Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATPrep 370....45 days to reach b/w 500 and 600--HELP!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMATPrep 370....45 days to reach b/w 500 and 600--HELP! [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 09:42
reviewed manhatten books for 6 weeks....got the general idea of the exam..

took it this morning....370(Q 18(6%), V 22(27%)
i have 45 days til my exam Monday Jan 30,2012
I must break 500 and goal is 600 flat.

there is to much jibber jabber in manhatten to really go through all of it...i am no braniac.
over the next 45 days i am going to take one manhattan test per week till test day, gmat prep on the saturday before my exam.

New study tactics:
OG12 problems primarily...forget 'studying'...do problems, understand basic concepts.
SC book + NP book, basic formulas get down.---these books seem to be the absolute bibles for a base 500.

i flew through math with 20mins to go....verbal about 10min to go....i felt anxious to finish like i was always going to run out of time. the verbal i felt at ease reading the material...surprisingly found it interesting.because i dont read much.

math section....data sufficiency...is the devil.....really need to understand the GMAT mentality in how they want us to analyze problems.

IS GETTING ABOVE 500 POSSIBLE OR EVEN FLAT 600. PLEASE PROVIDE ANY HELP, SUGGESTIONS, ETC.

I REFUSE TO LET THE GMAT BEAT ME.

THANKS
UGAFAN
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep 370....45 days to reach b/w 500 and 600--HELP! [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 15:19
ugafan wrote:
reviewed manhatten books for 6 weeks....got the general idea of the exam..

took it this morning....370(Q 18(6%), V 22(27%)
i have 45 days til my exam Monday Jan 30,2012
I must break 500 and goal is 600 flat.

there is to much jibber jabber in manhatten to really go through all of it...i am no braniac.
over the next 45 days i am going to take one manhattan test per week till test day, gmat prep on the saturday before my exam.

New study tactics:
OG12 problems primarily...forget 'studying'...do problems, understand basic concepts.
SC book + NP book, basic formulas get down.---these books seem to be the absolute bibles for a base 500.

i flew through math with 20mins to go....verbal about 10min to go....i felt anxious to finish like i was always going to run out of time. the verbal i felt at ease reading the material...surprisingly found it interesting.because i dont read much.

math section....data sufficiency...is the devil.....really need to understand the GMAT mentality in how they want us to analyze problems.

IS GETTING ABOVE 500 POSSIBLE OR EVEN FLAT 600. PLEASE PROVIDE ANY HELP, SUGGESTIONS, ETC.

I REFUSE TO LET THE GMAT BEAT ME.

THANKS
UGAFAN

Tips for data sufficiency:

Read the question.

Read statement 1. Assume it is true. Evaluate whether the information provided in statement 1 is enough to answer the question. You do not actually have to solve the problem, but you must determine if the information given is sufficient to solve the problem.
If you find that the information in statement 1 is sufficient, you automatically know that the answer will be either A (statement 1 alone is sufficient, but statement 2 alone is not sufficient) or D (each statement alone is sufficient to answer the question).
If you find that the information in statement 1 is not sufficient, you automatically know that the answer will be either B (statement 2 alone is sufficient, but statement 1 alone is not sufficient), C (both statements 1 and 2 together are sufficient to answer the question, but neither statement alone is sufficient), or E (statements 1 and 2 are not sufficient to answer the question asked and additional data is needed to answer the question).

Now, completely ignore statement 1 and only focus on statement 2. Read statement 2. Assume it is true. Note that the GMAT wants you to assume both statements 1 and 2 are true, and thus cannot contradict one another. Evaluate whether the information given in statement 2 is enough to answer the question. (Keep in mind, that once you have reviewed statement 1, you can narrow your choices to know the answer will be either A or D, or that the answer will be either B, C, or E - you can always narrow down to these two groups)

If after reviewing statement 1, you decided the answer was either A or D, read statement 2 and determine whether it is sufficient to answer the question alone. If statement 2 alone is sufficient, you know your answer is D (because you already determined that statement 1 alone is sufficient).
If after reviewing statement 2, you decided the answer was between B, C, or E, read statement 2 and determine whether it is sufficient alone. If so, the answer is B (since you already determined statement 1 alone is not sufficient). If it is not sufficient alone, but you can solve the problem with both statements 1 and 2 together, the answer is C. If neither statement alone is sufficient, the answer is E.

