Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT And The Holidays

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [2] , given: 432

Premium Member
GMAT And The Holidays [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
GMAT And The Holidays
Winter break is coming, so perhaps we should think about how this time can affect our GMAT studies. One obvious benefit is the additional time that we can devote to the GMAT. Along with less stress from school and (hopefully) work, this allows more energy for test preparation. However, there are also a number of pitfalls. The major obstacle is the disruption of any study schedule; catching up with old friends and family - who also have time off – can consume a great deal of time. Besides, most of us want to relax during the holiday season. So with that said, here are some thoughts for anyone preparing for the GMAT during the holidays.

1. Plan Ahead
You will need to balance time with friends and family and for other activities. While its not expected or recommended to slavishly adhere to a strict schedule beforehand, have a general idea of what you want to accomplish during the break. Consider a GMAT Calendar that you could follow. Once you reviewed everything you needed to cover for that day, you should feel free to be in the holiday mode.

2. Stay Flexible
With some well-deserved relax time and activities that your friends and family have in store for you, remember to be flexible with your studies. If something cannot be avoided or if you really want to do something else, try to anticipate these moments and work around them.

3. Avoid Stress
Sometimes studying simply won’t be possible, so try to keep your cool and acknowledge beforehand that a strict schedule is probably not realistic during this time of the year. Find other times during the day or night when you can compensate for this, but don’t try to overcompensate for lost time. In other words, blaming yourself for missing five days in a row and then studying all day will probably be counter-productive and increase stress.

4. Try Reading
Reading helps with training your ear for SC and also prepares you for RC. Instead of watching TV on the holiday evenings you can pick up a nice book (see GMAT Fiction for recommendations) and go through a few hundred pages in one evening without noticing it. It is also very helpful to have a book with you on the plane.

5. Prep on The Go
Consider making flashcards or downloading some Apps on your iPhone (GMAT ToolKit or OG 12 Mobile version) to study when you are waiting at the airport.

6. Ask for Prep-related Presents
Ask your family and friends to volunteer to help you with studying. It can be books, tests, courses, or Apps. But there are also a few things they can do without spending any money on, such as quizzing you on certain topics (you can give them a list or they can do it themselves) or volunteering to be your "students" (you can teach them certain topics - preferably ones that you are weak in).

The list above serves more as a conversation starter than a comprehensive guide, so please share with us any insights or methods that you have! :)

[And special thanks to bb who contributed to this post.]

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT And The Holidays [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 12:06
bmillan01

Very nicely written......I can co relate with every point.....

6. Ask for Prep-related Presents- I told this to my friend ..so on my birthday eve she gifted me barron's gmat guide...lol...but yeah its a good way to indulge family and friends in it.....

Becoming a teacher after finishing a topic is also a very productive way..I do that all the time.......

Its X mas and new year on the way...So the best deal is mixing joy with studies.....

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [1] , given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT And The Holidays [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 17:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Thank you so much for putting this together and for the idea!

My biggest mistake was not having any fun at all and not allowing any time for relaxation. You need to train right and that means, rest, eat, and sleep well - if your body is not in its top shape during the prep (and esp during the test), you won't perform great on the test.

To add one more: GMAT Club Tests (all of them) will be open and available for free during Christmas Eve and New Year's day (schedule is here)

Also, for everyone to check out: The one thing our top members wished they knew before taking the GMAT, this is from this thread: GMAT Club membership benefits

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 60

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT And The Holidays [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 08:19
Thanks for putting this together.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT And The Holidays [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 08:26
Kind of cruel to open up the free GMAT club tests on the holidays, huh? :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT And The Holidays [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 20:52
very good tips for effective utilization of time during winter vacation.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 39

Re: GMAT And The Holidays [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 00:46
Thanks for this post. I want to take this Exam in February, but Christmas in Ghana is a pretty big deal. Anyway, I will just have to focus on getting my desired result instead of just thinking about relaxing a lot and having fun.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
GPA: 2.4
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 38

Re: GMAT And The Holidays [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 21:15
After taking my first shot at GMAT without GMATclub, I wonder "what was I thinking ?"

All men dream - but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity... But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: NYU Stern - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 8

Re: GMAT And The Holidays [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 22:44
You are correct... GMAT end up being a back burner during the holidays. I have found my own way out. i sit for 2-3 hrs at the nearby Barnes & Noble, with one of my GMAT books. With a nice cuppa mocha, the prep keeps chugging along.
Re: GMAT And The Holidays   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2011, 22:44