Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATPrep vs MGMAT vs Actual GMAT IR?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 193 [1] , given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
GMATPrep vs MGMAT vs Actual GMAT IR? [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 01:20
This post received
KUDOS
Hey folks, so far I have taken three practice CATS in all. MGMAT 1 & 2 and GMATPrep 1. I've noticed a disparity in my IR scores and don't know what to gather from it. On both, MGMAT cats, I scored a pathetic 3/8 raw score. Today I took my first GMATPrep cat and scored a 7/8 raw score (I got 8/12 correct). Note, that I have not put in any studying for IR between MGMAT 2 and GMATPrep 1.

My overall impression is that the MGMAT IR section is much, much more difficult than the GMAT Prep or OG13 IR. Now, for those of you who have already taken the GMAT w/IR, how would you rate the difficulty level? Closer to GMATPrep or somewhere in between GMATPrep and MGMAT? What about others? Any opinions?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 559 [2] , given: 114

Re: GMATPrep vs MGMAT vs Actual GMAT IR? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
Although I have no experienced this because I've not taken both exams, I would always consider the GMATprep a more accurate representation of my score because this test is provided directly by GMAC (the creators of the GMAT). Their practice tests are knows as the most accurate representation of what you would have scored on the GMAT if you'd taken the real thing instead of the practice test on that day.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 193 [2] , given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMATPrep vs MGMAT vs Actual GMAT IR? [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 00:06
This post received
KUDOS
GMATLA wrote:
Although I have no experienced this because I've not taken both exams, I would always consider the GMATprep a more accurate representation of my score because this test is provided directly by GMAC (the creators of the GMAT). Their practice tests are knows as the most accurate representation of what you would have scored on the GMAT if you'd taken the real thing instead of the practice test on that day.

Thanks for the input! I suppose you're right; after all GMATPrep is the closest thing to the actual GMAT tests. It's just funny because for the past month I've been stressing about IR and hoping to make at most 4/8 and then I go and do a GMATPrep and get a 7. I feel much better now and can say in retrospect that the pain I went through doing MGMAT IR questions were worth it, for they make the GMATPrep IR seem so much easer now.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 104

Re: GMATPrep vs MGMAT vs Actual GMAT IR? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 18:14
I'm actually interested in this topic as well. I have taken 6 MGMAT CATs and have consistently scored between 3-5 out of 8 for IR. I have also taken the 2 GMAT Prep CATs and have gotten 8 for IR. I was wondering if anyone who has taken the actual GMAT could comment on the difficulty of IR in comparison to the MGMAT IR and GMAT Prep IR.

Thank you
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMATPrep vs MGMAT vs Actual GMAT IR? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 17:52
This post received
KUDOS
I am having trouble with the IR section too. I took a couple of MGMAT CAT tests and my best score was 4. I looked at the IR percentile data put out by GMAC and 98% scored an 8. I don't know what to make of it.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 18

Re: GMATPrep vs MGMAT vs Actual GMAT IR? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 18:00
This post received
KUDOS
I can't speak for GMATPrep but I found the MGMAT IR section to be much more difficult (and definitely more time consuming) than the actual GMAT IR section. I need to go back and check but I'm pretty sure I got around the same scores as you guys for the MGMAT CATs and I ended up with a 8 on the actual test.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMATPrep vs MGMAT vs Actual GMAT IR? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 14:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone else can also confirm their experiences. I just took my first MGMAT IR today and got a 2.96...yikes.

Thanks,
Jason
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 50

Re: GMATPrep vs MGMAT vs Actual GMAT IR? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
I am constantly scoring around 5 as well. So frustrating...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMATPrep vs MGMAT vs Actual GMAT IR? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
I have gotten the following results on the IR section on Manhattan CATs:
4-6
6-7
4-6
4-6
2-4
2-4
I have gotten this results in this order. The more I practice the worse I get. I was relieved to find this post, because I was starting to get worried. I have not taken any GMAT prep tests yet, but on the Manhattan Tests I have scored 670, 730, 730, 750, 730, 750. So I have a good level.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 4

Re: GMATPrep vs MGMAT vs Actual GMAT IR? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 17:23
This post received
KUDOS
I was actually looking for this information before my test but couldn't find anything concrete. My study plan for the IR involved Magoosh and Manhattan GMAT. After taking the real test, I can tell you the following:

- Magoosh questions were a little bit easier than the real test
- Manhattan questions were much more difficult than the real test.

In regards to MGMAT, I only signed up for the practice CATs and did a few of the IR sections. My score went down each time and I found it a time constraint to get these done. Calculations were quite complex and questions seemed very, VERY detailed. However, the real test IR questions were a lot more manageable and I felt like it was easier to budget time.

Hopefully that helps. Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 6

Re: GMATPrep vs MGMAT vs Actual GMAT IR? [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 05:32
This post received
KUDOS
macjas wrote:
Hey folks, so far I have taken three practice CATS in all. MGMAT 1 & 2 and GMATPrep 1. I've noticed a disparity in my IR scores and don't know what to gather from it. On both, MGMAT cats, I scored a pathetic 3/8 raw score. Today I took my first GMATPrep cat and scored a 7/8 raw score (I got 8/12 correct). Note, that I have not put in any studying for IR between MGMAT 2 and GMATPrep 1.

My overall impression is that the MGMAT IR section is much, much more difficult than the GMAT Prep or OG13 IR. Now, for those of you who have already taken the GMAT w/IR, how would you rate the difficulty level? Closer to GMATPrep or somewhere in between GMATPrep and MGMAT? What about others? Any opinions?

Just wanted to add my two cents in...

I just took the GMAT and scored 7 out of 8 on IR. On MGMAT, I had been scoring between 3-5. Although, I noticed that MGMAT recently (as of Sept '12) adjusted their IR section, and it is a bit easier now (when I scored ~5).

I would say that GMAT Prep is usually a good predictor for the real test, BUT, for IR, this is probably only true the first time you take it. I thought that I could go back through these problems and get extra practice (similar to what I did for quant and verbal). However, I found that this falsely boosted my confidence level on this portion of the test. IR problems are infinitely easier the second time around because they are so memorable. As such, I did not go into the real IR section thinking that it would be a big deal because I breezed through GMAT Prep and got 8's every time. But, do not underestimate the IR. I got some pretty weird (probably experimental) problems that took a good amount of time to make sense of and didn't finish the section in time.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [3] , given: 12

Re: GMATPrep vs MGMAT vs Actual GMAT IR? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 13:59
This post received
KUDOS
Guys,

Let me first thank you for making me fee a lot more comfortable with my scores. even I was consistently scoring 4-5 on the MGMAT tests. I always used to run out of time for the last couple of questions. However, my GMAT prep score was much better.

I have a couple of questions.
On the real GMAT, Roughly how many questions do you need to answer right to get an 8?
Is there a penalty for not this section too?
Re: GMATPrep vs MGMAT vs Actual GMAT IR?   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2013, 13:59