Hope this helps! If it confused you even more, let me know and I'll try to explain further.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMATPrep 370....45 days to reach b/w 500 and 600--HELP! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 13:52
ANY LAST MINUTE TIPS?well returning after holidays and the new year.

my gmat exam is on jan 30(monday 10am)

diagnostic test 2months ago---370 Q18,V22--really had no idea what i was doing

1/9 MAN1 350 Q27,V0-***did not take verbal because of internet issues
1/9 MAN2 540 Q39,V27---in my apt
1/12 MAN3 500 Q25,V34--took at library-complete zoo there
1/13 MAN4 590 Q38,V34-in my apt

verbal seems to be fine...CR I need to do better at.
quant.--hit or miss...interested to see how I perform on gmatprep again.

I am plan on taking 2 more Manhattan and 3 GMAT PREP ---all full length with AWAs this time and scratch pad.

Saturday(1/13)--relax, study my weak areas,prepare for full length test
Sunday-GMATPREP 2(full)
M-F study weak areas
Saturday-Man5(full)+review weak areas
Sunday-GMATPREP3(full), review weak areas
M-Th-review weak areas
Friday-MAN6(full)
Saturday-GMATPREP4(full)
Sunday-rest.....refresh on any weak areas..skim main issues with old tests
MONDAY_GMAT DAY

I have a feeling my Q will either save me or not.
+/- 50points come exam day so either near 600ish or sub 550.

ANY TIPS?
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 374 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: GMATPrep 370....45 days to reach b/w 500 and 600--HELP! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 04:35
Your plan looks good and your goal appears to be very practical.

Are you keeping an error log? How is your timing, are you finishing sections or rushing to finish?

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep 370....45 days to reach b/w 500 and 600--HELP! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 06:00
Plan looks good. Keeping the error log will help you hone in on the areas you need the most work on.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMATPrep 370....45 days to reach b/w 500 and 600--HELP! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 06:05
mohater wrote:
Your plan looks good and your goal appears to be very practical.

Are you keeping an error log? How is your timing, are you finishing sections or rushing to finish?

Mohart,

Manhattan has an amazing feature for the CATs--breaks down all of the sections by question level, ps/ds,rc,sc,cr...+ by indibividual type of CR or PS(ie. find the assumption, or quadratic equations, exponents and roots) .

After viewing my error report:
SC-pretty much 50/50...subj v agreement hurts me for some reason
RC-75%
CR- somehow I do bad on the practice tests for these but fine from the OG12...i look back over my answers and think some of them are debatable.nonetheless I am reviewing the 'find the assumption'

DS-one test i aced the other i struggled...it comes down to me having faith and going with my gut instinct on those.
PS-i sometimes freak out and get nervous. need to plug in variables.

Verbal i tend to be relaxed.

Math I need to focus on not getting a string of wrong answers--it kills my score.

Timing-I am finishing right on time. I do speed up a bit towards the end in verbal because i take longer to read the passages;however, my SC i do b/w 45-60sec.

I am going to focus on quant for the most part the final two weeks with some verbal(CR). My goal is to do better on getting PS right.

Conisistency is the key with math in order for me to score well and building that last bit of stamina for the essays.

any other tips..the forementioned schedule of events I will be following to a T. I was lucky and had this past week off to cram and really focus. I perform better with a tight deadline and a sense of ' i have no other choice but to do it now'. i do tend to review/refresh my memory for 45 mins in the am before i take a test to get the blood and brain moving. I operate better knowing its a short ways a way. 3months out i had no motivation or idea.

any other tips thanks....long post apologies.
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: GMATPrep 370....45 days to reach b/w 500 and 600--HELP! [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 04:14
The MGMAT error log works at a higher level. You need to figure out WHY you are answering certain problems incorrectly.

RC answers are generally not "debatable". There is always something wrong with the incorrect choice (uses extreme words (always, never), is logical but not referenced, makes sense to you but not with what is in stem, etc

General tips

Slow down when reading the question. This will help with the second guessing and also ensure you're answering the question asked
If you get an answer and are confident, move on. You can recover from an incorrect answer as long as you don't consistently score incorrectly.
Take your breaks between sections and make sure you keep things in the time limit of the real thing (8 minute breaks)

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Intern
Intern

Re: GMATPrep 370....45 days to reach b/w 500 and 600--HELP! [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 11:15
mohater wrote:
The MGMAT error log works at a higher level. You need to figure out WHY you are answering certain problems incorrectly.

RC answers are generally not "debatable". There is always something wrong with the incorrect choice (uses extreme words (always, never), is logical but not referenced, makes sense to you but not with what is in stem, etc

General tips

Slow down when reading the question. This will help with the second guessing and also ensure you're answering the question asked
If you get an answer and are confident, move on. You can recover from an incorrect answer as long as you don't consistently score incorrectly.
Take your breaks between sections and make sure you keep things in the time limit of the real thing (8 minute breaks)

RC i know arent debatable...I said CR in my initital post. CR i keep getting downt to two answers and every time go with option B instead of option A(the right answer)...

