Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 16:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATPrep Questions Pack 1 Review: Day 1 - Log

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.74
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: GMATPrep Questions Pack 1 Review: Day 1 - Log [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 22:11
This post received
KUDOS
Both PS and DS questions are newer and contains relatively hard problems. Here is the pie chart of question types. As I said before I have completed only 70% of the quant problems. I will update these as soon as I am done with the set.

Attachment:
ps.jpg
ps.jpg [ 29.18 KiB | Viewed 5503 times ]

Attachment:
ds.jpg
ds.jpg [ 28.5 KiB | Viewed 5503 times ]

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep Questions Pack 1 Review: Day 1 - Log [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 05:19
udvranto wrote:
I finished SC and CR tonight. I finished about 70% of PS and DS. Hopefully, I will post the PS and DS by Friday.

Here is a rough analysis of SC and CR. These are by no means complete or accurate. I will revise and post a more accurate analysis.

1. SC questions are very old. I assumed that the question ID reflects the creation time of the question. I found that the SC questions in QPack1 range from 1000 to 3000, whereas the default set contains questions in the 7000 range.

Hi udvranto,

what do you mean by these ranges? I coudn't get it, can you please explain it in a different way?

regards
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 65 [2] , given: 50

Re: GMATPrep Questions Pack 1 Review: Day 1 - Log [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 07:32
This post received
KUDOS
lamanxa,
Each question in the QPack 1 and the default set (the 90 questions that are available in GMATPrep for free) has an unique 5 digit question number. For example, a SC question ID would look like VSC01783.

The ID VSC01783 says, the question is from
1) Verbal pool - V
2) Sentence Correction sub pool - SC
3) ID number - 01783

Similarly, examples of PS, DS, and CR are QPS05678, QDS04789, and VCR03498, respectively.

Grouped questions have a little different format. A group of reading comprehension questions is numbered from VRC00198-01 to VRC00198-05, in which the -XX part indicates question number related to the passage 00198.

Integrated reasoning questions may come in group as well as in standalone flavors. An Integrated reasoning questions ID starts with an IIR tag.

Interestingly, the IIR IDs are between two to three digits, for example IIR00034, IIR00125, etc. From this fact, I assumed that the question ID reflects the sequence in which it was created. For example, I assumed that question VSC01783 is older that question VSC0345.

As I said before, the SC questions in QPack1 range from 1000 to 3000, whereas the default set contains SC questions in the 7000 range. If my assumption is correct, it can be inferred that the SC questions in QPack 1 are older than the default set. On the other hand, the quant questions appear to be newer.

(All the question numbers used in the post are randomly created by me.)

(I also assumed that the 5-digit ID number has one more part in it. I think the first three digits indicate an exam code and the last two digits represent the question number within the exam. For example, VSC01783 means Verbal - Sentence Correction - Exam Code 017 - Question 83 and VRC00198-01 means Verbal - Reading Comprehension - Exam Code 001 - Passage 98 - Question 01. However, this assumption is not needed for the inference above.)

Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep Questions Pack 1 Review: Day 1 - Log [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 10:07
@ udvranto:
Thanks a bunch for going thru the Pack1 and working on this review!
One suggestion for your graphs: could you add the % and number of questions for each categories?
I would be happy to help out with any data/ excel/ graph/ tables formatting or even data entry if needed.
Greg

Kudos is a great way to say Thank you...

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep Questions Pack 1 Review: Day 1 - Log [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 21:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

I just found an overlap between the "new" question pack and the OG Quant, 1st edition.

The question id number in the question pack is QPS14006. This is the exact same question as PS question number 131 in OG Quant (1st ed.), page 79.

I am not sure how much more overlap there is, but I feel a bit cheated. GMAC did not mention this anywhere on their website.

I bought the question pack because I thought it would contain NEW additional questions that are not part of any other GMAC publication.

It would be interesting to find out how much overlap there really is. Maybe Manhattan GMAT could do this kind of analysis - similarly to the comparison between OG12 and OG13.

Anyways, won't complain too much about this - after all, the software kind of allows you to practice more efficiently.

By the way, this link gives a very misleading answer in this regard:

http://www.mba.com/faq/gmatprep-softwar ... ducts.aspx

Edit: Not sure if this question really is part of the additional question pack - or part of the free questions that come with the software - could someone please verify?

Maybe my rant was inappropriate after all
:lol:

Quote:
What's the overlap between the questions in Question Pack 1 and other GMAT products?

Home > GMATPrep® Software FAQs > What's the overlap between the questions in Question Pack 1 and other GMAT products?

Question Pack 1 contains 404 questions and answer explanations that are unique to GMATPrep® - they are not available in any other GMAT® exam product.

Attachments

rabbit.png
rabbit.png [ 30.08 KiB | Viewed 5254 times ]

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 50

Re: GMATPrep Questions Pack 1 Review: Day 1 - Log [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 07:47
The final review is posted here: gmatprep-question-pack-1-review-131392.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 50

Re: GMATPrep Questions Pack 1 Review: Day 1 - Log [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 07:48
jfk,
Thanks for pointing it out. I mentioned your post in the final review.

Re: GMATPrep Questions Pack 1 Review: Day 1 - Log   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2012, 07:48