Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

good fit schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

good fit schools? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 06:55
So, I took my GMATs back with my husband (then fiance). He has since gone to b-school and graduating this year. Based on how my career is going, I've been thinking about applying to school myself. I'm not sure if it's worth the investment of time and money when weighted against career advances. Here are my stats...any thoughts on what--if any-- program would make sense for me? Just a note-- I do not want to do a part time program. I woudl consider waiting a few years then going for an e-MBA if that made sense.

GMAT: 690
UGrad GPA/Degree: 3.3, BS in Neuroscience from a top 20 liberal arts college
UGrad activities (does this even matter?): awarded health care fellowship, did a lot of important sounding science-y research, completed the faux honors program in humanities, on the school paper and activities council, was a peer mentor, worked in admissions...probably a bunch of other stuff that I haven't thought about in 6 years.
Grad school/GPA: Masters in Public Health, concentration in healthcare policy and management; GPA is a 3.6 [note: grad school was done part time and without debt-- my employer paid for it]
UGrad activities: bunch of public health-y grant writing type stuff; mainly just worked job which at the time was public health-y.
Current extracurriculars: participating a regional young healthcare professionals chapter, active in the healthcare analytics community, serve as an admissions associate/alum interviewer for my ugrad institution, part of a couple professional networks affiliated with my career.

W/E: 2 years in public health grant writing, 1.5 years in hospital quality improvement, 2+ years working in partnership development, brand strategy, and corporate M&A strategy for a fast growing healthcare technology company (not a start up, but an up-and-comer).

My reason for entertaining b-school is that my job--and my interests--have put me in a spot where I am working on a lot of corporate finance/corporate strategy projects and I feel I just don't have the background. I have a strong healthcare background so am not desperate for a school with a healthcare management track- I don't want to manage a hospital or do QI initiatives. I'm much more interested in smaller companies that work in and around the growing healthcare space, and for that, I'm looking to boost my general strategy and finance background.

Right now, I sit in a room with the rest of the folks involved in M&A and am the only one without an MBA. I'm too young for an eMBA. Does it make sense to think about going back to school or just waiting it out? Of note, I don't think I will stay with this current company for more than another year or two. If I were to go to b-school, I'd look for a job elsewhere but doing similar things.

Part of my hesitation is that there were so many students in my husband's program who seemed to have much less "real" work experience-- it seemed like they got bored at their entry level jobs and decided to get an MBA.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: good fit schools? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 18:54
I think that no matter which school you enter, you'll find students there who got there because of simple boredom or lack of a place to go pre-mba. I think you'll find those types of mentality at harvard, as well as pepperdine university. However, you are ultimately the judge of your own life and if I were you, I wouldn't worry much about the 'type' of students you've seen in b-school but instead, focus more on how you will achieve the certain greatness that you're looking for. With that said, yes, I think you have enough experience to go for a good b-school that will help leverage your pre-mba experience. Lastly, if going to bschool will help your career out and you feel that it's the right time to do it, go for it. Life's too short to wait on it!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: good fit schools?   [#permalink] 03 May 2011, 18:54