thus, this choice confirms an assumption that the conclusion is
feasible.

(D) This choice is an irrelevant distinction. It does not matter to the argument’s
conclusion if one of these issues is a greater problem than the other in the
present.

(E) The passage asserts that the United States should be at the forefront of an
emerging market for cleaner technologies; i.e., the market will be significant in
the future. The size of the market at present is irrelevant to the argument.


6.
The director concludes that the fee hike has helped to counteract the cut in state
funding. In other words, the director believes that increasing the late fees has led
to increased revenue from late fees. While the size of the fee itself is one
important factor, there are other factors that also have an effect on the amount of
revenue generated from late fees: the number of overdue books and the number
of days that books are overdue before they are returned. It’s very possible that
the fee increase would prompt more borrowers to return their books on time; this
would reduce the number of late fees being paid, reducing revenue from late
fees. Further, it’s possible that the fee increase would prompt more borrowers to
return their already overdue books sooner than they would otherwise. This would
reduce the average amount of each late fee, reducing revenue from late fees.
The argument explicitly states that there has been no decline in the number of
overdue books, but it says nothing about the number of days that books are
overdue before they are returned. A statement that rules out the possibility that
borrowers are returning their already overdue books sooner than they would
have if they were still being charged the original lower overdue fee would
strengthen the director’s claim.

(A) A decrease in the number of borrowed books has no bearing on the revenue
generated from late fees if the number of overdue books remains unchanged.
The question explicitly states that the number of overdue books has not changed.

(B) If anything, this statement weakens the argument. The costs incurred to
implement the new fees would cut into the revenue generated from these new
fees.

(C) CORRECT. This statement rules out the possibility that the library system is
losing revenue as a result of borrowers returning overdue books earlier than they
would otherwise.

(D) The argument has explicitly stated that the number of overdue books has not
changed. This is a stated premise that we must take as factual information,
regardless of the quality of the database being used to track such information.

(E) The elimination of other unrelated costs has no bearing on whether the library
system has successfully increased revenues through late fees.


7.
The conclusion is that a developer who wishes to make a large profit would be
wise to buy urban waterfront lots and erect residential buildings on them. The
basis for that claim is that people pay large sums for beach front homes. We are
asked to strengthen this argument.

(A) This choice states that people have more buying power today than in
previous centuries. This does not strengthen the claim that a developer will make
money on urban waterfront properties.

(B) CORRECT. This choice states that homeowners will be willing to spend large
sums of money on residential properties in traditionally industrial or commercial
districts. Since we know from the argument that urban waterfronts have
traditionally been industrial, this fact strengthens the claim that a developer can
make a profit on urban waterfront properties.

(C) This choice states that many urban waterfront lots are available for purchase.
This does not suggest, however, that a developer will be able to sell them after
he or she builds on them.

(D) This choice states that many coastal cities are giving tax breaks to
developers who rehabilitate the waterfront. But this does not suggest that anyone
will buy the developed properties.

(E) This choice states that properties in the interior of cities are more expensive
than those on the waterfront. Although waterfront properties are therefore
cheaper to acquire, this does not necessarily mean that a developer can make a
profit after buying such properties.

8.
The question asks for information that will support the conclusion that students
attending charter schools will, on average, perform better on assessments of
writing ability than students attending traditional public schools. The passage
specifies that charter schools differ from non-charter public schools in that
charter schools have more freedom to innovate and that they are held
accountable for meeting specific educational outcomes. One way to support the
conclusion is to demonstrate that one of the two differences cited between
charter and non-charter public schools is somehow tied to higher performance on
writing assessments.

(A) While the passage mentions that charter schools themselves are freed from
many regulations, no information is presented about any difference in emphasis
with respect to order and discipline between charter and non-charter public
schools. As such, it is impossible to tell whether this information would support
the conclusion in the question.

(B) This choice presents information only about those students who score at the
very highest level of the writing assessments. However, this presents no
information about the difference, on average, between all charter school students
and non-charter public school students. It is possible, for example, that while the
students who perform at the highest level on writing assessments are those who
attend charter schools, on average non-charter public school students perform
better.

(C) There is no necessary link between the amount of time spent teaching writing
and student performance on writing assessments. For example, a good teacher
who spends one hour teaching writing may have a more positive impact on
student performance than a poor teacher who spends three hours teaching
writing.

(D) CORRECT. The passage specifies that charter schools have more freedom
to pursue innovative educational ideas than non-charter public schools. It follows
that charter schools are allowed to experiment with their curricula to a greater
degree than non-charter public schools. This choice links this difference to higher
student achievement on assessments of writing ability.

(E) The number of students attending charter vs. non-charter schools has no
bearing on the conclusion. The conclusion focused on student performance on
average, thereby eliminating raw numbers of students as relevant to this
measure.