Just did GMATPREP
500 (Q 32, V 26)
AWA-went through the motions nothing strenous, easy, whatever, answer it move on
Q-----freaked out a bit to much , math really is much easier than MAN., i will be reviewing more problems from OG and GPREP test than from MAN this week. I also missed 5 in a row which hurt plus i ran out of time and guessed on final 2.
V- i lost track of time and got to caught up with SC and lost valuable time...I ended up guessing on the last 7 (got 1 right)...so pissed at myself for slacking in time awareness. i know those final few questions killed my score. i think if i had gotten half of those right i woud have reached 30 for sure on V.
**First time running out of time on verbal**

To do this week:
OG12 Quant basics
GPREP review test type questions
Verbal-no prep other than the occasional problem set....I am relying on the fact that I didnt finish last 7 as the reason I did bad on Verbal, if anything practice some CR and SC.

Will be downloading GPREP again for 2 more tests.

I thought about doing 4 more GPREP tests and maybe one Man rather than 3GPREP/2 MAN. I want to focus primarily on GPREP related questions.

GPREP test advice?or comments.

Thanks Mohater for all the help. Crunch time here.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMATPrep 370....45 days to reach b/w 500 and 600--HELP! [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 16:13
ok ppl I took the GMAT Jan 30...10am.

460..(29Q, 23V)

my previous GMATPreps were 500,500,530.
my previous Manhattan Tests were 540,590,590.

avg Q 36 (32-42), V (29)

math was fine on manhattan, my verbal was also much higher. while i think the manhattan tests are great for practice...the types of questions are certainly different than those found on the gmatprep.

i could hear my hearbeating the entire time of the math section and by the time i got to the verbal i was so low on fuel(because of nerves and burning through all my breakfast) i struggled to stay focused.

sadly i felt confident in math and about average in verbal. very surprised to see quant so low. i was consistently scoring 36+ in the last couple weeks.

after 460 on jan 30 I have just rescheduled for March 10 8am in hopes of reaching at least 550.
prior to my first gmat i put immense pressure on myself--no tv, no socializing, i quit working out---all things that i enjoy. had 3 days to chill before test which i think built up my nervousness.

this time around i am reverting back to enjoying tv, partying on friday nights, working out 2/3times per week and having the mental attitude of F*** it...i cant do much worse.

i have the day before my exam off from work(friday) to have one day to chill and not do to much...
i really need to chill.

any advice on 5 weeks of studying or cat test prep would be appreciated.

im looking to use manhattan tests merely for practice.
take 2 gmatpreps between now and tthe exam.
read manhattan SC and NP back to front.
do OG12 problems.
~10hrs on weekends
~6hr weekdays

thanks for any help even if its just small advice. gonna give this thing one more try.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep 370....45 days to reach b/w 500 and 600--HELP! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 01:23
For CR I can recommend the Powerscore CR Bible.
As it seems, SC is one of the major problems and most of the people say it is also very easy to improve and therefore can give you some extra points as well as more time during the exam. I haven't tried one of those online course and I am also a little bit struggling with SC. Maybe you just have to go through the Manhattan SC book often enough to internalize the concepts.

Did you finish the OG12 completely? Many people who score good in the exam went throught it twice. I would also recommend the Official Quant Review 2 and Verbal review. These are a must have.

After all, it is definately possible. I think you should continue to focus on practicing and then review some concepts once in a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: GMATPrep 370....45 days to reach b/w 500 and 600--HELP! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 04:46
It's possible it was just nerves.

The GMAC concedes you can take the GMAT in two days and have a natural variance of +/- 30 points. That's the biggest unexplained variance the GMAC has found.

Other than that, something must have gone wrong. Consistent incorrect answers hurt you and missing lower ranked problems hurts you more than missing higher ranked problems.

Yes, taking a break is important, but go back to and over your error log. There should be some underlying issue (skipping steps in algebra leads to mistakes, not applying the correct rule in geometry, etc.).

Intern
Intern

460-gmat 5 weeks-need 560 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 07:52
thanks for the tips.
i will revert back to basics.
read SC, NP, WT,and CR book.

~ 1RC, 10SC, 10OG math, 5 CR/ DAY tops 2hr per day ~8hr/m-F + 10hr wknd.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 460-gmat 5 weeks-need 560 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 19:05
ugafan wrote:
thanks for the tips.
i will revert back to basics.
read SC, NP, WT,and CR book.

~ 1RC, 10SC, 10OG math, 5 CR/ DAY tops 2hr per day ~8hr/m-F + 10hr wknd.

How did it turn out for you?
Re: 460-gmat 5 weeks-need 560   [#permalink] 11 May 2012, 19:05