Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GmatPrep-BoldFace

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2008
Posts: 251
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
GmatPrep-BoldFace [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2009, 17:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

38% (03:13) correct 62% (00:27) wrong based on 45 sessions
I've got troubles to answer some of the gmat prep questions. The reasoning will be appreciated with kudos :) . Thanks for the help :)
Attachments

1.jpg
1.jpg [ 57.63 KiB | Viewed 6476 times ]


_________________

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
7 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 316
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 199 [7] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: GmatPrep-BoldFace [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 00:38
7
This post received
KUDOS
Whenever you see a boldface question you should start finding the premises, subconclusions and conclusion of the argument and asking yourself, do the premises support the conclusion?, does this premise support the author conclusion or a subconclusion that the author rejects?, and so on.

Premise: A product that represents a clear technological advance over competing products can generally command a high price.

Premise: Because technological advances tend to be quickly surpassed and companies want to make large profits while they still can,

subconclusion: many companies charge the greatest price for such a product

Counterpremise: But large profits on the new product will give competitors a strong incentive to quickly match the mew product’s capabilities

conclusion: the strategy to maximize overall profit from a new product is to charge less than the greatest possible price.

Before going to the answer choices, you may want to rephrase what could be the role of the bold-face portions.

technological advances tend to be quickly surpassed is used to support the subconclusion that many companies charge the greatest price for such a product. However, the author seems to not agree with this policy and recommends that a company charge less than the greatest possible price.

So a rephrase could be. The first is evidence to support a strategy contrary to the author conclusion.

A) This could sound OK with the rephrase. However, the strategy is not counterproductive because technological advances tend to be quickly surpassed but because large profits on the new product will give competitors a strong incentive to quickly match the new product’s capabilities
So A is out.

B) the subconclusion is contrary to the argument, so we can eliminate B.

C) this is close to the rephrase but for the part talking about the rejection. The first part supports the second part (subconclusion)
This is the correct answer choice.

D) the author does not reject the first bold face part.
D is out

E) here you should have clear that the goal of the author is to maximize the profits, as is stated in the conclusion "the strategy to maximize overall profit".

So the argument does not reject the goal that the boldfaces parts seek to achieve.

Last edited by mikeCoolBoy on 23 Aug 2009, 01:22, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2009
Posts: 310
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 243 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: GmatPrep-BoldFace [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 00:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
C) this is close to the rephrase but for the part talking about the rejection. The first part supports the second part (subconclusion)


mikeCoolBoy
is that your answer is C?.. you can type your answer before your explanation , so that it would be easy to have quick view, .. Your explanations deserve kudos..
I agree with C , and this is actually the way to deal with Boldface questions, else we can't answer them. I have seen a problem with the same argument but different sentences bolded. if someone finds it post it here. Would be helpful to discuss them under the same thread..
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: GmatPrep-BoldFace [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 00:57
1
This post received
KUDOS
C sound good and above explanation is what I would vouch for

what is the OA ?
_________________

Regards,
Saaquib

If you find any grammatical mistake in my post please don't hesitate in pointing out.

Please +1 if you find this post useful.

My Blog

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2009
Posts: 310
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 243 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: GmatPrep-BoldFace [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 01:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
Here is the question with the same arguement , with different sentences bolded, If one understands the first question, then this question would be very easy.

A product that represents a clear technological advance over competing products can generally command a high price. Because technological advances tend to be quickly surpassed and companies want to make large profits while they still can, many companies charge the maximum possible price for such a product. But large profits on the new product will give competitors a strong incentive to quickly match the new product's capabilities. Consequently, the strategy to maximize overall profit from a new product is to charge less than the greatest possible price.

In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?


(A) The first is a consideration that has been raised to argue that a certain strategy is counterproductive; the second presents that strategy.

(B) The first is a consideration raised to support the strategy that the argument recommends; the second presents that strategy.

(C) The first is a consideration raised to explain the appeal of a certain strategy; the second presents that strategy.

(D) the first is a consideration raised to explain the appeal of a certain strategy; the second is another consideration offered to support the stratregy

E) The first is a consideration that has been used to justify pursuing a goal that the argument rejects; the second presents a course of action that has been adopted in pursuit of that goal.

