Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:55

Going on right now!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Go

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
WE: Investment Banking (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Go [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 22:42
I have recently given GMAT, scored only 510 with Quant 42 and Verbal 19. It was real shock for me. My avg score in prep is around 650-680 with Quant 47 and verbal 30-36. What is your advice, shall i give Gmat again, meanwhile can you tell how to increase my Quant score.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 6

Re: Go [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 09:22
Expert's post
Manpreet01,

Besides what the numerical score says (seems like a huge drop in Verbal in comparison to what you say you normally get), how did you feel?

Did you feel as comfortable as you normally do? Or do you think the exam anxieties got to you? Did you finish the verbal portion--or did you have to rush and randomly guess?

You shouldn't be asking about how to increase your quant score----rather, the focus needs to be on your verbal. Q42 an V19 is too much of an imbalance. Adcom at any school wouldn't particularly like that.

It's also important to do your practice exams in as realistic of a setting as possible. For example, if your real exam is in the morning--make sure you do a practice exam beginning early in the morning to get yourself in the same psychological state. If you work during the weekdays, then budget time on the weekends to do those practice exams.

I'd also recommend reading this article on psychology and timing strategies: http://www.gmatpill.com/about/studying- ... trategies/

Hope that helps!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
WE: Investment Banking (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Go [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 10:19
Thanks for your immediate reply.

My verbal usually complete before time. Time issues was not there. But on exam day I was short of time last 11 questions I marked them in less than 2 minutes. I was preparing from May onwards, now feel totally exahusted.

Even few days back I gave Kaplan Premier scored 640 quant 42 and verbal 34. What you suggest shall I give another shot or give GMAT next year.

One mistake I amde was that I was giving Test some where around 4pm and my real GMAT was at 9am, is this thing affect.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 6

Re: Go [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 10:48
Expert's post
Manpreet01 wrote:
Thanks for your immediate reply.

My verbal usually complete before time. Time issues was not there. But on exam day I was short of time last 11 questions I marked them in less than 2 minutes. I was preparing from May onwards, now feel totally exahusted.

Even few days back I gave Kaplan Premier scored 640 quant 42 and verbal 34. What you suggest shall I give another shot or give GMAT next year.

One mistake I amde was that I was giving Test some where around 4pm and my real GMAT was at 9am, is this thing affect.

Yes, I think in your situation it's worth retaking.

And yes, doing practice exams at 4pm when the real thing is at 9am---not such a realistic way to study, right? You want to mimick the actual testing conditions as much as possible.

In fact, on practice tests, you can even try to train with 1 minute of less time. Just to generate more time urgency and so how you do. Train under pressure and on the actual exam when you have 1 extra minute, you'll be less panicked.

Hope that helps.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Go   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2011, 10:48