Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATPrep1: 700 (Q51,V33). ...2nd GMATPrep1: 770 (Q51,V42)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 326

Kudos [?]: 1574 [3] , given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
GMATPrep1: 700 (Q51,V33). ...2nd GMATPrep1: 770 (Q51,V42) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 02:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
After 4.5 months of preparation I've took my first full-time GMAT preparation test.
I woke up at 5:00 a.m. (It is impossible for me to have 3 hours for test during a day - my little son does not give me such opportunity :) ), took 10 min to wash my face and to drink a cup of coffee....

Q51. After 15 questions I had about 10-15 min in reserve (I spent about 1 min per question). Therefore, I easily went trough quant section, but made 2 silly mistakes. The result did not surprise me, because I have a strong math background

V33. I totally lose concentration for the fist part of the section. A few RC texts in social science bowled me over (I got all questions of one of the RC wrong). I spent excess 15 min for fist 20 questions and had to move more quickly to avoid penalties. That led me to mistakes, especially in SC. After revision of my mistakes I found many of them easy ones. Therefore, I think the loss of concentration was the most important factor that pushed my score down.

Actually, It is a huge achievement for me in verbal section (4 month ago I saw CNN as alien broadcasting from Mars and understood only words, such as "Bush", "Hillary" and "Iraq" :) ).
Now I feel able to boost my verbal score by improving concentration.
Do you have any ideas?

Thank all in advance

NEW! GMAT ToolKit 2 (iOS) / GMAT ToolKit (Android) - The must have GMAT prep app | PrepGame

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 48

Kudos [?]: 452 [2] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fist GMATPrep: 700 (Q51,V33). Need advice [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 21:07
This post received
KUDOS
walker wrote:
I'm glad that my software helped somebody! :) MGMAT SC review is really good stuff. Now, I do ~75-80% SC, ~80-90%CR, ~80-90% RC. But deconcentration on RC killed my score :( Maybe you have any suggestions? :help2

give a ring to rhym at Uni of Cgicago, GBS.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 141 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fist GMATPrep: 700 (Q51,V33). Need advice [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 05:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Walker, 51 in Q was a given for you. 1 minute a question on quant, I know I won't come anywhere close to that, (46 in M) but what is your strategy? Do you immediately think of the best approach? Didn't think 1 min a Q is possible, but if it is I need to get somewhere close to that :)

In Verbal, concentration is key and if you are running against the clock in verbal you will get murdered because you will gloss over things. As I stated before in my debrief I thought CR and RC were my strong points going into the test, so I focused heavily on SC, but I really feel it is the CR and RC is what did me in. I need to invest in that much time into CR and RC. I think practicing LSAT questions under GMAT timed conditions is the way to go. That will be my approach from now on. It is commendable though coming from a non english background to accomplish what you did.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fist GMATPrep: 700 (Q51,V33). Need advice [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS
51 in quant is amazing!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 1036 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fist GMATPrep: 700 (Q51,V33). Need advice [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
Walker,

I always assumed that the guy who wrote the 1000 SC and CR applications would be a Verbal guru :?

It is those 2 applications that are helping me personally improve on my V score.....As for RC, be careful which passages you choose. Kaplan or MGMAT can do you a big disservice on RC - their passages are just too confusing and some answer choices too close to call. I'd stick with GMATPrep and OG for RC.

Chinese Democracy is misunderstood...at your nearest BestBuy.

Best AWA guide here: how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 171 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fist GMATPrep: 700 (Q51,V33). Need advice [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
walker wrote:
You are right. I guess I understand now how "recognize patterns" is important. If you get patterns, you will find fast solution

There is also an idea that I forgot to post:

1. PS&DS if I find the problem that I cannot solve in 2min, I try find as many ways to solve it as possible. Sometimes I spent a few hours to do so.

that is insane. :shock:

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fist GMATPrep: 700 (Q51,V33). Need advice [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 05:45
This post received
KUDOS
walker wrote:
1. DS questions were the main source of additional time for me.

"One man's strength is another's weakness", the quote sure resonates well here! I am struggling with DS and I lose time here!

walker wrote:
Sometimes answers popped up in my mind just after I had read question. I think It is because I recognized some typical patterns:
E: - two very complex or similar conditions. I just constructed two examples to support my choice. A or B: - one condition is simple, like a=3 that is obviously insufficient but help GMAT to misdirect you to C, and other condition is seems to be insufficient but does virtually sufficient. I think the most useful (and fast) technique is construction of examples.

I try and pick numbers but that doesn't seem to work well as I spend too much time picking integers, consequtive numbers etc. Any tips there? How many cases should one try? What do you mean by construction of examples?