OA :
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 316
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: GmatPrep-BoldFace [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 01:19
crejoc wrote:
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
C) this is close to the rephrase but for the part talking about the rejection. The first part supports the second part (subconclusion)


mikeCoolBoy
is that your answer is C?.. you can type your answer before your explanation , so that it would be easy to have quick view, .. Your explanations deserve kudos..
I agree with C , and this is actually the way to deal with Boldface questions, else we can't answer them. I have seen a problem with the same argument but different sentences bolded. if someone finds it post it here. Would be helpful to discuss them under the same thread..


You're right I forgot to write my answer. I'll do so next time.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2009
Posts: 177
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: GmatPrep-BoldFace [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 21:57
Here you go

product that represents a clear technological advance over competing products can generally command a high price. Because technological advances tend to be quickly surpassed and companies want to make large profits while they still can, many companies charge the greatest price the market will bear when they have such a product. But large profits on the new product will give competitors a strong incentive to quickly match the mew product's capabilities. Consequently, the strategy to maximize overall profit from a new product is to charge less than the greatest possible price.

In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is an assumption that forms the basis for a course of action that the argument criticizes; the second presents the course of action endorsed by the argument.
B. The first is a consideration raised to explain the appeal of a certain strategy; the second is a consideration raised to call into question the wisdom of adopting that strategy.
C. The first is an assumption that has been used to justify a certain strategy; the second is a consideration that is used to cast doubt on that assumption.
D. The first is a consideration raised in support of a strategy the argument endorses; the second presents grounds in support of that consideration.
E. The first is a consideration raised to show that adopting a certain strategy is unlikely to achieve the intended effect; the second is presented to explain the appeal of that strategy

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: GmatPrep-BoldFace [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 21:42
To the original question (the image) - not the previous one. IMO : C :-D

Assumption = Premise
Consideration = Premise

A – “counter productive” is wrong
B – there is no support for first strategy
C – Hold
D – “rejected” is too far fetched. The first bold part is not rejected by argument
E – The second strategy is not “yet” adopted.

C it is.

perfectstranger wrote:
I've got troubles to answer some of the gmat prep questions. The reasoning will be appreciated with kudos :) . Thanks for the help :)

_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 226
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: GmatPrep-BoldFace [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 07:08
Thanks for the explanations guys. C it is.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 92
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GmatPrep-BoldFace [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 21:49
A. Can someone explain clearly why it is C?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 206
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: GmatPrep-BoldFace [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 10:12
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
Whenever you see a boldface question you should start finding the premises, subconclusions and conclusion of the argument and asking yourself, do the premises support the conclusion?, does this premise support the author conclusion or a subconclusion that the author rejects?, and so on.

Premise: A product that represents a clear technological advance over competing products can generally command a high price.

Premise: Because technological advances tend to be quickly surpassed and companies want to make large profits while they still can,

subconclusion: many companies charge the greatest price for such a product

Counterpremise: But large profits on the new product will give competitors a strong incentive to quickly match the mew product’s capabilities

conclusion: the strategy to maximize overall profit from a new product is to charge less than the greatest possible price.

Before going to the answer choices, you may want to rephrase what could be the role of the bold-face portions.

technological advances tend to be quickly surpassed is used to support the subconclusion that many companies charge the greatest price for such a product. However, the author seems to not agree with this policy and recommends that a company charge less than the greatest possible price.

So a rephrase could be. The first is evidence to support a strategy contrary to the author conclusion.

A) This could sound OK with the rephrase. However, the strategy is not counterproductive because technological advances tend to be quickly surpassed but because large profits on the new product will give competitors a strong incentive to quickly match the new product’s capabilities
So A is out.

B) the subconclusion is contrary to the argument, so we can eliminate B.

C) this is close to the rephrase but for the part talking about the rejection. The first part supports the second part (subconclusion)
This is the correct answer choice.

D) the author does not reject the first bold face part.
D is out

E) here you should have clear that the goal of the author is to maximize the profits, as is stated in the conclusion "the strategy to maximize overall profit".

So the argument does not reject the goal that the boldfaces parts seek to achieve.


Real nice explanation!

The only thing I might add is that in answer choice E, the second part of the answer choice does not express the intended outcome of the strategy, but it is the strategy itself.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: GmatPrep-BoldFace [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 03:21
Am sure everyone will come to a point where you will struck up with B and C to choose.

I would eliminate C because, the first boldface "technological advances tend to be quickly surpassed", is NEVER an assumption.

It means that, it is a pattern that is happening already.

So i would go with B
Re: GmatPrep-BoldFace   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2014, 03:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GmatPrep-BoldFace

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.