Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 22:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Going to Retake GMAT, need improvement in Quant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Going to Retake GMAT, need improvement in Quant [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
Scored a 39 (56%tile) in Quant on yesterday's GMAT, 42 (96%tile) in Verbal (680 total). I can likely replicate the Verbal result, but want to increase the quant as much as possible. My goal school is Northwestern, and a score above 700.

The materials I have used in prior prep were mostly Kaplan, and OG. I struggle more with some of the fundamental quant concepts around algebraic manipulation, and number properties, as opposed to applied math questions, like rates, percents, or proportions.

What prep provider, in your experience, provides the most reliable and highest quality material in these quant categories?

Also, when I get my official results, will it include the questions and answers, or just a score report? Does anyone know if I can get a list of the questions I got right and wrong?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 169 [2] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going to Retake GMAT, need improvement in Quant [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
Hi ManBehindTheCurtain,

I wanted to reply earlier, but found it hard to come up with a meaningful reply, one that could help you. Now I think I have. So hopefully you hear me out.

You say you have got a weakness with quant. Normally I would have suggested difficult problems like the ones on MGMAT and the challenges (now known as tests) on gmatclub. But then I thought, if you yourself think that you have weaknesses in certain building blocks of quant, then I think you need to work on those before you will benefit from harder problems.

So here is what I suggest, spend a weekend (say this saturday) "collecting" as many "algebraic manipulation, and number properties" problems you can find. Do not solve any for now. Go back to the sources you have been using, OG, Kaplan (which i personally don't think is too hot), GMATPrep, PowerPrep, etc to get your list. Then categorise these into sub categories. Then i say takle these sub categories individually. Spend a couple of weeks getting these foundations right. Then do a GMATPrep, using that to highlight what you have improved on what still needs work. The last two weeks of the following month, step up a notch. Get to the harder problems. Use the forum. 3-4 days before the GMAT, do another GMATPrep, an see how you go.

I might be a good idea to do about 4-5 hours a week of verbal too, since the last thing you want is a drop in that.

Also before I finish off, I think you should use the forums as much as you can. Quant gods (such as Walker, Eschn3am, Martikus and many others) are the heartbeat of the forum and people like you and I need to leech as much knowlege off them as we can. At first when someone posts a message, I only looked at the answer and wandered off to another thread, but now I take the extra two minutes to look at how each poster solved the problem. I have found some nifty little tricks to solving some types of questions.

Do not aim to do 10000 quant questions this coming month. But make sure every question that you do (even if u get it right), you get to the bottom off.

hope that helps,

p.s (i don't think it was a good idea putting a "live" gmat question on your other thread, i'd edit that post if I were you.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going to Retake GMAT, need improvement in Quant [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
buffdaddy wrote:
p.s (i don't think it was a good idea putting a "live" gmat question on your other thread, i'd edit that post if I were you.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I'm heading off to the bookstore today to look for quant pratice.

One of the moderators helped me by editing my other post.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Going to Retake GMAT, need improvement in Quant [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 05:49
This post received
KUDOS
Is there any particular area in Math you want to focus? Algebra, Geometry, Series e.t.c identify that and get the appropriate books. If its the basics get an high school book from math in the subject and work on it. My suggestion is use your local library instead of buying.
Re: Going to Retake GMAT, need improvement in Quant   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2008, 05:49