Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

[HOW TO] GMATPrep 2012: obtain exam logs, timing, AWA essay.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [6] , given: 6

[HOW TO] GMATPrep 2012: obtain exam logs, timing, AWA essay. [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 17:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi all,

Many of us have been seeking to obtain exam logs once you exit the test on the new GMAT Prep software (2.1.279) which is based on Adobe Air. The software does NOT let you see the info once you exit the test review screen. Here's how to get the question numbers, your answer choices, timing per question etc. Importantly, this is the only way (to my knowledge) of recovering the text of your AWA essay which you wrote during each practice test.

GMATPrep 2012 saves a file called ‘preptool.vb’ in the following (hidden) directory:
C:\Users\[replace this with your name]\AppData\Roaming\GMATPrep\Local Store\

This ‘preptool.vb’ file is the log and can be opened using a SQL viewer/editor. I used 'SQLite Database Browser 2.0' (google it - no URLs allowed, yet!)
1. Open the file with SQLite browser.
2. Click on the 'browse data' tab then select the 'table' of interest. The exam log is saved under 'used_items'.
3. Export the data (File>Export>table as CSV file). You can also browse the data without exporting.
4. Open the CSV file with Excel and you have everything you need. Answer choices and timing for each question.

Sections are numbered as: 1. AWA, 2. Quantitative, 3. Verbal, 4. IR. Peculiarly, questions are numbered from '0' not '1'. Quant questions numbers are prefixed with '187:', verbal with '188:' and IR with '211:'. Time is displayed in seconds.

Finally, the log contains the data from both tests. I haven't tried ‘re-setting’ the tests to see if the program keeps adding data to the same 'preptool.vb' file so you should copy this file to another location before re-setting (just in case it does delete your first two attempts).

There are other potentially useful data in the other tables but I haven't got round to exploring them yet.

Enjoy! I hope this helps :-)

PS. the (hidden) question pool is listed in C:\Program Files (x86)\GMATPrep2012\pack0\pack0.db
PPS. there is a (hidden) file, intriguingly called 'scoring.db', in C:\Program Files (x86)\GMATPrep2012\
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 6

Re: [HOW TO] GMATPrep 2012: obtain exam logs, timing, AWA essay. [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 17:33
As a reminder, the available versions of the 'official' GMAT software are:

1. PowerPrep - oldest (quite out of date?)
2. GMATPrep v1.
3. GMATPrep v2.
4. GMATPrep 2012 (with IR; current version: 2.1.279).

By the way, the questions in GMATPrep v2 and GMATPrep 2012 are identical as far I can see. There is already a guide on how to obtain logs from the older version(s) but nothing on the new, Adobe Air-based version as far as I can find.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9437 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: [HOW TO] GMATPrep 2012: obtain exam logs, timing, AWA essay. [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 17:57
Expert's post
Thank you. Very interesting and helpful!
I will add it to my GMAT Prep thread - gmat-prep-power-prep-official-free-gmat-tests-77548.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3039 [0], given: 890

Re: [HOW TO] GMATPrep 2012: obtain exam logs, timing, AWA essay. [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 10:14
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 6

Re: [HOW TO] GMATPrep 2012: obtain exam logs, timing, AWA essay. [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 10:28
@bb
Thanks for all you've done here - I have benefited immensely from your contributions - this is my little 'thank you' to the community.

@souvik101990
I haven't managed to open the question pool database, yet. I only managed to discover to unwrap the software one day before my real GMAT (which was yesterday!). We'll get there soon I'm sure :wink:
However, the questions in this version (2012) seem identical to those in GMATPrep v2. I think someone already retrieved/compiled those questions (or was this GMATPrep v1?).
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: [HOW TO] GMATPrep 2012: obtain exam logs, timing, AWA essay. [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 10:06
Very insightful. Thank you. Kudos awarded :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: [HOW TO] GMATPrep 2012: obtain exam logs, timing, AWA essay. [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 05:42
this looks pretty useful. any idea how do i locate this file on mac?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.97

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 61

CAT Tests
Re: [HOW TO] GMATPrep 2012: obtain exam logs, timing, AWA essay. [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2014, 04:55
How to locate log files on MAC? Did not see any posts for MAC.
Re: [HOW TO] GMATPrep 2012: obtain exam logs, timing, AWA essay.   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2014, 04:55