Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATPrep scoring inconsistencies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMATPrep scoring inconsistencies [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 12:21
Can anyone explain the results of the two GMATPrep tests that appear in the attached file? The algorithm doesn't seem consistent.

Test #1: Q49, V38 (83%, 84%)
Test #2: Q48, V32 (78%, 64%)

In T1 I had 16 Q errors and 14 V errors, and in T2 I had 14 Q errors and 12 V errors. I know that simply counting errors is wrong, but the number of errors and their location is still important.

T1: in questions 1-10 I had 3 Q errors and 3 V errors. T2: 1 Q error and 2 V errors
T1: in questions 1-20 I had 6 Q errors and 7 V errors. T2: 5 Q error and 4 V errors

From these results I would have expected better scores in T2. Instead, V crashed by 20%.

The only explanation I can find is that in T2 I got the first Q and second V wrong, and that GMATPrep punishes for this in draconian way.

Can anyone think of any other explanation?

Thanks!
Attachments

File comment: GMATPrep Tests results
GMATPrep_Tests.xlsx [10.32 KiB]
Downloaded 8 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2280

Kudos [?]: 8825 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMATPrep scoring inconsistencies [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 16:14
Expert's post
Experimental questions would have such an impact. Though GMAT Prep does not have experimental questions, it does account for them to make the score comparable.

And yes, they seem to be pretty painful when it gets to missing the first few questions (GMAT Prep that is at least)
gmat-scores-83890.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-23-2014
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: GMATPrep scoring inconsistencies [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 06:11
Hey Piti and bb,

Even I encountered a similar scenario after i gave my 1st GMATprep test. Though i have not used the second one which im planning to utilize at the right time.

My scenario was like, the total score was 580 with Q-47 and V-26
The thing which i felt fishy was, that I got only 17 questions right and 20 questions wrong. Though I wanted to believe the fact that i scored 47 on quant, I restrained myself and started having doubts after i saw that i answered only 17 questions right and my score was 47.

I mean is it really possible to score a 47 in quant with only 17 questions answered correctly???

I did post my query in another thread and im waiting for some expert replies, in the meanwhile i hope to get more attention to my query on this thread atleast.

I dont know if GMATprep scoring process is inconsistent; Experts please enlighten us.

Thanks
Prithvi
Re: GMATPrep scoring inconsistencies   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2014, 06:11