Believe in yourself.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Stern, Haas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fist GMATPrep: 700 (Q51,V33). Need advice [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 06:28
This post received
KUDOS
where are you from, walker?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 83 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fist GMATPrep: 700 (Q51,V33). Need advice [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
omg, i need to stop using the 1000sc software, I can't believe walker only made a 33. :lol: jk

seriously man, your software has helped me improve my verbal score dramatically. i use it to practice whenever i have spare time. but I think the other one has helped me the most is MGMAT SC review. I used to get about 40-50% of sc problems right, after using the book, my rate improved to about 80-90% :)

Thanks walker for the 1000sc, hope you do well!
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1574 [1] , given: 354

Re: GMATPrep1: 700 (Q51,V33). ...2nd GMATPrep1: 770 (Q51,V42) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2008, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
chineseburned wrote:
Walker, please explain how to get Q 51? I always get 50 no matter how focused I am. I've only gotten 51 on other providers' tests but those are not accurate.

What are your common mistakes?

I had and still have two type of mistakes:

1. Silly mistakes. Commonly, I missed something or GMAT caught me.
Treatment:
1.1. slowly read a question twice or three times in order to find "red flag": "integer", "non-zero", "odd", "even", "consecutive", "distinct", "different", "prime", "consecutive even".
1.2. try to find and understand a trap/ traps.
1.3. recognize a pattern (useful in DS).
1.4. read the question again before picking an answer.
1.5. find a solution using other approach.

2. Misunderstanding. As a non-native speaker, I sometimes cannot correctly understand/translate some questions.
Treatment:
2.1 No specific recipe beside hard work in Verbal part of GMAT and boosting vocabulary.
2.2 Sometimes CR-skills help.

NEW! GMAT ToolKit 2 (iOS) / GMAT ToolKit (Android) - The must have GMAT prep app | PrepGame

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Re: GMATPrep1: 700 (Q51,V33). ...2nd GMATPrep1: 770 (Q51,V42) [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 20:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
barfer wrote:
Hi Walker,

3 days ago in the evening I tried to pass gmatprep#1 and got only 640 Q50V26. In the end I wanted to drop to the flour cause I felt so tired. Next morning I freshed by a deep sleep I tried again. Result's 750 Q50V42. To be frank even after reinstallation I met many Q-questions similar (but mostly in the middle of Q-part) to those of my first attempts but another story about a verbal part is.

So I can say in conclusion that we should consider to improve our skills being fresh. That's why I take a vacation for 7 days to spend for verbal. My X-day is 21th Apr 2008. Honestly... I do dislike this test maybe because I don't like any tests :wink: I prefer see the eyes of my judge.

Walker, when are you gonna meet VUE the next time?

:-D :-D :-D two minutes difference !!!

Verbal=concentration (fresh mind)! Totally agree with you!
Good luck with your X-Day! My X-Day is 28 May.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 1036 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep1: 700 (Q51,V33). ...2nd GMATPrep1: 770 (Q51,V42) [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 12:26
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks people. I've already scheduled Round 2, so I'll have to take it. However, since I don't feel very confident about it and I only have a couple of weeks left, I won't be sending scores this time. That way if I don't score 750+ I'll never send them and if I never re-take, nobody will know about my 2nd attempt. The schools of interest already have my 730 score (coupled with a 6.0 AWA). BTW, this time I am not even practicing AWA, so I may blew it as it's been a while since I wrote an essay. First time I was so worried, I ended up spending 1/5 of my prep time reading and writing essays. That hurt my preparation for the Verbal in particular. In theory I should be better prepared for Round 2 and score higher, but since I have to be almost flawless to make the needed improvement, there's a lot of pressure and the smallest thing that goes wrong on test day may very well throw me off and ruin everything. It's an extremely fragile situation. :cry:

Chinese Democracy is misunderstood...at your nearest BestBuy.

Best AWA guide here: how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [1] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep1: 700 (Q51,V33). ...2nd GMATPrep1: 770 (Q51,V42) [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 22:17
This post received
KUDOS
Its incredible how you keep peeling of 51 after 51. I want to get to that level from my current level of 48/49. Any tips walker ?

ps. RC will be a breeze - just practice on some tough passages.... I am sure you'll get 720+ good luck.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Re: GMATPrep1: 700 (Q51,V33). ...2nd GMATPrep1: 770 (Q51,V42) [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 16:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bsd_lover wrote:
Walker I am interested in this as well :) I'll join you two in this DS pattern recognition exercise.

Ok. Just send me interesting DS.

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 208 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMATPrep1: 700 (Q51,V33). ...2nd GMATPrep1: 770 (Q51,V42) [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 23:50
This post received
KUDOS
walker wrote:
sondenso wrote:
Thank you, I like the blue color of your nickname! :lol:

Hm...green indeed... :wink:

Woow, silly mistake! I want to kill silly mistakes! :oops: :oops: :oops:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago R2
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMATPrep1: 700 (Q51,V33). ...2nd GMATPrep1: 770 (Q51,V42) [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2008, 03:44
This post received
KUDOS
People, I have a huge problem. On Sunday I took a gmatprep#2 first time with the awful result 580 Q49V21. The main problem - I can't switch my brain from math to verbal at once. 1st verbal question took more 5 min :x Only by 20th question I got my rythm and my answers for last 10 questions were just clicking fast. Any suggestion?
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1574 [0], given: 354

Re: Fist GMATPrep: 700 (Q51,V33). Need advice [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 08:43
Expert's post
terp26 wrote:
Hey Walker, 51 in Q was a given for you. 1 minute a question on quant, I know I won't come anywhere close to that, (46 in M) but what is your strategy? Do you immediately think of the best approach? Didn't think 1 min a Q is possible, but if it is I need to get somewhere close to that :)

Some of the features that I find useful:

1. DS questions were the main source of additional time for me. Sometimes answers popped up in my mind just after I had read question. I think It is because I recognized some typical patterns:

E: - two very complex or similar conditions. I just constructed two examples to support my choice.

