Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT retake : bombed the verbal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
GMAT retake : bombed the verbal [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2011, 08:42
Took my gmat the second time yesterday after 2 months of intense practice. in my sample tests - Manhattan GMAT and PowerPrep i was consistently hitting 700-750.

The highest i hit in verbal was 45 and the lowest was 38.

Yesterday i felt my quant go very well. I took a break after quant, came back and told myself i can do this. Everything seemed to go well. i didnt get the feeling that i was not doing the test well.

I had 4 RC, i know i got 2 of them almost completely right- or so it seemed. One was in the last 10 questions so it could have gone either way. When i submitted my score i was agahst to see 31 , 58 percentile on verbal. quant was 48 for a total of 650. 10 less than last time. I couldnt believe my eyes.

My MGMAT verbal raw scores in the order i took the tests (44, 37,38,40,43,45) Powerprep (38,39)

In my last powerprep i had 6 mistakes and yet only 39. All in all this has been the most disappointing day in my life.
I have applied to R4 at Haas and was hoping to report stellar scores.

A third retake doesnt sound too promising. What do you think i should do now? I would like to hear your suggestions.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT retake : bombed the verbal [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2011, 09:36
I'm sorry to hear about the drop in your verbal score man!
About the retake - I think you should go for it. But before you start preparing for your next attempt, take a few days off to refresh your mind buddy.

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT retake : bombed the verbal [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2011, 19:19
mbafall2011 wrote:
Took my gmat the second time yesterday after 2 months of intense practice. in my sample tests - Manhattan GMAT and PowerPrep i was consistently hitting 700-750.

The highest i hit in verbal was 45 and the lowest was 38.

Yesterday i felt my quant go very well. I took a break after quant, came back and told myself i can do this. Everything seemed to go well. i didnt get the feeling that i was not doing the test well.

I had 4 RC, i know i got 2 of them almost completely right- or so it seemed. One was in the last 10 questions so it could have gone either way. When i submitted my score i was agahst to see 31 , 58 percentile on verbal. quant was 48 for a total of 650. 10 less than last time. I couldnt believe my eyes.

My MGMAT verbal raw scores in the order i took the tests (44, 37,38,40,43,45) Powerprep (38,39)

In my last powerprep i had 6 mistakes and yet only 39. All in all this has been the most disappointing day in my life.
I have applied to R4 at Haas and was hoping to report stellar scores.

A third retake doesnt sound too promising. What do you think i should do now? I would like to hear your suggestions.

Sorry to hear about verbal. I am sure you just had an off day.

What materials did you use for the quant section? Your score seems solid there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT retake : bombed the verbal [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 08:44
Im so confused! Everything seems like a bad dream, i cant fathom how i can fall from 45-44 raw score range to 31. And its not like i felt like i was doing bad.

There are a couple of things i did in my preparation this time around:

I used the Kaplan 800 book which is good for some areas. Also, i paid attention to the advanced sections in MGMAT series. I did about 8 gmat challenge tests and i usually scored around 29-32 out of 37.

Is there any other free test i can take now to get an accurate estimate of my true potential? I have exhausted all 6 Manhattan GMAT questions and powerprep exams.

I guess i could reset my powerprep and do it again but id prefer some fresh material. Anyway, i dont want to make any irrational decisions on the retake. I thought ill let a week pass and then regroup and re-evaluate.

This seems like the worst phase of my life. Thanks to this club i can atleast vent my ramblings somewhere.
Im so sick of hearing "it is just a test". Is it really?
Re: GMAT retake : bombed the verbal   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2011, 08:44