Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Good GPA at weaker school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Good GPA at weaker school? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2009, 00:45
How big of a factor is your undergraduate school in admissions?

I have a good GPA (3.65 cum, 3.85 major) but only at the so-so school of UC Davis. Some people at this forum have worse GPAs but they attended much better UG schools.

I'm hoping my school doesn't weaken my app too much.

First post of mine, thanks GMAT Club!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: Good GPA at weaker school? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 06:59
Vsw00t,

By itself, your GPA is is strong for being above 3.5 (cum) and even better for being above 3.7 (major).

However, it is a single component of your overall application package. It definitely won't be a weakness (regardless of where it is from) but the strength of your application depends on multiple components such as GPA, GMAT, essays, profile and fit for the particular school you are applying to.

My MBA Admit
Khyati Soparkar, Lead Consultant
MBA Admissions Consultants
New York, NY

Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation

Just starting the MBA application process? Our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report is currently offered for $100 only! This 10-page report conducts a multidimensional profile evaluation, and provides you with a comprehensive list of business schools that match. Click to Find Out More!

MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com

Read the My MBA Admit Blog

Follow My MBA Admit on Twitter and Facebook!

Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Good GPA at weaker school? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 15:03
It is not a problem at all. I have a friend who went to UC Davis and graduated from Columbia Business School in 2001. She had a near perfect SAT score though. :-) Then she went on to investment banking and has survived all the craze on the street including the internet bubble right after her graduation. So undergrad school is by no means a determinant of a person's career success.

In terms of your application, demonstrate your potential for your stated goals. Below are some major elements we recommend you to show in your application.

1) Evidence of achievement. Achievements need to be significant either by the hurdles you had to overcome or by the net result.

2) Evidence of intellect. This is demonstrated partly through GMAT and previous academic record. In addition, a sophisticated level of analysis and a subtle and nuanced approach to intellectual problems in the workplace.

3) Evidence of character. Specifically:
a) Team orientation
b) Leadership potential
c) Self-awareness
d) Cultural sensitivity and awareness
e) Drive and ambition
f) Authenticity and Integrity

Focus on your uniquenesses and convince others why you can be a high-achiever after b-school.

We have a great team of admissions consultants who are former admissions committee members. Please feel free to email us at admissions@manhattanreview.com. Our detailed services are outlined here:
manhattan-review-mba-admissions-consulting-services-overview-89049.html

Feel free to drop us a line if you need any assistance during your application process.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Good GPA at weaker school? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 21:43
Wow! Very informative posts from both of you, especially ManhattanReview. I appreciate it! I'll definitely be checking out your services once I start my apps.

Another question: I'm 22 now, soon to be 23 this year. Is my age going to bring down my application at top 15 schools? I've been reading that average ages are trending downward, but not as low as 23. I'll be focusing in marketing.

Thanks!
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: Good GPA at weaker school? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 07:42
Vsw00t,

As a MBA student at University of Chicago, I had classmates with an age range of 21-45, with an average age of 27. The youngest member had entered the MBA program directly after her undergraduate degree, and still obtained a choice job after graduation.

Age is a factor in MBA admissions, but not necessarily one of the largest ones. We have already established that you have a strong GPA. Other aspects that you should focus on to ensure a strong application are quality of your essays, clear career goals, and the reasons why you are applying to a MBA program now, versus two years later. Although your age/fewer years of work experience might be seen as a gap, essays/letters of recommendation that clearly establish that you have the career need (through essays) and capabilities (through letters) to be a part of the incoming MBA class would help to mitigate it.

Thinking about this would be a good exercise for your overall MBA application as well, and help you clearly evaluate the reasons for yourself on why you are applying for a MBA this year.

My MBA Admit
Khyati Soparkar, Lead Consultant
MBA Admissions Consultants
New York, NY

Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation

Just starting the MBA application process? Our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report is currently offered for $100 only! This 10-page report conducts a multidimensional profile evaluation, and provides you with a comprehensive list of business schools that match. Click to Find Out More!

MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com

Read the My MBA Admit Blog

Follow My MBA Admit on Twitter and Facebook!

Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA, INSEAD
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

Re: Good GPA at weaker school? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 08:33
For you the GPA component looks solid. I don't think you have anything to be anxious about there. You should spend your energy focusing on what you can do to make the other aspects of your application that are under your control stronger.
Re: Good GPA at weaker school?   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2010, 08:33