Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Going for Round 3....Experiment....UPDATED

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1188 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Going for Round 3....Experiment....UPDATED [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 19:13
This post received
KUDOS
Ok, I know....another top-notch thread by me :oops:

But the time has almost arrived for my Round3 and this time I need some support to get myself motivated for the game.

What happened the first two times on my GMAT I pretty much explained here:
8-t62840

Why this time is an experiment?
Because, this time I didn't study much, just stayed fresh by re-taking a CAT on weekends for 4 weeks and browsing the forum occasionally.
Because, I think my potential schools of interest already have my first 730 and I won't be sending scores this time around.
Because, I want to see how much a "good" test day (if I have it) can outweigh a "bad" test day (which I did have).
Because, Walker suggested I try one more time without much pressure and studying.
Finally, because taking the GMAT is fun that I'll probably miss for the rest of my life ..... :-D

So, I'm going for it one final time, hopefully without being pressured to do well this time.
But I need some support from fellow gmatters..... 8-)

P.S.
What are the odds of getting another 730? Seriously, I almost cried the 2 times I got this score but if it happens again, I'll LMAO...... :)

"It's all a gamble when it's just a game..."

Chinese Democracy is misunderstood...at your nearest BestBuy.

Best AWA guide here: how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Last edited by chineseburned on 31 May 2008, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 70 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 19:44
This post received
KUDOS
Good Luck. I am going to take my 5th GMAT this summer, so I am no better than you.
The first time, I underestimated the test. I took it without any preparation. My second GMAT I experienced power outage in the middle of my exam resulting in the cancellation of my score. The third time, I passed out at near the end of the exam and taken to the hospital my ambulance, so another cancellation. The fourth time, luckly nothing unusual happened. But I scored 100 points lower than my practice tests. My practice test scores are generally around 760s. Now, I am trying for my 5th time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1188 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 19:59
eileen1017 wrote:
Good Luck. I am going to take my 5th GMAT this summer, so I am no better than you.
The first time, I underestimated the test. I took it without any preparation. My second GMAT I experienced power outage in the middle of my exam resulting in the cancellation of my score. The third time, I passed out at near the end of the exam and taken to the hospital my ambulance, so another cancellation. The fourth time, luckly nothing unusual happened. But I scored 100 points lower than my practice tests. My practice test scores are generally around 760s. Now, I am trying for my 5th time.

Thanks.
You passed out during exam? This is really bad. So, the GMAT can be that dangerous? :shock:
Hope everything goes smoothly for you next time. You too need some support/prayers.... :-D

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 20:18
This post received
KUDOS
Chineseburned,

We are all with you... Hope you come out of the test center with flying colors.

From my experience, I can recollect that Quant feels harder (even for experts). However, if you cant handle a Q within say 2 min, start viewing it from different angles...may be there is some other dumb way that experts like us dont even think of, but that could be useful to solve it (simple techniques: number plugging, backsolving, give a quick look at Kaplan Quant techniques)... If things are still unclear, screw it...based on the info given, take the best guess (sometimes you can approximate to nearest value, categorize answers as possible/impossible, increasing/decreasing as you do when you dont have a pen/calculator at your disposal).

Stay cool and let whatever may...Think that you really did the question well and move on...Always make sure you have enough time to complete all questions as you dont know how the experimental questions are distributed ...it could be that the last 10 are not experiemental and you dont want to miss guess them randomly....

I took a Gprep today coming back to GMAT preparation after 1 month of doing application crap...I was hardly interested...I reinstalled it so I saw a lot of new questions. First one took 10 min and still I couldnt solve it...I thought screw it, and cancelled the test. Had to force myself to return to the test and give it my best shot. It restarted the test exactly where I left, 10 min gone and 1 Q (not yet done). I tried the Q 1 again, used different technique, solved it and moved on. Managed to complete the test by guessing last three in 10 sec. I scored a 51 with just last three wrong (I got the first one right, Yay!). That was not as bad as I guessed. I thought based on my fatigue/mood, I screwed the whole test. But actually I performed well except the first one (which took more time) and the last three (for which I didnt have time).

Its a big mind game. Dont guage the Quant score just by your experience, number of guesses. The software will anyway do that for you. So just leave that 'gauging your Quant' part and just move on to the Verbal with the feeling that you are doing great!

I am no verbal expert, so I will leave it for the other clubbers....

Chineseburned, If you truely want it, you can get it.

Last edited by policy on 26 May 2008, 21:14, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1683 [1] , given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 20:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
If you feel that you have to try, do so! Otherwise, you will regret latter that you wanted but did not tried. So, GOOD LUCK!
I have a proverb in my country: who do not risk, do not drink champagne!

