Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Goizueta vs. Wash U (Olin) w/ Scholarship Money

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
GRE 1: 314 Q154 V160
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Goizueta vs. Wash U (Olin) w/ Scholarship Money [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 11:50
Hello,

Yesterday I was notified that I was accepted into the Two-Year Full-Time MBA program at Emory's Goizueta school of business off the wait list. Additionally I am also accepted to Wash U Olin with a scholarship that is a little less than one full year of tuition. I am planning on studying marketing, and will be looking for a job in Brand management.

Additionally, I am from New York, and I will be looking to return to the Northeast following my MBA. It seems that both schools are pretty regional, but do you think that it will be easier to get back to the Northeast from Goizueta over Olin?

Academically, both schools seem very similar.

Please let me know your thoughts on whether I should pass up my scholarship at Olin, and attend Goizueta with no scholarship money.

Thanks in advance for all of your helpful information.

Sincerely,

BKane86
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 6

Re: Goizueta vs. Wash U (Olin) w/ Scholarship Money [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 19:59
Hi Bkane86,

As per US B-School ranking Emory Goizueta is on 18th rank and and Olin is 21st. Emory is definitely a good business school but if you are getting scholarship more than 50% I would suggest you to go for Olin in that case.

You can also get in touch with the alumnus of Olin and Emory to get to know more about the business school and its focus towards marketing.

Hope it helps.

Feel free to write further queries if you have.

Cheers!
Neha Singh

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 1

Re: Goizueta vs. Wash U (Olin) w/ Scholarship Money [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 06:16
Expert's post
Hi Bkane86,

Congratulations - the long journey is coming to a close! I would recommend you pursue Emory and here's why:

1) There is a stigma associated with top 20, non-top 20. 18 puts you in the game. You might not think 3 rank points to 21 makes much of a difference, but it may one day. If you can go top 20 - always do.

2) While both have regional networks, Emory has an incredibly strong (albeit small) network in the NE. The reason for this is because Emory (undergrad and MBA) places a lot of students in the northeast in both Finance and Marketing.

I understand the money component can definitely seem like a big differentiator now but if you are looking at a field that takes only a few from the best and brightest (e.g. Marketing) the brand of your MBA matters.

If you have any questions about what I wrote above, just let me know!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Goizueta vs. Wash U (Olin) w/ Scholarship Money [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 08:08
Bkane86 wrote:
Hello,

Yesterday I was notified that I was accepted into the Two-Year Full-Time MBA program at Emory's Goizueta school of business off the wait list. Additionally I am also accepted to Wash U Olin with a scholarship that is a little less than one full year of tuition. I am planning on studying marketing, and will be looking for a job in Brand management.

Additionally, I am from New York, and I will be looking to return to the Northeast following my MBA. It seems that both schools are pretty regional, but do you think that it will be easier to get back to the Northeast from Goizueta over Olin?

Academically, both schools seem very similar.

Please let me know your thoughts on whether I should pass up my scholarship at Olin, and attend Goizueta with no scholarship money.

Thanks in advance for all of your helpful information.

Sincerely,

BKane86

Go to Emory. It is the better school for you (marketing/brand management) as well as having a better network in the northeast.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Goizueta vs. Wash U (Olin) w/ Scholarship Money [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 05:29
I would say go to Emory as well.

Good luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog
Give KUDOS! if a post helps you
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on GMAT Club & https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv and Michael Cohan on https://plus.google.com/u/0/112394163312774253233
Like MBAPrepAdvantage on https://www.facebook.com/MBAPrepAdvantage

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.

Re: Goizueta vs. Wash U (Olin) w/ Scholarship Money   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2013, 05:29