Time taken 14 mins.
1. The passage suggests that Professor Clive Holmes would most likely agree with which of the following statements?
A. An understanding of seventeenth-century English local institutions requires a consideration of national issues.
"...the "country community" school of seventeenth-century English history whose intemperate excesses in removing all national issues from the history of that period have been exposed by Professor Clive Holmes"
2. It can be inferred from the passage that the author of the passage considers Allen's "discovery" (see highlighted text) to be
D. an unexplained, isolated fact
"We are not told in what way, if at all, this discovery illuminates historical understanding."
3. It can be inferred that the author of the passage considers Allen's research on seventeenth-century Massachusetts colonies to be
C. detailed but problematic
"Colonial historian David Allen's intensive study of five communities in seventeenth-century Massachusetts is a model of meticulous scholarship on the detailed microcosmic level, and is convincing up to a point.
However, he overstates his case with the declaration....
5. The author of the passage is primarily concerned with
E. criticizing a particular study and the approach to historical scholarship it represents
4. According to the passage, which of the following was true of most villages in seventeenth-century England?
A. The resident squire had significant authority.
B. Church members were selected on the basis of their social status within the community.
C. Low population density restricted agricultural and economic growth.
D. There was little diversity in local institutions from one region to another.
E. National events had little impact on local customs and administrative organization.>> Need help with this one.
By POE I can reach to A but don't know how to infer that from para. I was stumped by option D in starting bec of following line:
"Allen suggests that much more coherence and direct continuity existed between English and colonial
agricultural practices and administrative organization than other historians have suggested. ".But after rereading i found the difference.