Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Goldenrod and No Hope are in a horse race with 6 contestants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 12

Goldenrod and No Hope are in a horse race with 6 contestants [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 01:11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:01) correct 38% (01:28) wrong based on 16 sessions
Goldenrod and No Hope are in a horse race with 6 contestants. How many different arrangements of finishes are there if No Hope always finishes before Goldenrod and if all of the horses finish the race?

(A) 720
(B) 360
(C) 120
(D) 24
(E) 21

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: goldenrod-and-no-hope-are-in-a-horse-race-with-6-contestants-82214.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 13

Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 01:14
Alchemist1320 wrote:
Goldenrod and No Hope are in a horse race with 6 contestants. How many different arrangements of finishes are there if No Hope always finishes before Goldenrod and if all of the horses finish the race?

(A) 720
(B) 360
(C) 120
(D) 24
(E) 21

no hope finishing before goldenrod= 1/2 of the times
therefore the different arrangements are 1/2* 6! = 360 = B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 12

Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 01:18
vow...thats really smart way to solve this

thanks
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.72
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 17:26
If anyone has the time, could you please elaborate on this? Why divide by 2? If the Goldenrod is always head, aren't there more than 1/2 ways for him to be ahead?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 20:25
sudhir18n wrote:
Alchemist1320 wrote:

(A) 720
(B) 360
(C) 120
(D) 24
(E) 21

I don't get this intuition. Please kindly explain :D

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [1] , given: 165

Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 20:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Let's work on a simplistic example first:

There are 3 contestants A, B and C. In how many different ways can they finish a race? The following arrangements are possible
A B C
A C B
B A C
B C A
C A B
C B A
A total of 3! = 6 arrangements. The first position is occupied by the contestant whose name is written first i.e. A B C implies A stand first, B second and C third.
In how many of these is A ahead of B? We count and get 3 (A B C, A C B and C A B)
In how many of these is B ahead of A? We count and get 3 again (B A C, B C A, C B A)
The question is that out of 6 arrangements why is it that in half A is ahead and in the other half, B is ahead? Because the arrangements are symmetrical. Each element has the same status. Since we are taking into account all arrangements, if half of them are partial toward A, other half have to be partial toward B. There is no difference between A and B.

So if we have 6 contestants and two of them are Goldenrod and Nohope, out of a total of 6! = 720 arrangements, in 360 Goldenrod will be ahead of Nohope and in the other 360, Nohope will be ahead of Goldenrod.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.72

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 20:49
Makes so much sense now, thank you very much.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 13

Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 20:57
Mahtab wrote:
sudhir18n wrote:
Alchemist1320 wrote:

(A) 720
(B) 360
(C) 120
(D) 24
(E) 21

I don't get this intuition. Please kindly explain :D

Hi Mahtab,
Not sure why you thought this was intuition? This is actually how the symmetry works,
Try any random alphabets , XYZ .. Chances of X ahead of Y will always be 1/2 . This will be true for rest of the alphabets.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 19

Reviews Badge
Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 14:29
Thanks Karishma! once again great explanation.

Looking for Kudos :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 62

Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 20:06
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

There are 3 contestants A, B and C. In how many different ways can they finish a race? The following arrangements are possible
A B C
A C B
B A C
B C A
C A B
C B A
A total of 3! = 6 arrangements. The first position is occupied by the contestant whose name is written first i.e. A B C implies A stand first, B second and C third.
In how many of these is A ahead of B? We count and get 3 (A B C, A C B and C A B)
In how many of these is B ahead of A? We count and get 3 again (B A C, B C A, C B A)
The question is that out of 6 arrangements why is it that in half A is ahead and in the other half, B is ahead? Because the arrangements are symmetrical. Each element has the same status. Since we are taking into account all arrangements, if half of them are partial toward A, other half have to be partial toward B. There is no difference between A and B.

So if we have 6 contestants and two of them are Goldenrod and Nohope, out of a total of 6! = 720 arrangements, in 360 Goldenrod will be ahead of Nohope and in the other 360, Nohope will be ahead of Goldenrod.

Got the same solution.
Just to add upon Karishma's post.
PS - Hope she does not mind;)
When will the arrangements not be symmetrical ?

This will happen when one letter is repeated more than other.
In other words - there is higher weightage for one element - So there is more partiality and symmetry is not there...
You can try with an example say AABC and see how many times A comes before B and B comes before A.

