Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 17:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Goizueta($$$) Vs Mccombs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Goizueta($$$) Vs Mccombs [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 06:57
Hello everyone,

I have a hard (but good) decision to make.

I was admitted to Goizueta with a scholarship of 35k and to McCombs without any. As far as school goes I'm leaning heavily towards McCombs. The industry I'm looking forward to find myself in is tech/healthcare, something to do with medical devices. One of my main concern is a financial aspect, as an international student there is no loans without co-signer at McComcbs...Goizueta on other hand has such an option. I will be able to support myself in McCombs but it will be much harder for me.

As I see it personally, I believe I will have better experience in Austin( i was there for 2 weeks and LOVED it). It seems as a much better place to spend 2 years than Atlanta ( where i also have been and it was ok...). I also would love to go to the west coast after graduation.

Goizueta also has a lot of opportunities but its mainly a consulting and marketing school, and I believe its not the optimal feet for me. Also i recently read an article about Goizueta in Poet & Quants, which says that Goizueta had a problem with international students last year, not been able to place most of them into areas they wanted.

The main question is, should I close my eyes and skip financial aspect of Goizueta and go with a personal preference to McCombs. Do you think McCombs have better opportunities for internationals? In a long run which school will be a better investment?

Thanks is advance
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Goizueta($$$) Vs Mccombs [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 07:19
Everything you say points to McCombs - don't let the $35K sway you. Especially since you want to go to tech/healthcare on the west coast. I know a McCombs grad who landed a job with Apple, and another graduating this year with a gig lined up with Genentech.

For a "regional" school, McCombs places well in tech in the SF bay area. Congrats on the admits - it sounds like you love McCombs and are going to have an awesome time there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: Goizueta($$$) Vs Mccombs [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 14:41
Goizeuta is part of Emory, which is one of, if not *the* premier healthcare providers in the Southeast. There are regional and national HQs of medical device companies in and around Atlanta (see http://www.semda.net/). You're right that the stereotype of the school doesn't match the stereotype of you, but you might find what you're looking for! My advice if you're uncertain: LinkedIn search for alumni from Emory in the industry or at companies you're interested in, and do the same with McCombs.
Current Student
Concentration: Sustainability, Operations
Schools: McCombs '15 (M)
WE: Editorial and Writing (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 43

Re: Goizueta($$$) Vs Mccombs [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 10:32
Just to echo what CobraKai said, it sounds like you are already leaning strongly toward McCombs. I imagine you are just looking for some encouragement that it's not folly to walk away from the money at Emory. I agree that you shouldn't let it sway you. If you really think that McCombs has such a lop-sided advantage in helping you meet your goals, then no amount of scholarship money is going to make up that difference.

And I won't pretend to know a lot about Goizueta but McCombs sounds like a great fit for your goals. I am looking forward myself to the West Coast career treks and there are obviously deep connections to the tech sector in Austin.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Goizueta($$$) Vs Mccombs [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 10:37
shmirill wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have a hard (but good) decision to make.

I was admitted to Goizueta with a scholarship of 35k and to McCombs without any. As far as school goes I'm leaning heavily towards McCombs. The industry I'm looking forward to find myself in is tech/healthcare, something to do with medical devices. One of my main concern is a financial aspect, as an international student there is no loans without co-signer at McComcbs...Goizueta on other hand has such an option. I will be able to support myself in McCombs but it will be much harder for me.

As I see it personally, I believe I will have better experience in Austin( i was there for 2 weeks and LOVED it). It seems as a much better place to spend 2 years than Atlanta ( where i also have been and it was ok...). I also would love to go to the west coast after graduation.

Goizueta also has a lot of opportunities but its mainly a consulting and marketing school, and I believe its not the optimal feet for me. Also i recently read an article about Goizueta in Poet & Quants, which says that Goizueta had a problem with international students last year, not been able to place most of them into areas they wanted.

The main question is, should I close my eyes and skip financial aspect of Goizueta and go with a personal preference to McCombs. Do you think McCombs have better opportunities for internationals? In a long run which school will be a better investment?

Thanks is advance

id go to Mccombs either way... but id first tell them about your Emory offer, reiterate your interest in mccombs as your top pick, and ask if its possible that they reevaluate you for a scholarship/instate tuition
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 23

Re: Goizueta($$$) Vs Mccombs [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 16:12
I'll be straight with you I know very little about Emory Gozuita. But McCombs is a great school and a very solid program. Austin is also an awesome city.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 23

Re: Goizueta($$$) Vs Mccombs [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 16:42
This post received
KUDOS
bigcountry wrote:
Goizeuta is part of Emory, which is one of, if not *the* premier healthcare providers in the Southeast. There are regional and national HQs of medical device companies in and around Atlanta (see http://www.semda.net/). You're right that the stereotype of the school doesn't match the stereotype of you, but you might find what you're looking for! My advice if you're uncertain: LinkedIn search for alumni from Emory in the industry or at companies you're interested in, and do the same with McCombs.

I have to echo this. With that being said, both schools are the heavy-hitter school in their region so you'll have lots of regional opportunities at both schools. I prefer the private school culture at Emory (which is quite different from NE privates) and the overall Emory brand but I agree that Austin is a nicer and safer city. Have you visited either school? I know it could be a bit of an expense depending on where you're coming from but my eyes were opened when I visited a few schools and it could really help you make up your mind. I've heard that McCombs isn't a great school for international students, but Goizueta isn't the best in that regard either. If you cannot make the visit, why not reach out to some students/alumni at both schools and try to get a feel for each school before making the decision? It seems your heart is set for McCombs but it'd be better to go there well-informed than to choose blindly based on your gut feeling, especially if it means leaving $35k on the table somewhere else.
Re: Goizueta($$$) Vs Mccombs   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2013, 16:42