Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

gmatprep CR - tricky one!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [3] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 02:33
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

44% (02:50) correct 56% (02:15) wrong based on 46 sessions
please explain this ques

OA to follow
Attachments

cr-gmatprep.jpg
cr-gmatprep.jpg [ 179.96 KiB | Viewed 2083 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 03:17
Tricky one. I would go for A.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 20

Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 05:09
I would go for E. Explanation would follow if i am correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 06:59
I would go for E.....please post the OA....Tricky one that!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 07:18
Guys OA is Indeed E.

will really appreciate if you can explain your reasoning.

Thanks
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 665 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
Yes, this is definitely E. The two surveys discuss different groups of people. The first is a survey of *subscribers* to the magazine. The second discusses *all* people who bought merchandise in response to magazine ads. Both claims can be true if a lot of under-35 non-subscribers bought merchandise, which is what E says.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 07:42
IanStewart wrote:
Yes, this is definitely E. The two surveys discuss different groups of people. The first is a survey of *subscribers* to the magazine. The second discusses *all* people who bought merchandise in response to magazine ads. Both claims can be true if a lot of under-35 non-subscribers bought merchandise, which is what E says.

Hi Ian,

i am still confused..can you elaborate a bit more please.

Thanks
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 395 [3] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 20:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hit and Run case ! The argument hits on one group and then starts talking about another group. The catch is 70% of merchandise orders can be placed by any of the 2 groups - over 35 yrs and exactly 35 yrs

30% of merchandise orders come from source X (subscribers)
70% of merchandise orders will come from different source. And composition of this group is unknown.

A cannot be necessarily true.
B cannot be inferred.
C makes a wrong assumption that over 35 yr group has placed more merchandise orders. What if the 35 yr group has placed most orders?
D is out of scope since we don't know the order value in different groups
E Answer

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 04:55
I agree for E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 06:08
E . A tricky one !

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 5

Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 07:20
This post received
KUDOS
I said (C). I don't understand how it can be (E) - you don't really have the information to determine how many non-subscribers placed orders, which is what (E) is talking about. For example, what if 100 subscribers placed orders, and 30 of them were under age 35, while only 5 non-subscribers placed orders, and 4 of them were under age 35? Then both findings are still correct, but (E) is false (unless we're going on some very arbitrary definition of "many").

(C) fits both findings the best. 70% of subscribers who placed orders were age 35 or over, a big majority. The only way to make (C) not true is if the number of non-subscribers who placed orders is larger than the number of subscribers who placed orders - and even then, you can't really determine whether or not the 30% of subscribers under 35 + the "most" of non-subscribers under 35 outnumber the 70% of subscribers + the remaining non-subscribers.

Really it seems like the question doesn't give you enough info to properly answer it, but I think (C) is a better answer than (E), given the assumptions you have to make to choose either one.
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 665 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
TehJay wrote:
I said (C). I don't understand how it can be (E) - you don't really have the information to determine how many non-subscribers placed orders, which is what (E) is talking about. For example, what if 100 subscribers placed orders, and 30 of them were under age 35, while only 5 non-subscribers placed orders, and 4 of them were under age 35? Then both findings are still correct, but (E) is false (unless we're going on some very arbitrary definition of "many").

No, you may have misinterpreted one of the two findings. The second finding says that most orders were placed by people under 35; that includes orders from both subscribers and non-subscribers. I think you are interpreting that finding to be about orders from non-subscribers only, but it's not. So in your hypothetical example, you have 105 orders in total, but still, only 34 orders come from people under the age of thirty-five. That isn't consistent with the second finding in the stem which tells us that most orders come from under-thirty-fives, so is not a possible scenario.

TehJay wrote:
(C) fits both findings the best. 70% of subscribers who placed orders were age 35 or over, a big majority. The only way to make (C) not true is if the number of non-subscribers who placed orders is larger than the number of subscribers who placed orders - and even then, you can't really determine whether or not the 30% of subscribers under 35 + the "most" of non-subscribers under 35 outnumber the 70% of subscribers + the remaining non-subscribers.

It's actually mathematically impossible for C to be true. Say you have S subscribers and N non-subscribers who placed orders. We know that 0.7S orders came from subscribers over thirty-five. Say you have X orders in total from non-subscribers over 35. We know from the second finding that less than half of all orders come from people over thirty-five, so:

(0.7S + X)/(N+S) < 1/2

But the proportion of all orders coming from subscribers over thirty-five is 0.7S/(N+S), and this is clearly less than the left side of the inequality above, so must be less than one half. So it's impossible for 'most' orders to have come from subscribers over thirty-five, and C cannot be true.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 6

Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 07:41
good question. agree with E.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 10:28
Seeing it first time....these type of questions...Good one
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NCC,SAE,YHIA
WE 1: 3 years international sales & mktg-projects

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 10:42
Findings of magazine: 30% of the orders placed by subscribers in response to advertisements were placed by subscribers under the age 35.

Findings of the advertiser: most of the orders placed in response to advertisements were placed by people under the age 35.

As already illustrated by nusmavrik the argument subtly shifts from subscribers to general population.

Most in advertiser's finding means >50%.

Let us assume total 100 orders were placed in response to advertisement in the magazine.
Therefore at least 50 people who ordered were under the age of 35 as per advertiser's finding.

In case all the above 100 people were subscribers of the magazine.
Which means only 30 people under the age of 35 placed the order.

It follows from above that orders placed by subcribers = total orders placed cannot be true, since advertiser's survey finding states that 50 people were under 35.
Moreover number of orders placed by subscribers cannot be more than total orders placed.

Therefore the orders placed by subscribers has to be less than the total number of orders,
==>ie. part of the orders were placed by non subscribers of the magazine.

Sun Tzu-Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 10:20
Nice!!

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 315

Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one! [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 02:01
This post received
KUDOS
i think E correct because E can be translated to the assumption that many people under the age of 35 who read the advertisement on the magazine decided to order merchandise but many of them did not buy magazine. They could read by chance.
C is counter fact.

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Re: gmatprep CR - tricky one!   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2011, 02:01