A or B: - one condition is simple, like a=3 that is obviously insufficient but help GMAT to misdirect you to C, and other condition is seems to be insufficient but does virtually sufficient.

I think the most useful (and fast) technique is construction of examples.

2. I try always read the question slowly and two or three times, looking for red flags, such as "positive integers", "non-zero", "integers", "prime", "odd", "consecutive even integers", "unequal", "distinct" and so on. They restrict possible set of answers and almost always dramatically influence on right answer (I lose one such trap on my GMATPrep).

3. In geometry I often construct figures in my mind from sticks and hinges and change shape of figures in arbitrary way to find solution.

terp26 wrote:
In Verbal, concentration is key and if you are running against the clock in verbal you will get murdered because you will gloss over things. As I stated before in my debrief I thought CR and RC were my strong points going into the test, so I focused heavily on SC, but I really feel it is the CR and RC is what did me in. I need to invest in that much time into CR and RC. I think practicing LSAT questions under GMAT timed conditions is the way to go. That will be my approach from now on. It is commendable though coming from a non english background to accomplish what you did.

Thanks, Terp26
It seems that you and me are in the same boat. Maybe It would be useful to try CR and RC under noisy condition, for example use iPod to listen podcasts? Did you try to do so?

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fist GMATPrep: 700 (Q51,V33). Need advice [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 10:05
Thanks , those are some solid suggestions. I have thought about some but have not truly applied them on a consistent basis. You are right though. You have to think about how the GMAT will trick you. Also when they mention a restricting option, that is essential to the answer. They never give extraneous information. Always understand how that restricting option defines the answer.

Concerning geometry, that does seem like a great approach. It is very abstract and definitely will try and apply that method.

I think what I may do is do a set of DS questions with a strict 1 minute time limit for each and see how I do. Because with PS, I feel that if you understand all the concepts, you can always usually figure out the answer, but it may take 3 minutes or so, for someone like me. If I hit the 1 min DS mark, then that will do it.

As for Verbal, I have not tried with background noise but I think it may be a good idea to help improve focus. As you do for DS, you also need to recognize CR and RC patterns.

Now I can't vouch for this ,but something to look for as you are doing questions to see whether you see similiar patterns.

CR I have noticed that If true questions usually appear out of scope at first glance but are not and answers that appear too close to the statement are usually wrong. The opposite is true for assumption questions. In CR you have to constantly ask yourself questions based on the statement and answer choices. You have to go through each choice and break the logic, doing so by posing hypothetical questions.

RC , if you dont understand the passage , you are going to get at least half the Q wrong. RC is where you can really kill your time. You read a passage and you still spend 2 min a question, that means you didnt understand it and you will be playing catch up, and in verbal catch up is really hard to do. So back to that approach, hardest RC passages you can find, under a strict time limit, with background noise. I think I am going to start doing that. For me there is no excuse to get any RC question wrong. The answers are all there in the passage.

Another problem I have with RC is the meaning of words. I guess that can't really be helped at this stage. I am a native speaker but they can throw in hard words and you have to just hopefully be able to eliminate other choices.
CEO
CEO

Re: Fist GMATPrep: 700 (Q51,V33). Need advice [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 10:56
Expert's post
You are right. I guess I understand now how "recognize patterns" is important. If you get patterns, you will find fast solution

1. PS&DS if I find the problem that I cannot solve in 2min, I try find as many ways to solve it as possible. Sometimes I spent a few hours to do so.

CEO
CEO

Re: Fist GMATPrep: 700 (Q51,V33). Need advice [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 16:57
Expert's post
chineseburned wrote:
Walker,

I always assumed that the guy who wrote the 1000 SC and CR applications would be a Verbal guru :?

It is just a peculiar way to study :)

chineseburned wrote:
It is those 2 applications that are helping me personally improve on my V score.....As for RC, be careful which passages you choose. Kaplan or MGMAT can do you a big disservice on RC - their passages are just too confusing and some answer choices too close to call. I'd stick with GMATPrep and OG for RC.

Thanks. You confirm my fear for validity of the non-OG texts.

bmwhype2 wrote:
walker wrote:

that is insane. :shock:

When I started my study I struggled with probability-permutation problems. I could not solved many of them under 2 mins. The tactic really helped me. Now, as you can see from my posts for such problems, I feel very convinced.

Re: Fist GMATPrep: 700 (Q51,V33). Need advice   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2008, 16:57