Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Goizueta Vs Mccombs Vs Kenan Flagler

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Goizueta Vs Mccombs Vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 07:04
Hi everyone,

I'm an international student that coming from corporate banking background + one year long internship in biotech.

I got accepted to Emory( with a scholarship, 1/4 of tuition) this week and soon will hear from UNC & Mccombs.

I visited every campus and loved all of the schools.

I'm looking forward to concentrate in healthcare, and i will try to find myself either in consulting that has to do with healthcare or in a biotech/pharma company.

Now as far as the school goes i see UNC as my top choice, but i'm coming from a big city and Chapel Hill itself doesn't really looks that exciting to me...On other hand Atlanta & Austin look like a great places to spend 2 years.( i spent 5 days in Atlanta and 2 weeks in Austin, and really loved both cities. Austin even more)

After getting scolarship from Emory, its kind of became the most serious option for me.

Mccombs would be my first choice but they dont have any loans for internationals, so it would be the hardest option financially out of the 3.

So the big decision is between Emory and UNC, both have loans for int. students.

On one hand i have almost 20k from Emory and it's in Atlanta, on the other hand UNC is a little bit higher in ranking and very strong in healthcare and biotech/pharma.

So taking all the factors, i really having trouble to decide.

Should i go to a big city + scholarship? Or to a school with a very strong concentration and networking in healthcare?

If i'm going to get into UNC with a scholarship i think i will go to UNC.

I will really appreciate any incite.

Thanks in advance .
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Goizueta Vs Mccombs Vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 07:10
Expert's post
shmirill wrote:
I got accepted to Emory( with a scholarship, 1/4 of tuition) this week and soon will hear from UNC & Mccombs.

Congratulations on the scholarship at Emory! That's great.
However, you don't have a decision to make right now. Wait until you hear back from UNC and McCombs before you go down this path.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Goizueta Vs Mccombs Vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 07:31
shmirill wrote:

I'm looking forward to concentrate in healthcare, and i will try to find myself either in consulting that has to do with healthcare or in a biotech/pharma company.

Now as far as the school goes i see UNC as my top choice, but i'm coming from a big city and Chapel Hill itself doesn't really looks that exciting to me...On other hand Atlanta & Austin look like a great places to spend 2 years.( i spent 5 days in Atlanta and 2 weeks in Austin, and really loved both cities. Austin even more)

Congrats! The missing piece of information for me is: Where do you want to live after graduation? To me, that's more important that the schools surroundings for two years. Look at the schools employment reports and see where they tend to place their students (and as a result, where the networks will be the strongest).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Intern
Intern

Re: Goizueta Vs Mccombs Vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 09:33
aerien wrote:
shmirill wrote:

However, you don't have a decision to make right now. Wait until you hear back from UNC and McCombs before you go down this path.

It's not that i'm over optimistic, its just that i need to make decision about Emory before February 15th, which is a little more than 2 weeks...So i'm just trying to build my final decision a little bit ahead. I really wasn't expecting any scholarship from Emory. So its a little bit shifted my priorities, and know i'm trying to think about all the options one more time.

Last edited by shmirill on 27 Jan 2013, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Goizueta Vs Mccombs Vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 10:00
You can't go wrong with any of the three - they're all great schools!

Although I'm slightly biased towards McCombs, since Austin is one of my favorite cities.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Goizueta Vs Mccombs Vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 07:19
shmirill wrote:
aerien wrote:
shmirill wrote:

It's not that i'm over optimistic, its just that i need to make decision about Emory before February 15th, which is a little more than 2 weeks...So i'm just trying to build my final decision a little bit ahead. I really wasn't expecting any scholarship from Emory. So its a little bit shifted my priorities, and know i'm trying to think about all the options one more time.

Will you hear from either UT or UNC before 2/15? If not, it sounds like you'll be putting a deposit down at Emory just incase anyway... then you'll have a while to decide.

Edit: just saw the decision dates, both on or by 2/15. The most important part of this decision will be where you want to live. I love Austin (lived there for a bit) and really enjoy the The Research Triangle, I'm not a huge fan of Atlanta. Super personal decision though, congrats and good luck!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Goizueta Vs Mccombs Vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 22:11
Hi shmirill,

I am in the exact same boat. Got into Emory on 15k per Sem schol and had my interview at UNC just yesterday. It went exceedingly well. Don't know if I should wait. Hmm..

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: Goizueta Vs Mccombs Vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 07:30
Hi everyone again :)

So eventually my decision is narrowed to Goizueta vs McCombs ( Got wait-listed at UNC). A little update, the scholarship from Goizueta is actually bigger than i thought in the beginning, its 35k.

I already paid the deposit to Goizueta but i do feel deep inside that McCombs will be a better fit for me...

On the other hand financially McCombs will be a struggle for me as they dont have any loans for internationals. I will still be able to afford it but with less ease of mind than in Goizueta...

So in the long run, which school is a better investment?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Goizueta Vs Mccombs Vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 08:47
shmirill wrote:
Hi everyone again :)

So eventually my decision is narrowed to Goizueta vs McCombs ( Got wait-listed at UNC). A little update, the scholarship from Goizueta is actually bigger than i thought in the beginning, its 35k.

I already paid the deposit to Goizueta but i do feel deep inside that McCombs will be a better fit for me...

On the other hand financially McCombs will be a struggle for me as they dont have any loans for internationals. I will still be able to afford it but with less ease of mind than in Goizueta...

So in the long run, which school is a better investment?

Well... you have the potential to earn right around the same out of each. So the question comes back to, where do you want to live post graduation?

Emory - Employment stats
South - 48% (Mostly Atlanta)
Northeast - 24%
Midwest - 9%
Southwest - 7%
West - 6%
Mid-Atlantic - 2%

International - 4%

Texas - Employment stats
Southwest - 60% (Mostly Texas)
West - 15%
Northeast - 8%