Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 07:56

STARTING SHORTLY:

Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Going to B-School and taking spouse with me

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Going to B-School and taking spouse with me [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2005, 06:34
Hello, guys!

Need your advise on a very special private topic.

I`m admitted to Top-10 School and definetely going to enroll next year. My wife is going with me and face a problem to find an activity for her in States. We have neither relatives no friends in USA, that is why I think of it as a hard problem.

Well, I will be busy with my study, but what`s she gonna do? I surfed over forums to find ultimate solution, but it looks that it doesnt exist. Some guys say, their wifes just had fun, enjoying free time - that is not for my wife. Another mention various language courses and educational problems - well, this is something to think about...

Actually, I think that the best activity for my wife during this time is maternity. Of course, it is a crusial thing and very important desicion, I will think zillion times before making it. I just wanna ask your opinion regarding 2 aspects:

a) Quality of medical service, that "ultraelite" schools provide and that is covered my medical insurance.
b) Is it "theoretically" possible to study at the B-School and take care of pregnant wife and newborn child a the same time? Or I will have to take care of my study significantly less?

Please, if you can, illustrate your answer with real examples from your MBA experience.

Thank you in advance
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2005, 12:58
First, congratulations on your acceptance. Second, going to b-school is a commitment that both you and your partner make. You are smart to consider potential issues that could arise in her case. Indeed, many spouses have a difficult time for the reasons that you hinted at. Yes, schools do a good job supporing the "spouse club" and a number of spouses get heavily involved in that. Many, however think it's basically a nursery school on steriods (something to keep the spouse occupied and pass the time).

I'm personally of the opinion that it is an excellent time for materinity for many (if you are so inclined). A large number of my classmates decided to have a child during b-school. Any time you decide to have a child, it will require a great deal of engagement. With that said, you would actually have the ability to see your pregnant wife and eventually your child. And healthcare is decent -- certainly nothing to be concerned about. You will probably not be able to be involved in as many activities, but that goes without saying any time you make a decision to get pregnant.

Bottom line, is many of my classmates did it without many problems - in fact it was big joke we had and definitely an option you should consider.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 02:28
Dear truthringer, thanks for your reasoned opinion. Your arguments seem really logical foк me and I really agree with them. If you dont mind, I`d like to ask couple of further questions

a) What housing option is preferrable in that regard? Is on-campus living comfortable enough for the pregnant woman? Or I should consider off-campus housing as the only really suitable option for the pair with newborn child?

b) What do you think, basing on your experience - will pregnancy and paternity really hurt my school results and advancement? I mean, what I would actually like is "to sit on 2 chairs" - graduate from B-school with good results and provide enough support and care to my wife. So, If I will just have to miss some extracurricular activity - it`s OK, but I defenitely dont wanna fail on exams.

By the way, does the school administration provide some kind of extra support for the students, who got newborns? For instance, do they take such a things as an excuse if you, for example, failed to do something in time? Or they do not take it into consideration at all?

Thanks again for your reply, I really appreciate your help