Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

good handheld/pda to help in better time management

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 928
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
good handheld/pda to help in better time management [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 13:14
offhand topic - but related to mba apps ;)
I will be interested to know how do most of you all manage the time? got handhelds?
Pdas?
or just plain old google mail..

i just email my self for things to do, and I use google calendar and todo for the tasks at hand...

Any suggestions?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 13:19
It's sort of stupid but I use excel.

I just list everything that has to be done and put a number next to it as to how important it is. (i.e. "Call the GSB student I met") might come in front of ("File printed GSB applicaiton"). Then I can sort based on the "number" and get my list prioritized in front of me.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 513
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 19:19
I just keep a sheet with list of items and a small check-box to the left of it. The priorities are in my head, and I check items off the list as I do them. Convenient, fast and I can fold the paper and walk around ;)

for reminders I use google calendar
_________________

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 19:22
Blackberry pearl was a godsend too. I can send myself a quick email when I think of something while walking down the street - "oh crap! I should call X!" or something like that.

Works quite well.

I like how my todo list looks these days - short and sweet:

3 COMPLETE DARDEN REC LETTER FOR LAZYRECO
5 PREPARE DARDEN INTERVIEW. CREATE 15 MINUTE NARRATIVE ON "TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF". HIT LD,TM,ET,CS,GM,WD,WN,WM
2 CONFIRM DARDEN TIMES/FLIGHTS/HOTEL

:)
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 02:48
rhyme wrote:
Blackberry pearl was a godsend too. I can send myself a quick email when I think of something while walking down the street - "oh crap! I should call X!" or something like that.

Works quite well.

I like how my todo list looks these days - short and sweet:

3 COMPLETE DARDEN REC LETTER FOR LAZYRECO
5 PREPARE DARDEN INTERVIEW. CREATE 15 MINUTE NARRATIVE ON "TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF". HIT LD,TM,ET,CS,GM,WD,WN,WM
2 CONFIRM DARDEN TIMES/FLIGHTS/HOTEL

:)


3 CONTACT DARDEN ALUMS RE CURRICULUM TOUGHNESS
2 PANIC
1 CANCEL ALL DARDEN RELATED TASKS

:-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 03:30
helg wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Blackberry pearl was a godsend too. I can send myself a quick email when I think of something while walking down the street - "oh crap! I should call X!" or something like that.

Works quite well.

I like how my todo list looks these days - short and sweet:

3 COMPLETE DARDEN REC LETTER FOR LAZYRECO
5 PREPARE DARDEN INTERVIEW. CREATE 15 MINUTE NARRATIVE ON "TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF". HIT LD,TM,ET,CS,GM,WD,WN,WM
2 CONFIRM DARDEN TIMES/FLIGHTS/HOTEL

:)


3 CONTACT DARDEN ALUMS RE CURRICULUM TOUGHNESS
2 PANIC
1 CANCEL ALL DARDEN RELATED TASKS

:-D


HAHAAHAHAHAHA.

Yea. That bout sums it up.

I slept on it, but haven't changed my mind. Darden's not right for me. I'll probably cancel my trip today and just eat the cost of me ticket.

Last thing to do then is to prepare for my GSB interview. Lord, that means I'll only have applied to 4 - HBS, Kellogg, Chicago, Cornell...
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 09:32
But you got interviews to 3 already (Kellogg mandatory), so your chances should be solid at this point for one of them.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 10:18
pelihu wrote:
But you got interviews to 3 already (Kellogg mandatory), so your chances should be solid at this point for one of them.


You know thats a good question for those of you good with math.

If the probability of an accept is say, 1/4 at Kellogg, 1/4 at GSB, 1/8 at HBS and 1/3 at Cornell, what is:

1) The probability that all accept?
2) The probability that at least one accepts?

I suck at math and cant solve it.

I think all accept is 1/4 * 1/4 * 1/8 * 1/3 etc.

The other one is trickier. the probability that one accepts is 1/4, if they dont accept (3/4) probability the prob that the next accepts is 1/4, so that means that its 1/4 + (3/4)(1/4) for the first two or 7/16 odds of accept. Now times the odds the next doesnt accept so that means now we have 1/4 + (3/4)(1/4) + (9/16)(1/8) which is 74/128 ... right? so the odds of not having that third accept are 54/128 - so again 74/128 + (54/128)(1/3) ... simplify the first part to 27/64 * 1/3 = 145/192 ...thus 76% of accept?