9.
League officials plan to reduce the number of flagrant fouls by implementing
mandatory suspensions for players who commit such fouls. This plan will work
only if the punishment serves to deter players from committing flagrant fouls.

(A) The cause of injuries has no bearing on whether suspensions will deter
players from committing flagrant fouls.

(B) While the referees’ effectiveness in recognizing and reporting flagrant fouls
will surely aid in the implementation of the new policy, this has no bearing on
whether the policy will deter players from committing flagrant fouls.

(C) The parents’ opinion has no bearing on whether the suspensions will deter
players from committing flagrant fouls.

(D) While we might conclude that the other, similar league has a low incidence of
flagrant fouls because it suspends players who commit such fouls, we have no
evidence to show that the suspensions actually deter players from committing
fouls. It is entirely possible that the other league has a low incidence of flagrant
fouls for other reasons. For example, maybe the players in the other league are
just inherently less aggressive.

(E) CORRECT. If players want to make the All-Star team, and if a record of
suspension precludes these players from being selected for the team, then
players are less likely to commit fouls that will lead to suspensions.


10.
The passage makes the premise that microwave ovens are not completely safe.
This is followed by a conclusion by the consumer advocates that microwave
ovens should not be accepted as standard appliances. Since there is nothing in
the passage that provides an explicit link between the safety of microwave ovens
and their acceptability as standard appliances, the consumer advocates’
conclusion is based on an assumption (i.e., an implied premise) that “an
appliance should be accepted as standard only if it is found to be completely
safe.” The most effective way to strengthen such a conclusion is to show that
such an assumption is indeed true.

(A) The strength of the consumer advocates’ argument hinges upon the link
between the level of safety of microwave ovens and the rationale for their
acceptance in the home. Any lack of joy in microwave cooking is not relevant to
the argument.

(B) Providing a specific example of how a person might be injured, even
seriously, by a microwave oven may provide emotional support for the consumer
advocates’ position, but does little to strengthen the argument logically: the
possibility of injury has already been stipulated as a premise.

(C) CORRECT. This choice best strengthens the argument by making explicit the
assumption upon which the consumer advocates’ argument was based.

(D) If no appliance is completely safe, then the consumer advocates’ argument is
absurb: no appliance is, or ever will be, acceptable as “standard” in a modern
kitchen. This choice weakens the conclusion.

(E) The relative energy efficiency of gas vs. microwave cooking is not relevant to
this argument.


Please feel free to post particular question doubts, and I will be happy to clarify as much as I can.
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1500
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 503

Kudos [?]: 1597 [0], given: 624

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 02:18
Expert's post
Capricorn369 wrote:
My answers are listed below. I took 24 min for all of them.
C D C E C C B D E B.
I got 2 of them wrong. One wrong answer is acceptable but other one is not.
Also, we must discuss question 4 because i'm not happy with the explanation floating around for that one.

Cheers!


Please let me know which OA do you find debatable?
BTW All questions in this set are taken from MGMAT
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2173
Followers: 170

Kudos [?]: 1504 [0], given: 610

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 02:41
Expert's post
I got 4 wrong :wall:

The level is 700 800 how did you say ??

My errors on 6 and 7 OK, but 8 and 9 are silly :crying

In general MGMAT is more difficult than the exam ??
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1500
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 503

Kudos [?]: 1597 [0], given: 624

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 02:59
Expert's post
First, I only mentioned the level of difficulty, because I anticipated that a lot of people would ask that question. There should be ABSOLUTELY nothing called level of difficulty, and you should not be bothered about it even if there is.
Second, I have taken 3 MGMAT CATs and 3 GMATPreps
I think GMATPrep quant is not harder than that of MGMAT albeit a bit trickier.
But GMATPrep Verbal is definitely a notch on the higher side.
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2011
Posts: 379
Location: US
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 46

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 11:33
souvik101990 wrote:
Capricorn369 wrote:
My answers are listed below. I took 24 min for all of them.
C D C E C C B D E B.
I got 2 of them wrong. One wrong answer is acceptable but other one is not.
Also, we must discuss question 4 because i'm not happy with the explanation floating around for that one.

Cheers!


Please let me know which OA do you find debatable?
BTW All questions in this set are taken from MGMAT


I would like to discuss question number 4.
I'm not satisfied with the given OA/OE. Can someone illustrate?

Cheers!
_________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2173
Followers: 170

Kudos [?]: 1504 [0], given: 610

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 11:42
Expert's post
Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a constant stream of new devices to the market, and many
of them enjoy commercial success. But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful
device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale.
So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old
device have begun to decline.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the analyst’s main assertion?

• New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales. irrilevant

• Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new correct
devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.

• Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology. we care about the sales not technology

• Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others
make more frequent purchases. irrilevant

• Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using. loyal is not the point

is not good to announce new devices and at the same time sell the old ones, because the latter fall and all customers go to the new devices BUT is media magazine and so on report that new devices are annonce and at the same time the old devices are still sold.
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1500
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 503

Kudos [?]: 1597 [0], given: 624

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 12:12
Expert's post
Capricorn369 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Capricorn369 wrote:
My answers are listed below. I took 24 min for all of them.
C D C E C C B D E B.
I got 2 of them wrong. One wrong answer is acceptable but other one is not.
Also, we must discuss question 4 because i'm not happy with the explanation floating around for that one.

Cheers!


Please let me know which OA do you find debatable?
BTW All questions in this set are taken from MGMAT


I would like to discuss question number 4.
I'm not satisfied with the given OA/OE. Can someone illustrate?
Cheers!


4. Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a constant stream of new devices to the market, and many
of them enjoy commercial success. But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful
device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale.
So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old
device have begun to decline. Which of the following, if true, would best support the analyst’s main assertion?
• New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.
• Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new
devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.
• Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.
• Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others
make more frequent purchases.
• Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.

Conclusion of this argument
So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old
device have begun to decline

A. This has almost nothing to do with the argument as this is talking about the sales after the announcement and the release of the new device.
B. This seems to strengthen because if, according to the author, the company does not announce the new device, the media will have nothing to report and sales of the old device will remain strong.
C. As long as their indecisiveness doesn't hamper their buying tendencies, do we need to care?
D.This means almost everything. It means some people may buy the device while some people wont. In any case, we can draw much from this statement.
E. Loyalty can be proved both by purchasing new stuffs from the same company or by not purchasing anything at all(from that or any other company).

Hope this helps
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2011
Posts: 379
Location: US
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 46

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 12:36
carcass wrote:
Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a constant stream of new devices to the market, and many
of them enjoy commercial success. But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful
device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale.
So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old
device have begun to decline.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the analyst’s main assertion?

• New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales. irrilevant

• Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new correct
devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.

• Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology. we care about the sales not technology

• Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others
make more frequent purchases. irrilevant

• Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using. loyal is not the point

is not good to announce new devices and at the same time sell the old ones, because the latter fall and all customers go to the new devices BUT is media magazine and so on report that new devices are annonce and at the same time the old devices are still sold.


While announcing new technology -> wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline -> announce the upcoming sale of a new device.

How the aforesaid sequence is aligned with answer option 2, I don't see any correlation.
_________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1500
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 503

Kudos [?]: 1597 [0], given: 624

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 12:42
Expert's post
Capricorn369 wrote:
carcass wrote:
Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a constant stream of new devices to the market, and many
of them enjoy commercial success. But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful
device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale.
So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old
device have begun to decline.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the analyst’s main assertion?

• New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales. irrilevant

• Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new correct
devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.

• Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology. we care about the sales not technology

• Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others
make more frequent purchases. irrilevant

• Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using. loyal is not the point

is not good to announce new devices and at the same time sell the old ones, because the latter fall and all customers go to the new devices BUT is media magazine and so on report that new devices are annonce and at the same time the old devices are still sold.


While announcing new technology -> wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline -> announce the upcoming sale of a new device.

How the aforesaid sequence is aligned with answer option 2, I don't see any correlation.


http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatclub-verbal-attack-139074.html#p1122812
Note that the media CAN ONLY REPORT if the company itself "plans" it
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2173
Followers: 170

Kudos [?]: 1504 [0], given: 610

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 13:54
Expert's post
Capricorn369 wrote:
carcass wrote:
Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a constant stream of new devices to the market, and many
of them enjoy commercial success. But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful
device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale.
So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old
device have begun to decline.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the analyst’s main assertion?

• New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales. irrilevant

• Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new correct
devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.

• Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology. we care about the sales not technology

• Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others
make more frequent purchases. irrilevant

• Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using. loyal is not the point

is not good to announce new devices and at the same time sell the old ones, because the latter fall and all customers go to the new devices BUT is media magazine and so on report that new devices are annonce and at the same time the old devices are still sold.


While announcing new technology -> wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline -> announce the upcoming sale of a new device.

How the aforesaid sequence is aligned with answer option 2, I don't see any correlation.



Sorry

If the media announce a new plan this come from the company (apple says: we have the new iPhone) then if this is possible, and is possible to have storg sales of old devices the argument is weaken. The plan is not feasible, B say that is feasible because we have reports about this, due to something that the companies say

:)
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2012, 13:54
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts Twitter for verbal attack! Rux10 0 16 Dec 2010, 14:45
New posts How are GMATClub verbal tests? chigiwigi 0 15 Dec 2011, 00:19
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic More GMATClub Verbal CATs dzodzo85 1 21 Apr 2012, 08:41
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic GMATClub verbal difficulty Germainte 1 29 Aug 2012, 17:21
New posts 1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Anxiety attack during verbal arslanqadri 3 07 Nov 2013, 04:30
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 101 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.