1. have positive mood
2. Regardless to your score, GMAT is not the most pivotal thing in our life.
3. And again, GOOD LUCK!

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 14

Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 20:41
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck dude. Just go in there and have a chill attitude, and focus when the test begins. I think it's all about the mindset. I took a prac MGMAT CAT last week (my 2nd one) and got a 640... was a bit bummed out so I walked into the test last Saturday fully expecting to cancel at the end. When prompted on whether I wanted to keep the score, I said to myself, "What the heck!" and I closed my eyes and clicked 'continue'. Lo-and-behold, I scored a 770! So, I guess the moral is, anything can happen on test day -- just don't get nervous and calm down. By the way, I am Chinese too, if that helps in any way. LOL
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)

Kudos [?]: 64 [1] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 22:52
This post received
KUDOS
Best of luck to you, CB. 3rd time was the charm for me and hopefully it will be for you too. Looking forward to your success story soon!

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 23:32
This post received
KUDOS
Go for it man, we are all with you.

I'm in the same boat, scoring 720 on my last attempt but I'm going to take it again this summer. I am doing some lightweight study and have my focus directed to TOEFL, so GMAT would not put so much pressure on me as in previous attempts.

Dude, I like your sentence 'taking the GMAT is fun that I'll probably miss for the rest of my life'. Ha ha ha ha ha this is one of the best statements I've ever seen on this forum. You have +1 from me.

Good luck.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 00:58
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Chineseburned, all the best! Your previous score was great, I'm sure even this one will dazzle!!
Cheers
Dushyant
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 08:21
Thanks alot guys! +1 to each of you :-D
I'll definitely be re-reading this and the other thread the hours before the exam to psych myself up mentally. I agree with policy that once you have the foundations the rest of it is a mind game.
And Walker, you are a mentor! Not just for the GMAT but for life in general..... :-D

No, I ain't chinese....I'm just burned with chinese democracy anticipation...hopefully this is finally the year.. :P

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 12:46
Good luck, chineseburned. You'll destroy the GMAT this time.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 13:42
CB 3rd time lucky for you my friend. The very best of luck.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 16:46
chineseburned wrote:
No, I ain't chinese....

What, you mean all this time I have been following your wise words and you are not even chinese? Don't tell me your last name is Changstein.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 16:55
All the best CB.

Go for a 780 :) All the best...

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 17:57
CB, are you for real? You're a god of Quant on this board!! I see......770 in your future!!!! You can do it man!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 19:11
gmatnub wrote:
chineseburned wrote:
No, I ain't chinese....

What, you mean all this time I have been following your wise words and you are not even chinese? Don't tell me your last name is Changstein.

Huh? Wise words? :-D
Most people think I am an idiot for retaking the GMAT with a 730. Even more so when it happened twice :oops:

Doesn't almost every post of mine reek of imaturity? I mean, look at this thread. Isn't it like the most ridiculous and contradictory and crazy thing ever? First, a serious endevour as the GMAT again, then it's an experiment, so don't really care, but then need support regardless, and finally need even God... :shock:

Nway, I hope this is at least somewhat entertaining....and maybe helpful for some.....

And no, I ain't no Quant God. I'll be happy with Q50 which is what I got on almost all GMATPreps until I started seeing too many repeats.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 21:38
chineseburned wrote:
gmatnub wrote:
chineseburned wrote:
No, I ain't chinese....

Huh? Wise words? :-D
Most people think I am an idiot for retaking the GMAT with a 730. Even more so when it happened twice :oops:

Doesn't almost every post of mine reek of imaturity? I mean, look at this thread. Isn't it like the most ridiculous and contradictory and crazy thing ever? First, a serious endevour as the GMAT again, then it's an experiment, so don't really care, but then need support regardless, and finally need even God... :shock:

Nway, I hope this is at least somewhat entertaining....and maybe helpful for some.....

And no, I ain't no Quant God. I'll be happy with Q50 which is what I got on almost all GMATPreps until I started seeing too many repeats.

Just trying to ligthen the mood by introducing a seinfeld reference. I was not serious. If you caught it, you would had chuckled at the parallel.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 07:02
How you know I didn't chuckle? :P
That still doesn't mean I am not an idiot.... :lol:

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1683 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 07:46
Expert's post
Fresh experience: first question was really easy one, something like that:

What is \frac{5^{18}-5^8}{5^9-5^4}

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 07:52
walker wrote:
Fresh experience: first question was really easy one, something like that:

What is \frac{5^{18}-5^8}{5^9-5^4}

Walker, So how much did you crack buddy?
Re: Going for Round 3....Experiment....Need some support/prayers   [#permalink] 28 May 2008, 07:52