Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 47

Kudos [?]: 173 [7] , given: 1

GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
The GMAT test writers have released the GMATPrep Exam Pack 1, which consists of two additional full length computer adaptive tests and are an extension to the free Official GMATPrep software. The cost of these two additional exams is $39.99. Together with the two free official tests that come with the GMATPrep software, students now have access to a full set of four computer adaptive tests. The screen below shows the additional two tests that appear in the software after you have paid and activated the GMATPrep Exam Pack 1. The software allows you to either choose the practice tests from the default GMATPrep Default Question Pack(free) or from the paid GMATPrep Exam Pack 1.

The Exam Pack 1 says that if one were to take the tests more than once, it is likely that a student will see the same questions repeated. My guess is that the design of these two tests is similar to the Official GMATPrep tests that uses a small database of questions.he exams in GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 are numbered as Exam 3 and 4. I took the GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 several times and I first attempted Exam 3 and Exam 4 and then I repeated the two exams again. I found that when I repeated Exam 3, 25 of the questions came from the questions that I encountered when I first took Exam 3, and another 5 were from Exam 4. This means that there is very little to gain from repeatedly taking the GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 because of the large amount of repetition. In my opinion, the best way to use the GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 is to take the two tests once.

As far as the question pool that is used in the GMATPrep Exam Pack 1, all of the questions are from recent administrations of the GMAT over the last six years. There is no overlap with the questions in the Official Guide, GMATPrep, or GMATPrep Question Pack 1.

I installed the GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 on both a PC and a Mac, and encountered errors and was not able to analyze the tests. I have reported this error to GMAC, and I will need to wait until GMAC fixes this error. At this stage, it is unlikely that the error is confined on my end, but that is a possibility as well.

So for now, the release of the GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 is good news for students preparing for the GMAT, because it gives them additional authentic tests to practice and gauge where they stand in their GMAT preparation. I highly recommend students to exclusively use these practice tests for assessing their preparation.
Attachments

gmatprepexampack1-01.png
gmatprepexampack1-01.png [ 122.55 KiB | Viewed 5147 times ]

Free Video Explanations: OFFICIAL GUIDE GMAT 13, 12, 11, 10; QUANT REVIEW 2nd, 1st.

Last edited by dabral on 16 Sep 2013, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 13:03
Hi
This is indeed a great news for applicants like me who have been thinking to appear in the GMAT shortly.
Can you tell if you are aware that the question database will be different from the existing set of the two free tests ?

Regards.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 1

Re: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 14:27
@ani781

Yes, the questions in the database of GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 are completely different from the pool of questions that come in the free two adaptive tests that are part of the GMATPrep. The questions that I have looked at so far are from the current set of test writers(Pearson Vue) and have been tested in the last six years or so. In that regard, they are the closest to the real exam.

Dabral

Free Video Explanations: OFFICIAL GUIDE GMAT 13, 12, 11, 10; QUANT REVIEW 2nd, 1st.

Manager
Manager

Re: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 12:39
Update: The GMATPrep software has been updated to version 2.2.315 and that takes care of the initial error I was facing with GMATPrep Exam Pack 1. Now the two new computer adaptive tests are operating properly. Feel free to download these excellent tests from mba.com.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 22:35
Thank you for the quick review. Are the IR and AWA section also new?
Manager
Manager

Re: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 07:35
@Samwong
The IR section is new, and the AWA section uses the same pool of topics that are published by GMAC on their site.
http://www.mba.com/~/media/Files/mba/NE ... 100606.pdf

Cheers,
Dabral

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 05:20
I gave the first exam in Exam Pack 1 and my comments are as below.

1. There are 1-2 questions in Maths that are simple number changes of the earlier GMATPrep questions.
2. There are 1-2 questions that are exactly similar to some GMATPrep questions.
- I got a CR which is the same question as I have seen before, but the answer options are slightly different.
- I got an RC that I found to be very very close to an RC from OG13. It talks about women historians and political
historians.
3. I also felt that the scoring algorithm seems a little different. I say so because Exam Pack 1 seems to penalise you less if you do mistakes in the initial questions. (I have tested a lot of cases on GMATPrep, and I am very sure that GMATPrep gives high importance to initial questions)
4. Scored 710 (Q49, V38)
Manager
Manager

Re: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 14:53
@gmatter0913

Thanks for these observations. My best guess would be that the algorithm is the same as in the free GMATPrep tests and the official GMAT.
The test writers have no reason to change that aspect of the software.

So far I haven't seen any duplication from the Official Guides or the default GMATPrep Exams. It is possible that a few might pop up. That is the
case with the default GMATPrep Exam that overlaps with the 10th edition, not a whole lot, but it does.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 530 Q37 V25
GPA: 3.32
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 20

CAT Tests
Re: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 08:10
Hi.

I am giving serious thought of buying this Exam + Question pack(69$) since there is 15% discount in GMAC(Autumn offer)

But I am not giving my GMAT exam not in recent months. Maybe march next year.

Can somebody tell me the validity period of this Online pack? 1 year?

Cheers
Qoofi

I'm telling this because you don't get it. You think you get it which is not the same as actually getting it. Get it?

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE: Accounting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 17

Re: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 08:33
Qoofi wrote:
Hi.

I am giving serious thought of buying this Exam + Question pack(69$) since there is 15% discount in GMAC(Autumn offer)

But I am not giving my GMAT exam not in recent months. Maybe march next year.

Can somebody tell me the validity period of this Online pack? 1 year?

Cheers
Qoofi

Forever. It does not expire.
Intern
Intern
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 14:07
Trying to purchase the GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 using "AUTUMN" but the code does not appear to be working. Anyone else with success?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 15:22
Same thing happened to me. The discount code did not work for exam pack.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Re: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 15:05
Any update from GMAT prep? Anyone got the code to work successfully?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-25-2013
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Re: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 23:45
Hi, I know it's a good news for us, but actually I paid, I downloaded, and I successfully activated it, but when I was running the exam pack 1 in PREP, one error message jumped out and casued I can't carry on. could you help out of here? thanks~

the message showed below:

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V33
WE: Engineering (Other)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 23:26
Thanks Dabral for your review!
Re: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1: Release and Initial Comments   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2013, 23:26