Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 18:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Good Accounting Grad. Programs in TX

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Good Accounting Grad. Programs in TX [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 09:17
I've already applied to UT Austin, but am definitely nervous about my odds of getting in. With roughly a 30% acceptance rate (and being the #1 grad school for accounting program in the country), I'm hoping for the best, but am also trying to be realistic.

I was wondering if anyone knows of other good, well-respected graduate accounting programs in TX? ANY info/opinions would be MUCH appreciated!!
I heard that University of Houston is decent, but everyone I have talked to said to stay away from Houston at all costs. Also was going to apply to Texas A&M, but they favor people with undergrad accounting majors, which I don't have.

My profile:

GMAT: 660
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Undergrad Major: Communications & Psychology (double)
Work Experience: Taught English in Thailand in 2010, worked for Communications company for ~ 1 year, currently working at Investment firm also ~ 1 year.

Thank you in advance!!

Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
- Thomas Edison

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GPA: 2.81
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Good Accounting Grad. Programs in TX [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 11:28
whats your goal after you graduate? work in TX? big 4 firm?

id check out one of the UT schools (san antonio, arlington) if you're trying to go to school in TX and work in TX

you should check out out of state programs like UNC, USC, and wake forest
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 6

Re: Good Accounting Grad. Programs in TX [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 11:32
This post received
KUDOS
My goal is to live/work in TX after I graduate. I have some family in Austin & it seems like a good place for good work/life balance (I am currently in Chicago.)

Definitely will look into both of those schools. I was just looking at UT Dallas, but they don't seem to have as big of on-campus recruiting as I would like.

Might even just re-apply to Austin next year if this year doesn't work out... :-/

Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
- Thomas Edison

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 4
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: Good Accounting Grad. Programs in TX [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 12:26
actressinpink wrote:
My goal is to live/work in TX after I graduate. I have some family in Austin & it seems like a good place for good work/life balance (I am currently in Chicago.)

Definitely will look into both of those schools. I was just looking at UT Dallas, but they don't seem to have as big of on-campus recruiting as I would like.

Might even just re-apply to Austin next year if this year doesn't work out... :-/

I thought I would give you some advice about accounting programs in Texas. I live and work in Texas right now.

My list of programs:

1. UT
2. Texas A&M
3. Baylor
4. SMU
5. Texas Tech

Others:

1. UT - Dallas
2. UNT (University of North Texas)

My list is based on my perspective of schools that will get you a good job. UTD and UNT are okay, but your job prospects are not as favorable. It is going to be very difficult to find work in Austin. It is a very popular city, so the job market is flooded with applicants. The wages in Austin are also lower than other places in Texas. The job market is strongest in Houston. Dallas is the next biggest market.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Good Accounting Grad. Programs in TX [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 13:23
Thank you, that was really helpful!!! I actually hadn't heard of SMU before, but based on the info online, it looks like it might be a good back up for me.

- Thomas Edison

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 18

Re: Good Accounting Grad. Programs in TX [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 21:37
hello. can anyone give me some insights about Macc program of UT at Tyler?? I am going to apply in UT at Tyler.

gmat 560
cgpa: 3.43
work experience: 4 years

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Re: Good Accounting Grad. Programs in TX   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2013, 21:37