Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Goal Essays is separated into 3 question, how tackle this ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Melbourne Business School
WE 1: 18 months
WE 2: 9 months
WE 3: more than 5 years
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Goal Essays is separated into 3 question, how tackle this ? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 21:20
Dear Mr. Bodine,

Hi, I'm Benaiah from Indonesia. I have read part of your "Great Application Essays Book"
(still in progress finishing it). However, I have finished the 2nd Chapter: the goals essay.

Regards to this topics, I need some advices to tackle the Melbourne Business School (MBS) personal statement.

In their essay questions, they separate the goal essay into 3 questions. (I attached the questions).
1. Long term career goals.
2. My unique background and experience that I would bring to my classmate
3. Gaps in my knowledge and skills so you need MBS's MBA program to help you.

Each of these questions has maximum of words = 300

Based on this questions and your advice in the book, I planned to answer these questions with following outline:
Question 1:
- Long term goals
- Middle term
- Personal values

Question 2:
- background-country and culture, college achievements
- career progress, and key achievements

Question 3:
- Why MBA
- Why Now
- Why Our School

Please advice me whether this structure is well organized.

The other question is because this is 3 different questions, then where should I put the introduction and conclusion (as you mentioned in your book)? Can I put the Introduction in the long term goals question, and the conclusion in the 3rd question? Please advice.

Thank you for your advice.

Regards,
Ben.
Attachments

File comment: MBS Personal Statement Question
Personal Statement questions.doc [23.5 KiB]
Downloaded 45 times

To download please login or register as a user

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Goal Essays is separated into 3 question, how tackle this ? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 21:49
Ben,

Goal essay, part 1: If you have space to discuss your personal values (almost all of the 300 words should focus on just describing your goals) then you state your values insofar as your career goals reflect those values. Then you could discuss your long-term goals first, followed by explaining how your short/medium-term goals will act as stepping stones to your long-term goals. Your brief opening sentences about your values could also serve as the introduction to the essay as a whole.

Goals essay, part 2: I would leave the college experiences out of this section. Focus on your (a) personal/cultural background (maybe 200 words) and your (b) career progress--using chronological order to structure this essay. Don't forget to mention briefly how you think (a) and (b) will enhance your classmates' experience (i.e., state how they give you a distinctive perspective).

Goals essay, part 3: First, state what skills you'll need in your post-MBA career your career thus far has already given you (this can be 1-2 sentences). Then state what skills you'll need for your post-MBA goals that you still lack (1-2 sentences). Then spend the remaining 90% of this section on explaining in detail how MBS gives you these skills. (Don't worry about the Why Now part). You can add one general, forward-looking sentence at the end of the essay that refers perhaps to the personal values you mentioned in the introduction and refers to MBS -- this is your conclusion.

Feel free to email me at pbodine@accepted.com.
--Paul

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter