Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

going for 4th gmat .. need your advices

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

going for 4th gmat .. need your advices [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2004, 10:19
I've recently discovered the club.. and more I read, better I notice what I missed so far.. here's my story:

gmat 1 (Mar 3, 2004): 620 Q 48, V 27 (3 days of study - PR)

gmat 2 (Apr 3, 2004): 540 Q 47, V 24 (still lazy but finished PR tests)

gmat 3 (Nov 15, 2004): 670 Q 47, V 34 (worked for a month - finished kaplan verbal, DS, PS and SC section of OG.. mainly verbal section improved comparing with previous gmat)

gmat 4 (Dec 3, 2004): Need 7**

I think my main weakness is SC and me.. I get really worried at the beginning of the exam.. for ex. in gmat 3, I got a weird geometry DS question at the beginning od the exam (#2) and I spent 5-7 minutes on it.. not even sure if I got it correct at the end but I panicked afterwards.. I'm usually calmer in verbal (even though it's not my strength) most probably because I get used to exam atmosphere..

I really need your advices.. please let me know what I can do to improve my score..

thanks in advance!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2004, 08:54
I'm in a similar boat!

First time(early October), tried to allocate 2-4 hours per week to study, about 3 weeks of studying, got 690(don't remember the break down).

My prof and recommender is the head of the department at a top Ier school, and basically says that a strong GMAT score(his number was >760) would give me a "good" chance at his PhD program. But of course, if I could walk on water, then there is a "good" chance that I am a supernatural being. (yes, awkward phrasing, there are better options for the sentence, sorry been studying too much for the sentence correction - my weakest point).

My strategy has been to study almost every material I can get my hands on - princeton review, kaplan 800, GMAC 3 practice exams, etc.... All the material have a slightly different focus, and the actual GMAT(and to some extent GRE, SAT, etc...) always seems to have some minor material that catches me by surprise. I generally do pretty well in the math sections(800s on GRE, SATs, yada yada), but last time, there was a problem that took me some 10-15 minutes, which I eventually gave up on and selected something to go on.

My exam is on saturday of thanksgiving, and I'm taking the whole week off to study, relax, focus, and recooperate. I find that rest and focus has the largest impact on my performance on ETS tests.

Anyhow, Good luck!

(I've taken, in chronological order, 9 SAT 1, 3 SAT II, 3 GRE, and 1 GMAT. ETS is making a small fortune from me).
  [#permalink] 19 Nov 2004, 08:54