Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 21:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Goizueta vs. Kelley

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Goizueta or Kelley?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 15:29
I need advice... :?

I have been accepted at Goizueta Business School and Kelley School of Business...

Rankings: very similar

Suggestions? :?:
Current students? :?:
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 16:57
I vouch for Emory because of its location.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 17:42
FWIW, BusinessWeek ranks Kelley at 15 and Goizueta at 23.

Kelley sends lots of grads to Chicago, Goizueta has a lot that stay in Atlanta. That should be an important factor in your decision, but both are top schools that send plenty of students to the NE and and throughout the rest of the states.

What industry/function are you aspiring to work in?
Intern
Intern

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 09:50
Thanks for your response!!

I am an international student looking to work in the US post-MBA. I still do not know if I want to major in Finance or Marketing (or a combination of both).

I am looing to work as a consultant right after my MBA.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 15:49
The adcom team at Kelley is top class. From my experience, the Goizueta team was NOT. The worst interview I ever had! But that was for me. I really liked Atlanta but after visiting Emory, I my interest in Goizueta tanked. I complained about my interview and eventually was Dinged. I got into Kelley tho! :-D

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Current Student
Schools: Columbia, Duke, Georgetown, Emory
WE 1: Marketing

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 18:46
Quality of students and companies are higher at Emory. No one takes BW seriously.
Manager
Manager

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 19:29
ozzy10fl wrote:
Quality of students and companies are higher at Emory. No one takes BW seriously.

ozzy10fl, what is BW???

Posted from my mobile device Image

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Current Student
Schools: Columbia, Duke, Georgetown, Emory
WE 1: Marketing

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 20:19
Business Week. US News is thought of as the gold standard for B school rankings. Kelley is a great school, but when you look at the names of companies that recruit, Emory seems to attract more Fortune 100's.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 10:43
Hey there

My name is Mahendra Shikaripur and I am a second year MBA student at the Kelley School of Business. I would be more than happy to help you out with any information that you might need to make your decision. Do email me at mshikari@indiana.edu for any specific concerns/questions you might have.

Cheers and good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 16:24
So I am still undecided.... :roll:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 16:47
USF1 - what exact information would you need? I am a 2nd year Kelley MBA student and would be happy to answer any questions. Feel free to email me at mshikari@indiana.edu
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 06:18
This post received
KUDOS
ozzy10fl wrote:
Business Week. US News is thought of as the gold standard for B school rankings.

i don't think any of the rankings are particularly useful except to get a ballpark estimate of your chances at a program. for example, you look to the rankings and see what "top 5" schools to apply to, and then 1 or 2 in the 6-10 range, and then 1-2 in the 10-20 range, etc. other than that, making claims that one ranking system is "the gold standard" vs. another ranking system is a bit fallacious

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 13:32
shadowsjc wrote:
ozzy10fl wrote:
Business Week. US News is thought of as the gold standard for B school rankings.

i don't think any of the rankings are particularly useful except to get a ballpark estimate of your chances at a program. for example, you look to the rankings and see what "top 5" schools to apply to, and then 1 or 2 in the 6-10 range, and then 1-2 in the 10-20 range, etc. other than that, making claims that one ranking system is "the gold standard" vs. another ranking system is a bit fallacious

I totally agree with shadowsjc.

In fact, now that I've done more research and know more about rankings and the like, I actually take BW more seriously. Their ranking appear to be more in tune with reality.

Intern
Intern

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 13:51
Case2010 wrote:
The adcom team at Kelley is top class. From my experience, the Goizueta team was NOT. The worst interview I ever had! But that was for me. I really liked Atlanta but after visiting Emory, I my interest in Goizueta tanked. I complained about my interview and eventually was Dinged. I got into Kelley tho! :-D

I actually think both admon teams are great. Both received me very well when visiting the schools. My interview at ATL went perfect... and not so good at Kelley...

I will most likely be matriculating at Goizueta...
Manager
Manager

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 14:12
USF1 wrote:
Case2010 wrote:

I actually think both admon teams are great. Both received me very well when visiting the schools. My interview at ATL went perfect... and not so good at Kelley...

Glad to hear that your ATL interview went well. Maybe the lady who interviewed me was having a REAL bad day or something. I really wanted to go to Goizueta cuz of the ATL metro and weather (its a place I'd like to settle down in eventually). So had I got in, and with a better financial package (the quality of MBA and ROI at both are comparable if you ask me), I'd most likely matriculate there too. Are they better for your intended concentration? Where else are you in at?

Intern
Intern

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 15:08
Case2010 wrote:
USF1 wrote:
Case2010 wrote:

Glad to hear that your ATL interview went well. Maybe the lady who interviewed me was having a REAL bad day or something. I really wanted to go to Goizueta cuz of the ATL metro and weather (its a place I'd like to settle down in eventually). So had I got in, and with a better financial package (the quality of MBA and ROI at both are comparable if you ask me), I'd most likely matriculate there too. Are they better for your intended concentration? Where else are you in at?

I will probably concentrate in corporate finance...which is great for all the HQ located in ATL...

Wharton: Waitlist
Emory: Admit with $
Kelley: Admit with GA
Notre Dame: Waitlist (withdrawn)
Purdue: Waitlist (withdrawn)
Manager
Manager

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 15:16
USF1 wrote:

I will probably concentrate in corporate finance...which is great for all the HQ located in ATL...

Wharton: Waitlist
Emory: Admit with $
Kelley: Admit with GA
Notre Dame: Waitlist (withdrawn)
Purdue: Waitlist (withdrawn)

Awesome!!! Looks like you are all set. Good luck and enjoy. You earned it!

Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2010, 15:16