Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gone over material now what?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2012
Posts: 84
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 510 Q34 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q34 V44
GMAT 4: 690 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 16

Gone over material now what? [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 11:18
400 official quant questions from Official Guide
230 official quant questions from GMAT Prep book
300 questions from Total GMAT Math (redo)

6 Manhattan prep tests (redo)
2 official GMAT prep tests (redo)

I scored a 640 on my last GMAT (35th percentile on quant; 97th percentile verbal.) I have spent the last 2 months since my last retake going over the material on Total GMAT MATH (book). I am mindful that reading over the material is useless without practicing the type of questions that will be on the test. Now that I have covered the material, how should I tackle the practice questions? (I listed the practice questions that I have available to study). Starting next week, I will have 4-5 hours available to study each day and I want to maximize my studying. If you feel that a retake would not be a good idea, please offer your opinion as well.

Thanks!

Jose
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12336
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2322

Kudos [?]: 9409 [1] , given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Gone over material now what? [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 19:29
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Wow great verbal score!!!

Get te Kaplan math workbook and see you fair with that.

P.s. kudos for doing the total GMAT math. That's a tough book.

Ps knowledge is everything - practice questions are only 10-20% of your score. Of you solve 1,000 questions you will get 550 but if you are well versed in quant you will get 700.


Posted from my mobile device.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2011
Posts: 182
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: Gone over material now what? [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 20:25
josemnz83 wrote:
400 official quant questions from Official Guide
230 official quant questions from GMAT Prep book
300 questions from Total GMAT Math (redo)

6 Manhattan prep tests (redo)
2 official GMAT prep tests (redo)

I scored a 640 on my last GMAT (35th percentile on quant; 97th percentile verbal.) I have spent the last 2 months since my last retake going over the material on Total GMAT MATH (book). I am mindful that reading over the material is useless without practicing the type of questions that will be on the test. Now that I have covered the material, how should I tackle the practice questions? (I listed the practice questions that I have available to study). Starting next week, I will have 4-5 hours available to study each day and I want to maximize my studying. If you feel that a retake would not be a good idea, please offer your opinion as well.

Thanks!

Jose


I believe Math is built only block-by-block, as BB stated, being well versed. This is how I see it: first, logic; second, basic arithmetic/statistics; third, algebra; fourth, word problems; and finally, the coup de grace, test management/execution. Anyway, I know my opinion isn't worth much..

There are some great links on how to improve your quant score.
a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Nice verbal, any tips on the verbal piece?
_________________

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 313
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 66

Re: Gone over material now what? [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 21:06
Expert's post
bb wrote:

Ps knowledge is everything - practice questions are only 10-20% of your score. Of you solve 1,000 questions you will get 550 but if you are well versed in quant you will get 700.


Posted from my mobile device.


BB's quote is perfect. It's not a question of numbers. Don't rattle off 100 questions and expect to improve if you approach each the same way. Instead, think about each question as if you had to modify it. What is the question testing? What are the traps that people can fall into? What happens if I change this number or that number? I'd recommend doing that with a few dozen questions and see if your understanding of the material expands a little. If you can get to the point where you're building your own questions and modifying existing questions to set new traps, you'll be much better prepared for test day.

Hope this helps!
-Ron
_________________

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2012
Posts: 84
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 510 Q34 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q34 V44
GMAT 4: 690 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 16

Re: Gone over material now what? [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 12:58
Thanks for the feedback. Verbal is a matter of practice. I definitely recommend the GMAT sentence correction strategy guide by Manhattan. You can purchase the ebook at a cheap price. I also suggest that you redo the problems on the GMAT prep several times. Repetition seems to be effective as it familiarizes you with the traps that the testmaker uses for the verbal piece. Let me know if you need more detailed info. Happy to help when I can.

mejia401 wrote:
josemnz83 wrote:
400 official quant questions from Official Guide
230 official quant questions from GMAT Prep book
300 questions from Total GMAT Math (redo)

6 Manhattan prep tests (redo)
2 official GMAT prep tests (redo)

I scored a 640 on my last GMAT (35th percentile on quant; 97th percentile verbal.) I have spent the last 2 months since my last retake going over the material on Total GMAT MATH (book). I am mindful that reading over the material is useless without practicing the type of questions that will be on the test. Now that I have covered the material, how should I tackle the practice questions? (I listed the practice questions that I have available to study). Starting next week, I will have 4-5 hours available to study each day and I want to maximize my studying. If you feel that a retake would not be a good idea, please offer your opinion as well.

Thanks!

Jose


I believe Math is built only block-by-block, as BB stated, being well versed. This is how I see it: first, logic; second, basic arithmetic/statistics; third, algebra; fourth, word problems; and finally, the coup de grace, test management/execution. Anyway, I know my opinion isn't worth much..

There are some great links on how to improve your quant score.
a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Nice verbal, any tips on the verbal piece?
Re: Gone over material now what?   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2013, 12:58
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Need help with study material! Gone through BB's post. Still Confused. TheTimeHasCome 0 01 Sep 2014, 03:00
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic I'm out of OG Verbal material- now what? upandcoming 5 25 Mar 2013, 15:15
1 I have gone through the Manhattan GMAT RC material and i am grakesh 2 09 Dec 2012, 04:02
2 Idioms Gone. What about Parallel Idioms? gmatpunjabi 7 20 Jan 2012, 16:42
Now what?:(:( Yogaman 3 25 Jan 2006, 04:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Gone over material now what?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.