I suck at math.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 10:33
helg: Dear Rosemaria. I was very happy to get the interview invitation this week (applied in R1). How optimistic I should be about my admittance chances at this stage :?: Thank you :!:
RosemariaM: Congratulations :!: Getting an interview invitation is a positive step towards admission to the GSB. We plan to invite between 50-60% in Round 1. Prepare, be yourself, and relax. You'll do well :!:
:wink:
Copyright 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 413
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 16:04
rhyme wrote:
pelihu wrote:
But you got interviews to 3 already (Kellogg mandatory), so your chances should be solid at this point for one of them.


You know thats a good question for those of you good with math.

If the probability of an accept is say, 1/4 at Kellogg, 1/4 at GSB, 1/8 at HBS and 1/3 at Cornell, what is:

1) The probability that all accept?
2) The probability that at least one accepts?

I suck at math and cant solve it.

I think all accept is 1/4 * 1/4 * 1/8 * 1/3 etc.

The other one is trickier. the probability that one accepts is 1/4, if they dont accept (3/4) probability the prob that the next accepts is 1/4, so that means that its 1/4 + (3/4)(1/4) for the first two or 7/16 odds of accept. Now times the odds the next doesnt accept so that means now we have 1/4 + (3/4)(1/4) + (9/16)(1/8) which is 74/128 ... right? so the odds of not having that third accept are 54/128 - so again 74/128 + (54/128)(1/3) ... simplify the first part to 27/64 * 1/3 = 145/192 ...thus 76% of accept?

I suck at math.


2) The probability that at least one accepts?

Since the events are mutually exclusive (since the schools are supposed to make the admit decision independently), you can add up the probability of being accepted by each school.

The probability that at least one accepts
= P (K or G or H or C)
= P(K) + P(G) + P(H) + P(C)
= 23/24
= 95.8%

... pack your bags and get ready to fly....
_________________

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 928
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 16:53
1 - P(None)
1 - (3/4*3/4*7/8*2/3)
43/64
==> 67.185% you in Rhyme
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 928
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 16:56
The question is how you came up with individual probabilitys here..

I have been thinking of writing a patented algorithm ;)

which takes -> gmat, gpa, work experience, essay grade, schools acceptance rate etc and comes up with a number for each school!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 18:14
willget800 wrote:
1 - P(None)
1 - (3/4*3/4*7/8*2/3)
43/64
==> 67.185% you in Rhyme


Well poop. I like the 95% calc more :) 67% is low.

I suppose it could be higher - I mean I did get a Chicago invite and a cornell did too.

HBS stands at a 1/8 chance.

Going off last years figures for Kellogg, and my and pehilu's analysis, we can estimate an accept rate of between 33.5 and 52% for the midpoints of the 700-740 and 750-800 range, so lets say 35% - 7/20 odds for Kellogg. These may be a bit higher considering my application is truly unique and a professor should be "dropping by" the admissions office to support my application.

Chicago has an invite, we know that last year they gave out 60% interviews and this year are giving out about 50-60%. Their old yield figures were last reported at 67%, and selectivity at 23%. Unfortunately we dont have total number of applicants, so its only a guess but we can at least estimate my odds at better than 23%, and likely somewhat substantially so - maybe about 35% odds here - 7/20 as well. With two alumni recommendations, I'd venture it might actually be higher.

Cornell's an interesting one too. Median GMAT score, 690, which I beat. 36% accept rate, 1797 applicants. 46% yield. If we assume a general interview policy of about 60% which appears to be the norm around most schools, then about 1078 students are interviewed of which 252 attend. To keep that figure with a 46% yield, they'd have to dish out 547 offers, or about 50%. Given I have an interview my odds are thus 1/2 here.

With these figures: 81% odds overall...

Better, but not quite as high as I'd like.

Last edited by rhyme on 09 Nov 2006, 18:53, edited 3 times in total.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 18:25
Shouldn't your percentages be a little higher for Chicago and Cornell because you were called in for the interview by invitation only?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 18:39
pelihu wrote:
Shouldn't your percentages be a little higher for Chicago and Cornell because you were called in for the interview by invitation only?


You posted just as I started editing my post to include that info ;)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 18:42
willget800 wrote:
The question is how you came up with individual probabilitys here..

I have been thinking of writing a patented algorithm ;)

which takes -> gmat, gpa, work experience, essay grade, schools acceptance rate etc and comes up with a number for each school!


The problem with that is that you'd need source data on which to work. No school is going to just give you their database.
  [#permalink] 09 Nov 2006, 18:42
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Help in time management (quantitative) osdelga 2 18 Nov 2012, 21:10
Better score this time around... misterJJ2u 5 01 Dec 2007, 19:18
Idiom: As good as or better than bmwhype2 2 31 Jul 2007, 00:17
Time management advices... please help gter 2 15 Feb 2005, 13:32
Time Management ! christoph 4 12 Nov 2004, 01:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

good handheld/pda to help in better time management

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.