Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3066 [67]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [56]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [7]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: During the 1980’s approximately $50 billion in private investment capi [#permalink]
Kudos
eyunni wrote:
260. During the 1980’s approximately $50 billion in private investment capital is estimated to have left Mexico and added to the strain on the country’s debt-ridden economy.
(A) During the 1980’s approximately $50 billion in private investment capital is estimated to have left Mexico and added
(B) During the 1980’s it is estimated that approximately $50 billion in private investment capital left Mexico and added
(C) It is estimated that there was approximately $50 billion in private investment capital that left Mexico during the 1980’s and added
(D) It is estimated that during the 1980’s approximately $50 billion in private investment capital left Mexico, adding
(E) Approximately $50 billion in private investment capital is estimated as having left Mexico during the 1980’s, adding

Can someone please explain why 'estimated as having left' in (E) is wrong? I would appreciate if the reason provided is more helpful than 'sounds awkward' :))-.

I understand that 'estimated to be' is idiomatic but looks like 'estimated as' is also idiomatic.

$50 million was the estimated amount that had supposedly left mexico.

More than the grammar involved just look at E - it says Approx 50 mil is estimated has having left mexico - indicating that the estimate was that the money had left mexico - where as the it was the AMOUNT whose estimated value was 50 Million THAT had left mexico.

All things considered D sounds best.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [5]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Re: During the 1980’s approximately $50 billion in private investment capi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A, B, C are all bad because of the "and added"...the capital itself wasn't added to the strain.

E uses the very strange "as having", which might be grammatically correct but is clearly stylistically inferior to D.

D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The core problem lies in equating the capital 'leaving' the country with 'the adding' to the strain. Adding to the strain is an effect of the 'leaving'. Hence leaving should be given the prime status and be referred by a verb. The adding part should be referred by a 'comma + ing' present participle (, adding) and not by ‘added’. Therefore, we can eliminate ABC on that score alone. Between D and E, D outplaces E with the better idiomatic use of 'estimated that'.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
During the 1980’s approximately $50 billion in private investment capital is estimated to have left Mexico and added to the strain on the country’s debt-ridden economy.

(A) During the 1980’s approximately $50 billion in private investment capital is estimated to have left Mexico and added --> Looks like estimation was done in 1980. Illogical
(B) During the 1980’s it is estimated that approximately $50 billion in private investment capital left Mexico and added --> Same as A
(C) It is estimated that there was approximately $50 billion in private investment capital that left Mexico during the 1980’s and added --> Investment left and investment added. ILLOGICAL
(D) It is estimated that during the 1980’s approximately $50 billion in private investment capital left Mexico, adding
(E) Approximately $50 billion in private investment capital is estimated as having left Mexico during the 1980’s, adding --> Same as A and I hate Having. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
it is hard to realize modification between doing and main clause. in this case, two action is not separate and is considered one action. the action in doing can be context, reason, or effect of action in main clauses. the meaning relation is relation of reason, effect and contest and, so, is called versatile relation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Schools: ISB '25 (D)
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V32
Send PM
Doesn't D have a dangling modifier issue? It can mean two things imo:
1. During the 1980's approximately... - Author is trying to mean that it might have happened in the 1980s.
2. During the 1980's approximately 50 million... - The actual meaning of the sentence.

Could some expert help me out here? MartyTargetTestPrep
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [3]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
During the 1980’s approximately $50 billion in private investment capi [#permalink]
Kudos