Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATPrep Test 1 Accuracy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMATPrep Test 1 Accuracy [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 19:28
Hey all,

I've just begun my GMAT journey, and received some interesting results today. After scanning the forums for about a week I've finally taken the step to do my first GMATPrep free test to see where I stand (as so many of you suggest). Going into the test I expected to do fairly well given that I have a strong English background - an author and a English Masters student are my parents - and I was pretty strong in high school math, though it's been a few years since I've looked at any of that material.

When writing the practice test, especially the Quant section, I was very discouraged because I felt as though I got EVERY question wrong. I'm normally a pretty calm and confident person, so this was not the best feeling.

When I got my scores, though, I found out that I had earned a very respectable 640 (Q44, V35). Now, as stated I expected to do well in Verbal, which I didn't really, and I expected and assumed while writing that I bombed Quant, again which wasn't the case.

Any thoughts or other experiences like this? I know this is a very general post but I'm slightly confused and am excited to hear about other peoples' first times. Happy studying all!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep Test 1 Accuracy [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 19:51
Hi, welcome to gmat club!!

While doing gmat prep or any other CAT test, you are your best judget. If you think that some of your answers were mere guesses or you were not confident enough for the answers you chose, then there is every possibility that you got your problems correct pure luckily. In that case, you need to tell yourself that 640 was a result of luck that was with your side that day & start your study again with full focus. During my gmat prep CATs, I once got a 710 but at the same time, I knew that that score was based on some guesses that proved correct. So at the end of the day, you are your best judge.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: GMATPrep Test 1 Accuracy [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 04:20
Never rely on your "feeling" on the test. When you become very comfortable with a section, it doesn't mean you're acing it. The GMAT is designed to stratify test takers and adapt the question difficulty to your ability.

Use an error log to figure out WHY you made certain mistakes and figure out how to resolve them. Go through the book threads (search for math books/verbal books) to figure out what books to use to get you through the sub-topics.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 5

Re: GMATPrep Test 1 Accuracy [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 14:19
Expert's post
Well, now you have a sense of where you stand and how you can improve to get to where you want to be.

If you're doing well on individual questions when you study but not as well when you do a practice test---consider the psychological and time pressure components of the exam.

Don't underestimate the importance of psychology.

Best of luck going forward.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep Test 1 Accuracy [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 17:50
I have been thinking about the GMAT for a while now...but just started seriously preparing for it. The error log seems to be getting a lot of attention here on the forums. There are entire threads devoted to error logs and their uses. I am thinking about using one as well to track my performance -- just not sure if it's best to use it right at the start of my preparation or after I have strengthened my basics.
Re: GMATPrep Test 1 Accuracy   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2011, 17:50