Sign off for the night on a philosophical note :| - Nature does not love symmetry but we humans love symmetry :lol: - All it takes for a person to look beautiful are to have his eyes, nose, ears, etc in symmetry :idea:

Labor cost for typing this post >= Labor cost for pushing the Kudos Button
kudos-what-are-they-and-why-we-have-them-94812.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 20:23
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

A B C
A C B
B A C
B C A
C A B
C B A

Great explanation, thank you!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 14:04
Alchemist1320 wrote:
Goldenrod and No Hope are in a horse race with 6 contestants.

Dont know if this question sounds little stupid, but , i want to clear it..

Shouldnt the total number of participants be considered 8. The reason is that "Goldenrod and No Hope are in a horse race with 6 contestants", my reasoning is, when i tell i am walking with 2 people, it means there are totally 3. Am i thinking wrongly or how is it ?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [1] , given: 165

Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 19:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mustu wrote:
Alchemist1320 wrote:
Goldenrod and No Hope are in a horse race with 6 contestants.

Dont know if this question sounds little stupid, but , i want to clear it..

Shouldnt the total number of participants be considered 8. The reason is that "Goldenrod and No Hope are in a horse race with 6 contestants", my reasoning is, when i tell i am walking with 2 people, it means there are totally 3. Am i thinking wrongly or how is it ?

The given statement means that Goldenrod and No Hope are a part of [highlight]a horse race with 6 contestants[/highlight] (the horse race has 6 contestants). If the question wanted to say that there are 8 contestants, it would have said, "Goldenrod and No Hope are a part of a horse race with 6 other contestants."

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 03:02
Thanks Karishma , Kudos :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 05:40
I understood why the ans is 360, but can someone explain me why my method is wrong?

My variant:
there are 6 places _ _ _ _ _ _
If NH 1st there are 5 places left for another horse 1 _ _ _ _ _ (i.e. 5 variants)
if NH 2nd there are 4 places possible for another horse _ 2 _ _ _ _ (i.e. 4 variants)
If we continue we receive 5 * 4 * 3 * 2 *1 i.e. 5! = 120.

What I missed?
Intern
Intern
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 06:37
alexpiers wrote:
I understood why the ans is 360, but can someone explain me why my method is wrong?

My variant:
If NH 1st there are 5 places left for another horse 1 _ _ _ _ _ (i.e. 5 variants)
if NH 2nd there are 4 places possible for another horse _ 2 _ _ _ _ (i.e. 4 variants)

What I missed?

I am not sure whether I have found it correctly or not. I guess you have calculated the variants by taking only one horse into consideration. In this case we have to consider both the horses.

here is how i solved this problem
Rule : NH always finishes ahead of G
Possibilities
Lets assume that NH finishes 1st. In this case, the other horses can be arranged in 5! ways - 120( Rule Satisfied)
NH finishes 2nd. Apart from G other horses can be arranged in 4! ways and G can take 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 = 4!*4 = 96
NH finishes 3rd. Apart from G other horses can be arranged in 4! ways and G can take 4 or 5 or 6 = 4! * 3 = 72
NH finishes 4th. Apart from G other horses can be arranged in 4! ways and G can take 5 or 6 = 4! * 2 = 48
NH finishes 5th. Apart from G other horses can be arranged in 4! ways and G can take only 6 = 4! * 1 = 24

So the total way of arranging is 120+96+72+48+21 = 24(5+4+3+2+1) = 360

hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ? [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 07:11
aravicamp wrote:
alexpiers wrote:

My variant:

What I missed?

I am not sure whether I have found it correctly or not. I guess you have calculated the variants by taking only one horse into consideration. In this case we have to consider both the horses.

here is how i solved this problem
Rule : NH always finishes ahead of G
Possibilities
Lets assume that NH finishes 1st. In this case, the other horses can be arranged in 5! ways - 120( Rule Satisfied)
NH finishes 2nd. Apart from G other horses can be arranged in 4! ways and G can take 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 = 4!*4 = 96
NH finishes 3rd. Apart from G other horses can be arranged in 4! ways and G can take 4 or 5 or 6 = 4! * 3 = 72
NH finishes 4th. Apart from G other horses can be arranged in 4! ways and G can take 5 or 6 = 4! * 2 = 48
NH finishes 5th. Apart from G other horses can be arranged in 4! ways and G can take only 6 = 4! * 1 = 24

So the total way of arranging is 120+96+72+48+21 = 24(5+4+3+2+1) = 360

hope this helps.

Thanks! I understood my mistake: I counted only outcomes with 2 horses and forget about 4 others. That is why I have only 5*4*3*2 instead of 5!+4!+3!+2!
Re: How many different arrangements of finishes ?   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2011, 07:11