Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 17:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Good MBA programs near Washington DC, and San Francisco

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AKPsi, ISA
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.53
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Good MBA programs near Washington DC, and San Francisco [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 00:28
My wife and I currently live in San Francisco and are considering either staying here or going to the East Coast (where she has many more job opportunities in her field, especially in Washington DC).

I know that there are great schools in NY, Boston, and a number of other cities, but have not hear of anyting in the DC area. Anyone know what the best MBA programs near our nations capitol are?

Alternatively, if we stay in the Bay Area (San Francisco), I would love to go to Stanford or Haas - but they are also some of the hardest schools in the world to get into. Anyone know more about other MBAs offered by Universities in this area (USF, Goldengate, SF State, USSF, UCSJ, UCSC?)

Thanks
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Good MBA programs near Washington DC, and San Francisco [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 02:13
Expert's post
This depends on what you want to get out of an MBA program. Obviously location is important, but you also have to take into account what kind of program you want (FT/PT), academic areas, placement in the industry/function you want to enter or remain in, fit, etc.

Going by ranking and my general knowledge, DC schools include Georgetown, GWU, UVA (if you want to drive a ways), Johns Hopkins (they have a DC campus as well as their MD campus), and some of the UMD schools.

SF area schools aside from Stanford and Haas include USF, SF State, and UC Davis (again, if you want to drive a bit).

Obviously not an exhaustive list and you should think about what you want to do with an mba, but hopefully this gives you a start. Take a look at the specific school threads on this site for more information on each.
Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AKPsi, ISA
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.53
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Good MBA programs near Washington DC, and San Francisco [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 20:39
Thanks Aerien,

My primary focus is entrepreneurship and, perhaps even more, technology/energy (clean). I hear there is a fairly strong tech sector in tech sector in the Washington DC area, obviously it is very strong here in the Bay Area.
Stanford has strong connections, entrepreneurship focus and a strong brand. Berkeley has a lot of connections, energy focus and a strong brand. Both are very difficult to get into.
Do you know good Georgetown, GWU, Johns Hopkins, USF, Golden Gate, or SF State are in these?

Thanks
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

Re: Good MBA programs near Washington DC, and San Francisco [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 09:35
Expert's post
Hi christianl,
Sorry, I don't know more specifics about those schools. Please take advantage of the school-specific threads on this forum as well as the Business School Guides forum for more information. Good luck!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

Re: Good MBA programs near Washington DC, and San Francisco [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 11:39
Expert's post
When you say entrepreneurship, I assume that you want to work for a startup, rather than starting your own business. If you want to start your own business, you don’t need an MBA. For working with startups, the most important thing is the network of startups in the specific industry in the area. The Bay Area is a hub for both tech and clean energy. Outside of the Bay Area, NYC and Austin also attract many tech startups/funding. I do not believe DC is particularly strong in the startup scene. Maybe it’s because government overshadows everything there.

Haas and Stanford are the obvious top options for you. As you pointed out, those are two of the most selective schools. I think your next bet is to look at the NYC/Austin (maybe Boston) schools for the location (CBS, McCombs, Wharton, Sloan, HBS) or at schools strong in environment (Fuqua, Ross, Yale) for access to similarly minded classmates.

Diversity

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, Strategy
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Good MBA programs near Washington DC, and San Francisco [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 07:01
aerien wrote:
This depends on what you want to get out of an MBA program. Obviously location is important, but you also have to take into account what kind of program you want (FT/PT), academic areas, placement in the industry/function you want to enter or remain in, fit, etc.

Going by ranking and my general knowledge, DC schools include Georgetown, GWU, UVA (if you want to drive a ways), Johns Hopkins (they have a DC campus as well as their MD campus), and some of the UMD schools.

SF area schools aside from Stanford and Haas include USF, SF State, and UC Davis (again, if you want to drive a bit).

Obviously not an exhaustive list and you should think about what you want to do with an mba, but hopefully this gives you a start. Take a look at the specific school threads on this site for more information on each.
Posted from my mobile device Image

I agree with Aerien. You may have to drive a bit if you're looking for location specific schools to attend. A University of Maryland school that is on the 2012 Businessweek B-Schools rankings page, http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings, is the Smith School of Business ranked at #42. You'll find yourself traveling at least a half hour, one way, if you live in Washington D.C. and travel to UMD. There are plenty of other schools listed on here as well but I thought this would help! Good luck with your move to the east coast.
Re: Good MBA programs near Washington DC, and San Francisco   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2012, 07:01