Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATPrep 760 (49Q 47V) - Real GMAT 660 (40Q 41V) Please Help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMATPrep 760 (49Q 47V) - Real GMAT 660 (40Q 41V) Please Help [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 11:49
Please Help!

Here is my story. I have been preparing for the GMAT for about a year. Two weeks ago I took the GMATPrep practice test and scored a 760 (49Q 47V). To make sure that this wasn’t a fluke I took the quantitative section of the second GMATPrep test and scored a 47Q.

Last week I took the GMAT and scored a 660 (40Q 41V). 100 pts lower than my practice score. I am very unhappy with this score. I was hoping to at least break 730.

Below are the materials that I used:

GMAT Official Guide
GMAT Club tests: I did the first twenty tests and was averaging about 28 questions correct towards the end of my preparation.
1000 SC Doc- I complete the first 800 questions with 85% hit ratio towards the end.
LSAT Practice test - I completed about 10 practice tests with 1 to 3 question wrong per section.

The two nights prior to the test I couldn’t sleep and had to take a sleeping pill. I think that this might have messed me up on test day.

How would you guys recommend I prepare to re-take the test. I scheduled it for about a month from now. I did significantly worse on both sections but I think my focus should be math. Obviously I made a lot of dumb mistakes to go from a 49Q to 40Q. What materials should I use?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep 760 (49Q 47V) - Real GMAT 660 (40Q 41V) Please Help [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 12:07
Your experience is similar to what I experienced though not as dramatic. I was scoring consistently in the 750 - 770 range on practice tests with GMAT Prep and MGMAT and ended up with 710 on the real thing. I think GMAT Prep is too easy even though many people score close to their GMAT Prep scores.

Anyway, you might want to take a look at Jeff Sackmann's GMAT Hacks for extra math practice. I would also re-review many of the GMAT Club tests as well as any other old tests. If you have MGMAT (you can just pick up one or two books), that will give you access to six full-length practice exams with very difficult math problems. Reviewing these is good for stengthening concepts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep 760 (49Q 47V) - Real GMAT 660 (40Q 41V) Please Help [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 14:26
Sorry to hear about your disappointment. Maybe have a look in the GMAT experience forum there is a great thread there on retakes. This is going to sound like armchair advice since I haven’t taken it yet, but a lot of people that get into great schools end up taking the GMAT more than once. I don’t need to be dishearted that you need to take it again. If you have time though maybe you want to take off a bit of time to give yourself a break before retaking it so soon. Good luck!
Re: GMATPrep 760 (49Q 47V) - Real GMAT 660 (40Q 41V) Please Help   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2009, 14:26