Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Good math, aberrant verbal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Good math, aberrant verbal [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2007, 04:10
Hello to everybody on this forum.

I'm seeking for assistance and guidance. On my both tests I scored below average in verbal section, although my verbal was always above 80% on various GMAT preparation simulator programs. I cannot get it what is the problem. My weakest point is SC. I usually score around 50% on it whatever I do. I've already read elements of style, a grammar book and, of course, I reviewed all the strategies offered in multiple preparation guides. It is humiliating for me. I spent a year in US in the grad school and speak fluent English, but my verbal is worse than my friend's. What should I do? Would appreciate your suggestions and thoughts.

[/b]

brainstorm

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2007, 10:37
I would be alot more worried if you had major problems in RC or CR. Sentence correction is alot more mechanical than those other two question types and can be improved on much easier.

Are you familiar with proper sentence structure? Do you know enough about the concepts tested on the GMAT SC questions, such as...

- Passive voice
- Parallel structure
- Modifiers
- Idioms

There's no trick to it. You really have to be familiar enough with these concepts so that you can just look at a sentence and be able to understand why it's incorrect or correct.

I'd be glad to go over some specific examples with you if you think that would help.

Artis
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 09:41
Hey Artshep,

I'm sort of in the same boat. I just took the test last month and did pretty well in the quant (48) but absolutely bombed the verbal (28).

Based on my GMAT prep test, I believe SC was the biggest pain point. Of course, on the actual test, I had to guess on the last 7 or so problems b/c of timing and I missed one of the RC passages completely.

Regardless, I am somewhat familiar with SC structure (passive, idioms, etc.) but still seem to struggle.

Can you offer any pointers that really helped you with SC?
Intern
Intern

I thought I knew [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 20:06
Artshep,

- idioms
- parallel structures
- misplaced modifiers

They are all my biggest challenges. I reviewed all possible parallel structures, but still make mistakes. It is another question with idioms. I learned by heart most of them and have a good overall feeling for them, but when they are placed together with other "noise" words such as "so as", "as..as", "so much as", I am sort of lost and cannot figure out the correct structure.

I am planning to buy another grammar book and review more suggestions from people on this forum. Since my last try, my verbal improved by 15% only, which does not correspond with the time I spent on it. I want to be more effective. Can you suggest anything on this?

Elena

brainstorm

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 21:03
Well, if you're familiar with all the theoretical concepts, then practice is your only friend.

Go through SC 1000. Take your time to analyze EVERY problem you got wrong and make sure you find out the reasoning behind OA (if it isn't obvious - post it to the forums.). Keep an error log, and after you crunch through significant part of the problem pool - re-run over problems from the log only.

I had to solve about 200 problems from SC 1000 (beside GMAT 800 done cover to cover) to feel more or less confident with SC. You may need more.
Intern
Intern

SC sucks! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 10:55
yeah man, i am having the hardest time prepping for the SC section. def my x factor on test day. any great ideas as to where i can buy some good books to give me the prep i need for this section?
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good math, aberrant verbal [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2007, 19:09
eokhonko wrote:
Hello to everybody on this forum.

I'm seeking for assistance and guidance. On my both tests I scored below average in verbal section, although my verbal was always above 80% on various GMAT preparation simulator programs. I cannot get it what is the problem. My weakest point is SC. I usually score around 50% on it whatever I do. I've already read elements of style, a grammar book and, of course, I reviewed all the strategies offered in multiple preparation guides. It is humiliating for me. I spent a year in US in the grad school and speak fluent English, but my verbal is worse than my friend's. What should I do? Would appreciate your suggestions and thoughts.

[/b]

My experience based advice is: instead of practicing yet more SCs, just focus on throughouly understanding 100 or so SCs. And I mean spending 10 - 15 mins with each one, carefully discarding each wrong option until you are convinced there is no other option than the right one.

Hope it helps. L.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2007, 12:05
wait, why do you think that would help? that is, spending 10-15 mins on each one? i realize you're saying to do that to build up confidence and understanding about how to properly attack a question, but when I have about a minute to do each question on the test, why would this strategy be helpful? thanks.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2007, 12:58
Have you taken a look at the Manhattan GMAT SC guide? It's working wonders for me...
  [#permalink] 26 Jan 2007, 12:58