Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 09:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 01:30
JonHallGBS wrote:
hselika wrote:
JonHallGBS wrote:
Hey All - I am a current 2nd Year student at GBS concentrating in Marketing
Strategy. I am happy to answer and student life/academic
questions you might have about our program.

Let the questions fly!

---
Jon Hall
MBA Candidate 2013
Goizueta Business School - Emory University

Hi jonhall,

I have one question for you. What was your reason for choosing GBS.

Posted from my mobile device

hselika,

Great question. I have two very specific reasons for choosing GBS - the small community and the GMSC program:

-Small School Community + Big School Recruiting: I have grown up in small educational communities and knew I wanted a more intimate learning environment in which I would be challenged, but also have the support of both my classmates and professors. GBS does not have a cut-throat mentality among students. Professors are constantly available and will even open their professional networks to students if they see a proper fit. However, one of the big knocks on smaller schools (<300 per class) is that they cannot entice a large network of companies to visit campus for recruiting; this certainly is not the case for GBS. One quick look at our top hiring companies - Deloitte, Accenture, Bank of America - indicates that quality of candidates being put out by GBS far outweighs our smaller program. Even outside of our top hiring companies, it is easy to see that the majority of on-campus recruiting is dominated by traditional MBA-hiring companies - 3M, AT&T, Bain, McKinsey, BCG, Georgia-Pacific, RJ Reynolds, Delta Air Lines, to name a few.

-Goizueta Marketing Strategy Consultancy (GMSC): Given my marketing background and interest in Marketing Strategy, the GMSC program is what initially drew me to GBS. This is a very intensive marketing strategy class that places teams of 6 MBA students as real-world marketing consultants working on real-time projects for a client. This is not a class designed to demonstrated GBS's "Experiential Learning" as some similar programs are at other schools - you and your teammates are genuinely consultants on a project for a paying client with a budget that you must consider. Previous clients include Coca-Cola, The Weather Channel, Delta Air Lines, Carnival Cruise Lines, Mohawk Industries, Wellpoint, UCB Pharma, Solvay, among many others. The program was a great preparation for my marketing strategy internship at a major multinational, and I give a great deal of credit to my learnings in GMSC in helping me transition that internship into a full-time offer.

Please let me know what other questions you have. I have truly enjoyed my experience at GBS and am very sad to be leaving the great city of Atlanta in August.

Best,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the answer. I believe you and I come from a similar background wit similar goals. I too am looking to move to strategic marketing consulting post MBA. Keeping my fingers crossed for Goizueta to work out.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 02:24
Hey everyone,

Do you think there is still a chance to get an interview invite...?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 05:19
Does anyone know what percentage of the applicant pool gets invited to interview?

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 07:32
shmirill wrote:
Hey everyone,

Do you think there is still a chance to get an interview invite...?

I think we should keep our hopes alive till mid Jan. One of the post in the preceding page mentioned that interview invite required him/her to complete the interview by 18th Jan.
Current Student
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 08:10
Received an interview intive this morning; interview must be completed on campus, in-person by Jan 18th.
Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 08:40
Received an invite sometime back :)
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 19

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 09:56
anonymous44 wrote:
Received an interview intive this morning; interview must be completed on campus, in-person by Jan 18th.

Are you in the ATL area?

I'm in NYC. Will I be expected to fly to Atlanta if invited to interview or do they allow interviews with alumni in hub cities?
Current Student
GMAT 1: Q V

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 10:21
DMNY31 wrote:
anonymous44 wrote:

Are you in the ATL area?

I'm in NYC. Will I be expected to fly to Atlanta if invited to interview or do they allow interviews with alumni in hub cities?

My interview invite clearly said "in-person, on-campus" and I'm in the Boston area. They did have interviews with alums available, but they were on a Saturday on-campus.
Current Student

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 10:36
Thats rough, especially on such short notice. I will have to keep my calendar somewhat clear I suppose.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 10:39
I just scheduled my interview (pending confirmation) for Thursday night (Indian Time). Does anyone know how long it takes for them to confirm and send the Web Conference link?

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, General Management
Schools: Goizueta '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Hospitality and Tourism)

GMAT Tests User
Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 10:42
I believe there was a section in the application where you indicated either on campus or Skype interviews. They also offered open interviews during their super Saturdays but this was also on campus.

I know they prefer people to interview on campus as most if the interviews are done by the adcom.

I attended a super Saturday in September and elected not to interview at that time. I was later invited during round 1 and given the option of interviewing on campus or at an mba fair in the city I live. Since I had been to campus I elected to interview at the mba fair.

I do believe if they are in a city near an applicant they invite to interview they offer that option. Not sure how often this happens though

Current Student

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 11:39
thanks for the clarification. I already visited campus this past fall (not for Super Saturday) so hopefully I'll be able to interview in NYC.
Intern
Intern

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 13:14
Finally received the interview invitation :) Was starting to loose hope.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 00:13
Hi, does anyone know if there are still avaible interviews now?
I received the interview invitation last night, but when I created an account and tried to request an interview, I found there is no avaible interviews until 1/18(except Saturday, but I live in Taiwan and may not able to have an on-campus interview).
I have written a letter to the school asking for assistance and now waiting for reply.
Does anyone have the same situation like me?
Thanks!!!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 9

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 03:28
matsu913 wrote:
I received the interview invitation last night, but when I created an account and tried to request an interview, I found there is no avaible interviews until 1/18(except Saturday, but I live in Taiwan and may not able to have an on-campus interview).
I have written a letter to the school asking for assistance and now waiting for reply.
Thanks!!!

Hi, Try to select all available interviewers excluding alumni interviewers. When I registered last night, Jan 9, Jan 10 Jan 14 were showing up as open slots. However, they might have been filled up. However, the school will definitely free up a slot for you before Jan 18, don't worry.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 07:44
icecube6000 wrote:
matsu913 wrote:
Thanks!!!

Hi, Try to select all available interviewers excluding alumni interviewers. When I registered last night, Jan 9, Jan 10 Jan 14 were showing up as open slots. However, they might have been filled up. However, the school will definitely free up a slot for you before Jan 18, don't worry.

Yeah you are right, the school just replied me and said that they has added more spots. Now there are some spots available.Thank you so much and good luck to your interview.
Intern
Intern

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 11:42
Hey everyone,

So i have an interview tomorrow via Microsoft Lync and i wanted to ask a technical question. Do i join a meeting few minutes before and the interviewer approves me? or do i need to wait till the interviewer does something?

I'm asking this, because with other school i had a Skype interview and it was specifically mentioned that i need to wait till interviewer calls me...

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Goizueta (M)
WE: Account Management (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 12:13
hselika wrote:
Congrats to all those who got invited to interview. I had my interview on MS Lync 3 days back. Had problems with the system and therefore she called me on my cellphone and we had a phone interview.

Questions were pretty standard: why MBA, why now
She asked me abou my startup and how I was going to handle it a lot with my MBA
I come from an engineering background but have been in strategic marketing right upon graduation. Se asked me why. A few more questions from te resume

She asked me how the MBA would help t short term goals of being in strategic marketing consulting. I told her about the GMSC program.

She asked me how I felt about living in Atlanta.

The interview lasted exactly 4 minutes and she didn't have time to take questions from me as she had another interview lined up. I asked her about GALA and she said she would connect me with a current student about it and that student would help me with it.

Overall I felt the interview went fine but not awesome as it was sort d rushed.

Posted from my mobile device

hselika,

Glad to hear about your interview and your interest in GMSC and GALA - both great portions of the GBS MBA Experience. Though, only 4 minutes?! I didn't realize the admissions office had become so efficient...are you sure it wasn't 40? Just wanted to clarify for others, so they don't expect a super-short interview. Again, big congratulations and I look forward to hearing about your application decision.

Best,
Jon
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 21:10
Hi,

As I had posted earlier, i got an email to resend my essays, since they were unable to access it.
Since the school reopened on 3rd, I'm just wondering if they would have done going through my application/essays by now. Since the decision date is so close, is there still hope for me to get an I/V call?

Of course it is possible that they have gone through my app and didn't like it, but should I mail them and confirm if they have gone through my application?

Any help/thoughts are appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 21:35
JonHallGBS wrote:
Hey All - I am a current 2nd Year student at GBS concentrating in Marketing Strategy. I am happy to answer and student life/academic questions you might have about our program.

Let the questions fly!

---
Jon Hall
MBA Candidate 2013
Goizueta Business School - Emory University

Hi Jon, thanks for doing this. For me, the intimate learning environment at Goizueta is an attractive factor. That said, what in your opinion are the possible downsides of a small class? Does a small class size translate to a small network?

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

Re: Goizueta (Emory) - Calling All 2013 MBA Applicants   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2013, 21:35